Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

Have any of you done this drive, or the reverse.? How long did it take and what time of year would you recommend? Any "attractions" that are noteworthy or should be skipped? Any guidebooks or article you would recommend? We're thinking of next Spring. Any input welcome,and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Have any of you done this drive, or the reverse.? How long did it take and what time of year would you recommend? Any "attractions" that are noteworthy or should be skipped? Any guidebooks or article you would recommend? We're thinking of next Spring. Any input welcome,and thanks.
Today there's been a post in the Calif. forum about a route from Chicago to LA, It's on the first page

Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
The 66 today is ill repaired and neglected. You will only regret missing it's highday by driving it.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
You might want to think about early June and check this out from this year: Route 66 Summerfest - A Missouri Tradition

Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
We drove from South Bend, IN (Notre Dame, it's about 2 hrs east of Chicago) to Los Angeles using the southwest route and if it were not for us getting sidetracked in Vegas for a week would have made it in 3 1/2 days. That's driving between 10-13 hours or so per day, stopping to eat, see landmarks etc.
I recommend the Southwest route (Interstate 40, 44, 57) versus the Nothern Plains route. I hear the NP route is flat and very boring, but possibly faster, but never actually drove it.
Also the Southwest route on I40 you will see old part of the old route 66. There are spots where you can actually get on and drive it too, that's pretty cool to do. You'll see old abandoned Gas stations and stores too, in some instances you may feel like your in a Stephen King film.
Attraction to skip would be in Arizona, the big crater. They have fenced it off and built around it to where you have to pay to get in...pay to see a crater that nature and our universe created, No thanks a picture in a book is good enough.
The Petrified Forest in Arizona was really cool though and you can hike all around there too. We went in March and the roads were dead and the places we stopped were pretty slow too, it was nice without tons of people getting in the way.
I'll tell you though, (If coming from the west) once you get out of New Mexico and Texas the rest of your drive is boring because thats OK, MO, IL. It gets flat and void of life and or any kind of scenery. Welcome to the Midwest, you'll know when you get here.
Have a good safe trip! And don't forget Vegas and south of Vegas the Hoover Dam!!!! Gotta see the Dam, It's Dam AWESOME!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 PM

212 posts, read 640,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The 66 today is ill repaired and neglected. You will only regret missing it's highday by driving it.
Actually there are many many miles of 66 extant and in good condition. Many "66" states have become much more aware of the significance of the Mother Road, and have done a good job maintaining it. There are big parts of it either un-drivable or just plain gone, but much of it is there and it's fun to drive. Many times you will have to travel the interstate, get off at certain exits, travel 66 awhile, then get back onto the interstate to get to the next "drivable" part of 66.

Go to the bookstore for these two books:
"Route 66 travelers guide" by Tom Snyder and
"Route 66 Adventure handbook" by Drew Knowles

And I disagree with skipping the Meteor Crater: yes you have to pay to get in, but WOW, once you're in there looking across it (and down into it), you'll be happy you paid a few bucks to see it.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Be sure to drive through Amboy, CA out in the middle of the Mojave desert. There are about a dozen people living there. Everybody has to take a photo of the sign at Roy's restaurant (now closed). Route 66 Roy's

Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

266 posts, read 1,003,072 times
Route 66 is intermittent.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I am older and I remember taking route 66 twice before there was an Interstate Highway.

The first time was 1954 when my uncle was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. When released we moved to the los angeles area taking route 66 in two cars and one pulling a horse trailer.

I was very young, it was summer, it was before the days of automobile air conditioning and I remember it very, very hot. My aunt got two bags of ice, placed them on backseat floorboards so we children could at least cool our feet down.

The second time was the early 60's when we visited relatives in Ohio. Very hot again, very long and all I remember is being stuck in the back seat between my two sisters. We had to take turns and when it was my turn it was child abuse.

While you do see the country be prepared to take twice as long.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
There are several areas of the old 66 you can still drive on. Way out in the desert we found a spot where a bunch of cars were abandoned. Thought we were in The Hills Have Eyes for a moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California