Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What other reason would somebody from out of state, many of who have never stepped foot here have to base their opinion of CA? As for spending time at LAX, no thanks, I hate the airport and how can you base your opinion off of an airport where most of the people are probably visiting from out of town anyways and Hollywood BLVD? What does that have to do with anything? Hollywood is not representative of all of CA it's like going to Manhatten and hanging out in Timesquare only and basing your opinion of NYC on that.
of course nothing is representative of the entire state, I was giving these two examples. I have lived in Ca, from San Diego to Eureka, visit at least once a year, have friends and family all over the state, a few love it, would never leave, a few have left and returned and others would do anything to get out. Most people who are giving negatives comments about Ca have been there, many have lived there. I agree, anyone who hasn't lived there can't possible have a real picture of the state. Heck my picture probably isn't totally accurate because I haven't lived there for so many years. This is like the gal a few weeks ago that started in on Texas, making comments about areas of the state she had only heard about or driven through in passing..She didn' have a clue. For those who have lived in a place, they, of course will form opinions. You decided to blast OK, I believe, have you ever lived there? And if so, where? SW OK is nothing like NE OK. Tulsa is nothing like Norman.. Here in Ar, Little Rock is nothing like NWA, We have many people here who came from Ca. I doubt there are a whole bunch of people in Little Rock that have re-located from anywhere in Ca.

Now a fair example of someone giving a negative opinion is Twinkle Toes I think. She lived in Texas, did not like it, she has her reasons and no one should take her to task for her views. This holds true for anyone not liking Ca. As I mentioned no state is perfect for everyone and for many, the stage they are in your life may play a part. Stacy who posts here sometimes, just moved back or is moving back. I may not agree with everything she says but she has reasons for loving Ca and hating where she lived. I am so happy she is getting a chance to return.

There are some on this forum that make rediculous statements, trying to defend Ca..Others are more rational, do not personally attack others and can give opinions that may not be shared by all, but keep these boards interesting to say the least. Attacking a place or an opinion is different from attacking a person..

I believe you are what I call a California Loyalist, which is fine as long as you don't get too defensive and don't take others apart for disagreeing with you. Do you get what I am saying or any part of it?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Swap "Nashville" with "Phoenix" and that's about where I'm at right now. Figures the economy would tank and job prospects would dry up the instant I try to move back...

Right now I'd probably take Phoenix in a heartbeat!! Anything to get out of Nashville as soon as possible. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me here. Hopefully we'll both be back in California before too long . Keep me posted on your progress.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course nothing is representative of the entire state, I was giving these two examples. I have lived in Ca, from San Diego to Eureka, visit at least once a year, have friends and family all over the state, a few love it, would never leave, a few have left and returned and others would do anything to get out. Most people who are giving negatives comments about Ca have been there, many have lived there. I agree, anyone who hasn't lived there can't possible have a real picture of the state. Heck my picture probably isn't totally accurate because I haven't lived there for so many years. This is like the gal a few weeks ago that started in on Texas, making comments about areas of the state she had only heard about or driven through in passing..She didn' have a clue. For those who have lived in a place, they, of course will form opinions. You decided to blast OK, I believe, have you ever lived there? And if so, where? SW OK is nothing like NE OK. Tulsa is nothing like Norman.. Here in Ar, Little Rock is nothing like NWA, We have many people here who came from Ca. I doubt there are a whole bunch of people in Little Rock that have re-located from anywhere in Ca.

Now a fair example of someone giving a negative opinion is Twinkle Toes I think. She lived in Texas, did not like it, she has her reasons and no one should take her to task for her views. This holds true for anyone not liking Ca. As I mentioned no state is perfect for everyone and for many, the stage they are in your life may play a part. Stacy who posts here sometimes, just moved back or is moving back. I may not agree with everything she says but she has reasons for loving Ca and hating where she lived. I am so happy she is getting a chance to return.

There are some on this forum that make rediculous statements, trying to defend Ca..Others are more rational, do not personally attack others and can give opinions that may not be shared by all, but keep these boards interesting to say the least. Attacking a place or an opinion is different from attacking a person..

