Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
This is an old topic that's been revived so i'll just comment on it...California's freeway system is old and not maintained very well either...I truly get disgusted seeing so much litter/debris along our freeways that it actually stays on there for prolong periods before it get's cleaned up or the wind blows it away.

Some of the signage on our freeways are really old and barely readable,while others are newer...We live in a beautiful state and we have the largest economy in the country and one of the largest in the world,but yet our freeways are in mediocre or in poor condition compared to the neighboring states of Arizona and Nevada which have top quality freeways in comparison to ours.

As a Californian I would rather have our money spent on repairing and maintaining our freeways before we start putting money into any high speed train....Californians need to contact our leaders up in Sacramento and the Directors of Caltrans and voicing our concern on the condition of our freeways and we want it fixed.

Considering the amount of taxes Californians pay for everything, and how wealthy CA is, our freeways and overall infrastructure isn't well taken care of at all. What the hell are Caltran workers doing anyways? Sitting on there fat asses all day or what?

Because I rarely ever see them fixing anything, unless it's major construction on something added onto the freeway itself, but never any maintenance work to speak of. Patch jobs are the norm, but trying to get them to repave an entire strip of craters and crumbling sections of certain roadways will never happen. Instead of patching things up only for the pothole to reappear a few months later, I don't understand why they don't just repave the entire stretch so they won't have to constantly come back every other month. It's a waste of time and resources.

You'd think the opposite if you are not from CA, that our freeways and streets would be in pristine condition, but in many ways, we have one of the worst shape infrastructure in the nation. Freeway over passes are old, signage are old, there's grime everywhere, unevenly paved stretches of pavement, and even when new, still isn't as smooth as Las Vegas freeways.

The state has the money, so I don't know what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It's poorly allocated by the Governor and the Legislature who spend it on pet projects to meet their political needs and desires rather than for the good of the people.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Yup I find it very odd that the wealthiest state in the country and one of the wealthiest in the world and with the amount of taxes we are paying we should have a top notch freeway system,but instead we have one of the worst ones in the nation.

Whenever I see Caltrans driving along the freeway,I wonder what goes through their mind seeing all the litter/debris,bumps,old signage,etc on our freeways.

I don't know what types of material Caltrans uses when resurfacing or patching up holes on our freeways but it seems like the material Caltrans uses is of poor/cheap quality...Arizona and Nevada seem to be using higher quality material when resurfacing their freeways.You can really tell the difference when driving on our freeways compared to theirs,and yup even our newer freeways aren't as smooth as Arizona or Nevada's.

The State does have money,but not much is going to our freeways from what it looks like...I love California,but our freeways are an eyesore for such a beautiful and wealthy state.

Quote:
Considering the amount of taxes Californians pay for everything, and how wealthy CA is, our freeways and overall infrastructure isn't well taken care of at all. What the hell are Caltran workers doing anyways? Sitting on there fat asses all day or what?

Because I rarely ever see them fixing anything, unless it's major construction on something added onto the freeway itself, but never any maintenance work to speak of. Patch jobs are the norm, but trying to get them to repave an entire strip of craters and crumbling sections of certain roadways will never happen. Instead of patching things up only for the pothole to reappear a few months later, I don't understand why they don't just repave the entire stretch so they won't have to constantly come back every other month. It's a waste of time and resources.

You'd think the opposite if you are not from CA, that our freeways and streets would be in pristine condition, but in many ways, we have one of the worst shape infrastructure in the nation. Freeway over passes are old, signage are old, there's grime everywhere, unevenly paved stretches of pavement, and even when new, still isn't as smooth as Las Vegas freeways.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I don't know what types of material Caltrans uses when resurfacing or patching up holes on our freeways but it seems like the material Caltrans uses is of poor/cheap quality...Arizona and Nevada seem to be using higher quality material when resurfacing their freeways.You can really tell the difference when driving on our freeways compared to theirs,and yup even our newer freeways aren't as smooth as Arizona or Nevada's.
They buy from the lowest bidder. Look at the new Bay Bridge fiasco with low-grade steel and materials from China and other problems.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
The asphalt quality is poor in CA. Yes, Nevada and AZ highways are extremely smooth and well kept. I believe this result is because of the intense heat which breaks down the asphalt much sooner over a short amount of time, so those states are forced to use higher quality materials in order to prevent quick deterioration.

