Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM

44 posts, read 171,388 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move to CA from Wa. As I don"t have a job & hope to get one once I get moved,the location is open. I have a 6th grade child & I am a single 46 woman.Schools are important. Obviously safe, affordable neighborhoods are a need. A want w/be at least 1600 sq ft/2 story w/ bdrms up & a 2 car garage. Prefer a house vs a condo so he can play & won't be too noisy for neighbors I do banking (loan officer, escrow/title & construction) so hopefully I can be in an area where a job is not totally unavailable in one of those areas. Home $350k or less. Don't want (LA,SD)don't care for traffic & hope to have a calmer life.I am hoping that the outlying areas are still within reach.Prefer asian influence. Any such area(s)? I like the greater Folsom, Simi Valley & Santa Barbara areas. I KNOW I can't afford SB, but are there any outlying areas w/ good schools, safe, affordable neighborhoods? Where in CA could I get any of the above? I need your input. Can't take the rain & cold anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love that sunshine! View Post
I need your input.
Find a job first. Do you have offers in each of those cities? Are you applying everywhere?

Everything depends on where you find a job. Once you find a job the forum can help you decide on where to live.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 AM

26 posts, read 118,602 times
Simi valley is boiling hot in the summer and lots of highway noise and traffic. Nearby Agoura,westlake probably have good schools, better than moorpark or simi. Sbar is paradise also no commuting but that rental would cost $3,500mo. Asain influece? Sfran? ...do a lot of research first...sounds like you want a comfortable home instead of just squeaking by in a high rent area. ...chico? What kinds of places do you like?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Amazing. I would be a little scared to move to another area without a job or prospects for a job if I didn't have sufficient funds to get by for a year or more. I like Santa Barbara but doubt you can get by there. Many people that work in Santa Barbara live in other areas. To tell you how expensive it is a former COO and a former Senior VP for Cottege Hospital commuted from Ventura to Santa Barbara because of the cost and both were making in the 6 figures. Simi Valley would be more economically enticing, but I am not too sure about an Asian influence in that area. Many people that live in Simi commute to Los Angeles for work, including my sister and brother in law. Chances are that wouldn't work for you either. I know nothing about the Folsom area so am of no help there.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I think the job should come first, then the area and yes, Santa Barbara is pretty pricey.

I can't comment on the Asian influence. Simi Valley is a great place to raise kids and not as expensive as some areas: even then, $350,000 won't buy a whole lot. Someone said it is noisy. My brother lives there, we have never heard any unusual noise and visit quite often. It can be hot in the summer, so can Folsom..

I am sure you have done some research, it sounds like it anyway, but in case you haven't checked the overall views of these areas: Folsom and Simi Valley are both rather conservative and republican, the Santa Barbara area will be more liberal, if this makes any difference to you.

Nita

Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
SB would be inadvisable unless you are either independently wealthy, have a high paying job already lined up, or don't mind scraping and being very frustrated scraping in a tony place.

Folsom / Eldorado County / Placer County is probably a bit better right now price wise - Sacto is more jobful than SB.

Simi is the most jobful and but in between Folsom et al and SB price wise.

The major "Asian" hubs in this state are, in the following order (based on total #) LA (which Simi is closest to and SB a far outlier of), SF (Folsom's 2 hours away, similar to SB vs LA) and Sacto (which Folsom is right next to).

Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM

44 posts, read 171,388 times
Given that I am not working now (Loan Officer) and I will need to transfer my skills over to another profession, I am not missing anything by moving. I have wanted to leave the cold and rain and now is a great time to do so. Home prices are down, I only have 1 child at home and my career can move. My only concern is where to go. Ca is a beautiful place so that is why I am asking about the area(s) Folsom is more affordable, but my older son will be attending UCSB. I don't need to be in Santa Barbara as it is cost prohibitive for me. What areas outside of SB (w/i 1-2 hrs) are safe, not traffic congested and affordable? Is there such a thing? Schools are important. I had someone tell me to check out Temecula. Seems like a lot of traffic there though. I have some time as I don't intend to move until summer. Ventura seems to have some crime issues. I don't really need to be in an asian area, I just thought it would be nice for my child to have some to relate to. Thank you for your help and input. I can do all the research I can online and not get anything on what a local can tell me!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
How about checking out the Thousand Oaks area? There are some reasonably priced areas there, the schools are good, weather and views are great, and you could be somewhat near Santa Barbara.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 AM

534 posts, read 1,533,884 times
I lived in Simi Valley for 33 years and now I have lived near Folsom for the past 8 years! Simi is very safe, usually the first, second, or third safest city in the nation for its size, and it is within 1.5 hours of SB. Most Simi residents commute to the San Fernando Valley or LA for work. There are very few asians in Simi. Simi schools are excellent! As far as Simi weather, I do not find it any hotter than Folsom in the summer!!

My inlaws have an rv in Temecula - it is pretty far from SB, and you have to like inland/desert, it gets quite hot there in the summer, and I think the direction that most people commute is packed (much worse than from Simi.

Folsom is very nice, and has some diversity with East Indian folks and Persian folks as well - I don't know about Asian per se. I haven't heard anything bad about Folsom schools, and it is a more upscale area, not ghetto.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Go for Simi. You'll be reasonably near UCSB, in a safe hood, and with access to the wealth of Asian cultural and food opportunities of the heart of the Southland. Just in the SF Valley alone you'll find plenty, go over the hill and there's even more. North Hollywood and Hollywood east of the Hollywood Fwy (Thai), Monterey Park (Chinese), inner West LA (Korean) and many more. Plus the price is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California