I believe you are what I call a California Loyalist, which is fine as long as you don't get too defensive and don't take others apart for disagreeing with you. Do you get what I am saying or any part of it?

Nita

Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
sorry about Texas but I know Ca is where your heart is..Keep your chin up, something will happen..

Nita
Thanks Nina. I know it will eventually happen. I'm just tired of waiting. I'm so tired of being here in Nashville. I've lived in several areas in my lifetime and have never felt like this about any of the others. I keep praying everyday that it will happen soon and I can get my life going again.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Thanks Nina. I know it will eventually happen. I'm just tired of waiting. I'm so tired of being here in Nashville. I've lived in several areas in my lifetime and have never felt like this about any of the others. I keep praying everyday that it will happen soon and I can get my life going again.
Isn't part of your problem, your situation as much as hating TN? Spring is here or will be in a few days, you can get outside, get away from the relatives as much as you can and keep looking for the silver lining.

Nita

Old 03-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Isn't part of your problem, your situation as much as hating TN? Spring is here or will be in a few days, you can get outside, get away from the relatives as much as you can and keep looking for the silver lining.

Nita
Spring will help a little. As far as relatives; their 8 and 12 hours away. So they are not a problem. Some of the areas to go walk around aren't really safe by yourself here. We do go on weekends when DH is home. But I wouldn't go by myself.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Spring will help a little. As far as relatives; their 8 and 12 hours away. So they are not a problem. Some of the areas to go walk around aren't really safe by yourself here. We do go on weekends when DH is home. But I wouldn't go by myself.
wow, where do you live in Nashville? I thought the suburbs were very safe, especially during the day...

Nita

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM

We are in Hermitage. One of the best and expensive Apt's around. There are so many muggings around here. Just last week one of the complexes not far from here had problems. The Subway not a mile from here was held up. Just so much. It's not just here in our area, it's everywhere according to the news here. Especially with the economy tanking here now. More crime. People can not even get out of their cars and walk to their door without getting mugged. Just a couple of weeks ago they put a note on everyones doors to warn us about car break ins in the complex and surrounding ones. And we are in an upscale Apt complex that is gated. It doesn't matter. They get in any way. They were also telling all of us to keep an eye on each other because of break ins. It's really bad.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Unhappy crime and punishment in nashville...and tn!

Quote:
We are in Hermitage. One of the best and expensive Apt's around. There are so many muggings around here. Just last week one of the complexes not far from here had problems. The Subway not a mile from here was held up. Just so much. It's not just here in our area, it's everywhere according to the news here. Especially with the economy tanking here now. More crime. People can not even get out of their cars and walk to their door without getting mugged. Just a couple of weeks ago they put a note on everyones doors to warn us about car break ins in the complex and surrounding ones. And we are in an upscale Apt complex that is gated. It doesn't matter. They get in any way. They were also telling all of us to keep an eye on each other because of break ins. It's really bad.

i'm sorry you have been so unhappy in tennessee and so intimidated by the crime in the nashville area. as i have indicated in some of my posts, crime is pervasive in that area. please do not take it personally. although i have never lived in hermitage, i have experienced belle meade and two areas near west end in west nashville. crime happens everywhere, but those in urban areas live w/ the fact that violent crime is more likely to strike in higher density areas, something i'm sure you know. too, i'm sure you have heard of the several recent murders in the west nashville area, particularly the vanderbilt professor and his visiting sister. that is tragic, but so is all violent crime. i noticed one of your posts that ranked tn as #42 in a "well being" ranking. reportedly, this information is to be used by congress for its assimilation to each states constituients. it could be that the prevalence of crime here might have a direct correlation to tennesseans' feelings of dissatisfaction and well being. something to seriously consider. if you have further information that you are able to post on this timely and important subject, i wish you would do so. i understand that you are probably a little burned by your perceptions on crime in nashville. hopefully, not all of your tn experiences will be negative ones, before you are able to return to califormia. the best to you, and be safe.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
From the same report, The Bay Area in particular is one of the happiest regions in the nation.
Bay Area ranks high in contentment survey
It's gotta be the dope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California