Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM

39 posts, read 163,550 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would like to have more info about Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, CA.

I'm wondering should I go work there... I've never been to the West Coast. Is people any different than the people in the East Coast?

I saw high crime index which worries me...

Are there many Mexicans out there?

How is the climate during winter - October - March?

How is the shopping scene? Is it near and is it expensive?

Last but not least are taxes high in California?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,767 times
Here's the thing about Palm Springs. There are some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods, just like you see in the pictures but you probably have to have loads of money to live in one. There are secluded neighborhoods and gated communities too. There are however lots of gang members who work and play in Palm Springs and live around nearby in some of the other desert cities such as Desert Hot Springs, Cathedral City, and 29 Palms. I personally would not advise anybody to live in DHS, CC, or 29Palms but some people do and they seem to be happy but I could never live there and wouldn't want my parent's to live there. Yes, there are many Mexicans both legal and illegal in the Coachella Valley.

The climate is warmer than you would find on the East Coast during winter but it still can be pretty cold--it is the DESERT, where temps can change drastically.

Shopping is expensive. Everything is expensive but there are discount stores that some of the older folks like to frequent because they're old and they just like to do stuff like that. lol If you want the more fufu type stuff, there's El Paseo in Palm Desert where you'll find everything from Bentley, Ferrari, Prada, Rolex, and every other high end brand you can imagine. El Paseo is the high end shopping destination but there is also the regular stuff like Best Buy, Good Guys, Toys R Us, and Chevrolet. That shopping area is around 15 miles from Palm Springs. Palm Springs is residential--people don't usually go there to shop. Hope that helps.

Yes, the people are different. You're 3000 miles away from the Northeast. I don't think you would have anything in common with the younger natives but there are a bunch of transplants from New York and other snowbird states, that arrive in the fall and stay until late spring. After that it's all locals and full time retirees. I'm sure you could find some people from Boston and New York or the NE area.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,641 times
ask TwinkleToes about the Coachella Valley.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
ask TwinkleToes about the Coachella Valley.
There are some hardcore dy/kes and hookers out there too. Something for everybody....

Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,238 times
Default Re: Smoke Tree

Smoke Tree has hands-down the best look in that area of Palm Springs. I go out of my way to visit friends here every time I'm in the area. The owners/guests are the best and friendliest of any resort-style living in Palm Springs. John is a great host. The grounds are always clean and neat and a friendly atmosphere. A nice calm environment.
Joanna09.vox.com

Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Thank you all!!!
What about the Californian taxes?
Crimes in Palm Springs?
Is there any public transportation?
And what's going on with Swine flu?

Thank you in advance

Old 05-20-2009, 07:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
There are some hardcore dy/kes and hookers out there too. Something for everybody....
I'm confused ... are you calling me a dyke or a hooker, Jay???

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
BTW, there is shopping all up and down Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs. The shops on El Paseo are trendy and upscale, while the shopping on Palm Canyon is eclectic. I shop both places. The exotic car dealerships Jay speaks of are not on El Paseo, but rather in Rancho Mirage on Hwy. 111. Also, we do not have a Good Guys here, but we do have Best Buy. We had Circuit City but they are now defunct.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
BTW, there is shopping all up and down Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs. The shops on El Paseo are trendy and upscale, while the shopping on Palm Canyon is eclectic. I shop both places. The exotic car dealerships Jay speaks of are not on El Paseo, but rather in Rancho Mirage on Hwy. 111. Also, we do not have a Good Guys here, but we do have Best Buy. We had Circuit City but they are now defunct.
No, actually I don't recall mentioning your name. Do you?

The original topic refers to Palm Springs. My post had not been meant to replace any business directory but rather to give a general idea of the "Palm Springs" area. Most out of towners don't know the difference between Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, La Quinta but if you say "Palm Springs" most people have a clue.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM

What's going on with Swine flu out there? Here in Europe we don't hear good things

Anything about Smoke Tree Ranch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California