Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM

23 posts, read 84,598 times

Advertisements

okay heres the issue... im 27 i have a beautifull 5yrold son and my very cool harley man... We are stuck in a bad situation that we thought would be beneficial to our future unfortunatley the 3yrs stay plan in fort myers fl is not going to work. We have been here since 2006 dec i know .. very short stay and want to bail. I am from alot of states and was born in germany airforce brat..to name a few Maine,new hampshire, staten island, way way upstate new york and upstate ny catskill area where we left to come to fl.I loved our tight knit small community in new york we are right by bethel (original woodstock site) and our community was super down to earth but we had to leave because my boyfiend got a really great offer in florida for a job transfer to harley davidson. Honestly said this is the scariest place i have ever lived. We are seeking to move to northern cali. My boyfriend rides alot, we all snowboard, my boyfriend hunts, i am very artistic, eco friendly, vegan, we all hike and we all love love the outdoors. We want to find an area that is affordable with a small town, liberAL minded,off the chart friendly and diverse community... i could care less for house to house streets im talking about 10 acre land for my organic garden, small well educated school for my son, driving 15 to 20 minutes to town at a non brand name organic grocery store, where the only thing that is trespassing on my property is a deer or some other beautifull wildlife.Very close mountains and rugged terrain. We are done with americas brand name villages if you get my drift. ALso biker and jeep friendly. extreme weatehr condtions we dont mind we have lived it all we just want to be happy . Any ideas at all i would greatly appreciate but we do have to be close to a harly davidson dealership. Thanks so much... much love!!!!! and if people know other states on the west coast close to my criteria i would love to hear about those place toooooooo!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 AM

378 posts, read 1,203,538 times
Look into Santa Rosa, and suburbs. Weather is good, I think prices are stable. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
My parents live near Atascadero and my in-laws in Sonora.
Both mountain towns with HD dealers. Atascadero is near to the coast, hot in the summer and cold in the winter a lot of high winds. Sonora is a old gold mining town that is recently growing larger sitting inland at 1800 feet in the sierra foothills. Sonora gets even colder and has a ski lift area, I hesitate to call it a ski resort as it is small. Summers get hot but dry at times.

Homes with land are everyone's dream getting more expensive each day. There is some great land up and around Sonora that is off gravel roads - Big Hill, Mountain Ranch, Columbia.

You just have to take a vacation and take a look around.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:30 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Try Susanville in the far north east corner of CA. It's out in the country and land is about as cheap as you're going to find it in California. Lots of hunting and fishing and the population is low.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Try Susanville in the far north east corner of CA. It's out in the country and land is about as cheap as you're going to find it in California. Lots of hunting and fishing and the population is low.
But they want a HD dealer near by. But they are everywhere, there probably is one in Susanville. Susanville is very nice, not hard on the eyes and has easy highway access.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:19 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
I don't know if there is a HD dealer in Susanville, but Reno is about 80-90 miles to the the southeast and they have a dealer (www.renohd.com) (broken link).

Old 03-15-2007, 08:16 PM

thank you and i am very greatfull for your inputs.... does anyone happend to know about little mountain towns outside of redding in the mount shasta area...and if so are these towns along the lines of what we are interested in?
Again thank you

Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
No HD dealer in Mt Shasta but there is one here in Redding...(60 miles south of)
you might look at cottonwood,, or anderson.. towns south of redding.. or even redding itself... but its pretty condservative here...
you might like it more coastal.. over in the redwoods,, perhaps Willits.. or Hopland.. although both of those areas are starting to be spendy... maybe even further north in the redwoods south of Eureka/Arcata... along coast hwy one.. still lots of alternative living and laid back people over there
I know bethel... My family has a farm in the catskills Claryville/Neversink... theres really nothing here like that.. California has grown so fast... but the communities I specd over by the coast would be closest in comparison
hope this tidbit helped

cam

Old 03-15-2007, 10:11 PM

yeah it did although my good friend said when she was in eureka arcata area it was really like a road kid town which she was at that time... and said it was not in my taste because it was too flashy or something i guess we are just going to have to travel out there . i have been reading alot of the threads and noticed alot of people are escaping ca basically for the same reasons people are escaping new york is that mostly concentrated in southern cali or is northern cali also too populated and americanized??? Neversink is so beautifull your lucky your fam has got a farm for you to visit there!!!! california just is one step closer to alaska we hope to buy land there someday
cam[/quote]

Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
I dont see a lot of threads about the redwoods.. coast highway one from San Fran north...

theres towns like guerneville that might fit your needs.. look at a map and note towns south of eureka on coast hwy one... theres even point reyes,, not a town per se but an area,,, even mendecino (town is spendy outside may not be)

no hd dealers for miles in these places, but there are many alternative thinkers exisiting in these areas... the hippies got grey hair and moved there,,, the rest of them are driving beemers living in the bay area.. awesome summers but rainy winters ( which leaves time for chroming the scooter!!!)

Irregardless of your decision,, if you come to Cali a coast hwy trip from San Fran to the north border is worthwhile...( after you see the zoo like city living youll be happy to seek quieter sanity that might be in the redwoods)
If you post up some more parameters of your specific needs Ill be happy to tour guide you from afar ( from the perspective of someone who was an east coast transplant and has lived here 30 years)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California