CA doesn't experience 100 degree + weather on a daily basis, our mild climate allows the state to use the lowest grade asphalt and concrete hoping it will last a couple of years, but at the expense of people's vehicles suspensions and tires being trashed along the way.

Where I live, I remember just 3 years ago, the city repaved a long stretch of a street that was falling apart near my home, well as of this year, it's already cracking, it has small lumps now, and a couple of potholes have opened up. I clearly remember when it was freshly paved, it was great, the street was quieter to drive on, and now, I can tell it isn't as quiet, nor as smooth as the first couple of years as all the asphalt has worn away.

So this leads me to believe that the city didn't do a very good job at hiring good contractors. Slurry seal was used at repaving the street, and supposedly this method allows for long lasting effects, but it hasn't at all.

Local municipalities always are seeking ways to cut cost, so instead of tearing up an entire road that looks like it went to war and back, and completely repair the actual structure of the street which allows for a better, stronger foundation for the asphalt to go into, cities simple throw a bunch of new goo over it, and call it a day.

You wonder what are all the street division people doing in your local cities, probably on standby or taking a bunch of smoke breaks, because I never see a damn thing being fixed where I live.

Caltrans is quick to pick up trash, and re-landscape our freeways so they don't look so crappy, instead of doing what is truly needed, like making sure residents have a smooth surface to drive over. It's effed up.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:31 AM

240 posts, read 262,060 times
I think California, and especially Los Angeles could one day become a third world country.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM

626 posts, read 625,996 times
Quote:
The asphalt quality is poor in CA. Yes, Nevada and AZ highways are extremely smooth and well kept. I believe this result is because of the intense heat which breaks down the asphalt much sooner over a short amount of time, so those states are forced to use higher quality materials in order to prevent quick deterioration.
CA doesn't experience 100 degree + weather on a daily basis, our mild climate allows the state to use the lowest grade asphalt and concrete hoping it will last a couple of years, but at the expense of people's vehicles suspensions and tires being trashed along the way.
Where I live, I remember just 3 years ago, the city repaved a long stretch of a street that was falling apart near my home, well as of this year, it's already cracking, it has small lumps now, and a couple of potholes have opened up. I clearly remember when it was freshly paved, it was great, the street was quieter to drive on, and now, I can tell it isn't as quiet, nor as smooth as the first couple of years as all the asphalt has worn away.
So this leads me to believe that the city didn't do a very good job at hiring good contractors. Slurry seal was used at repaving the street, and supposedly this method allows for long lasting effects, but it hasn't at all.
Local municipalities always are seeking ways to cut cost, so instead of tearing up an entire road that looks like it went to war and back, and completely repair the actual structure of the street which allows for a better, stronger foundation for the asphalt to go into, cities simple throw a bunch of new goo over it, and call it a day.
You wonder what are all the street division people doing in your local cities, probably on standby or taking a bunch of smoke breaks, because I never see a damn thing being fixed where I live.
Caltrans is quick to pick up trash, and re-landscape our freeways so they don't look so crappy, instead of doing what is truly needed, like making sure residents have a smooth surface to drive over. It's effed up.
You notice the sharp difference between how the states maintain the roads as soon as you drive in to California from Arizona on the I-40. The road coming in Arizona is nice and a good quality, and as soon as you get into California it goes back to the road that the state looks like it's been using for DECADES with cracks and pot holes in it. Don't get me to actually start on the roads in and around LA because they are atrocious.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 AM

626 posts, read 625,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
I think California, and especially Los Angeles could one day become a third world country.
Are you kidding me? It is already well on it's way there.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 262,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Are you kidding me? It is already well on it's way there.
Agreed .... If only we had Mr. T years ago ... Don't forget to vote in November.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:41 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,123 times
Here in Sacramento, I noticed that Caltrans has been changing out the older freeway signage and installing new signage with larger fonts and highway number shields on brighter green backgrounds. They look much better and less cluttered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California