Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 PM

10 posts, read 33,472 times

Advertisements

New to the forum, hello. I lived in SLO years ago, spent my childhood there, graduated from Poly. Having lived in the PNW for nearly 20 years, my kids are nearly launched . . . I'm coming home. Can I have your thoughts on HOW I would do this, particularly in SLO? Single and 50, I'm leaving $50k/yr job in healthcare (a profession I want to get out of!), bringing retirement account/IRA's, will sell my home bringing $125k along with. Quite literally, I'm packing up very few things and starting over (exciting!). I know I won't be able to buy but am SO READY to get out of the rain and the depression I've dealt with over 1/2 the year, each and every year I've been here. How would I bridge over financially until I find a new niche? Hospitality and Wine Industry professions are of interest.

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated . . . thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 PM

24 posts, read 141,107 times
are you coming back to san luis? if so, welcome back!! im in santa maria..sugestions for being single? well, put it like this...if you come up with any good ones, let me know!!! lol

Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks ~ I won't have a problem being single back in SLO (I'll rather like it), I suppose I worry more about building a new network of friends . . . and finding a temporary rental that will accept my dog. . . not near alot of students (no offense, I just want quiet). I think my greatest fear is the threat to my financial state while I relocate and look for a job. Do you know of the rental situation in SLO during July-ish (students out, but again, I won't be looking for student rentals)? How might it be for someone with a big dog?

I fully expect to be making less than I am up here, especially making a career change and starting over . . . but I find it to be a reasonable trade-off for what I experience yearly with darkdampwet days over 1/2 the year.

Once a Californian, always Californian.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,693 times
The rental situation in the summer is really good because of the students being gone and there are many rental deals for homes and apartments. All over town, not just near Cal Poly. Many apartments will take pets if they are under a certain size, so if you have a small dog, it should be pretty easy to find a place. If you have a big dog, then you'll have to search more and you'll probably have to get a home instead of an apartment, I think.
Start checking out the classifieds at www.sanluisobispo.com and you'll start seeing better deals as we close into June.

You might want to consider Templeton or Paso Robles if you are interested in the Wine Industry, since there are so many wineries around there. And rents are cheaper than SLO. And you'll get even more sunshine!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 AM

Coming from a university town (Eugene), I know the rental scene will be best come summer, but I'm weary of what's available outside of 'studentville.' I was last living in SLO in '81 and I don't know how much it's changed.

One can search real estate sites to no end (which I have), but in reality, is there such a thing as a studio/small condo for sale in the mid-$200k's in SLO? Historically, I'm thinking Baywood or Los Osos has more hope for my budget.

Yes, Paso and Templeton are certainly alternative. I have a couple of old college friends workin' the wine in the Paso area, thought I'd connect with them in my search. Nothing beats SLO town, though.

Thank you ~

Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 AM

159 posts, read 810,667 times
You can look for rentals on craigslist that will accept dogs. Some have
pictures. Good luck!! I've been to SLO and thought it was really quaint.
The weather was wonderful.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Where was 'studentville' in the 1980s? We moved to SLO in 1990 and at first lived off California Blvd, near 101. That is definitely close to the school and very student-y.

We spent most of our time renting in the Laguna Lake area, a nice older neighborhood with very reasonable rentals. Some of the homes were occupied by students, but over half were families or retired folks.

Now we've been priced out and are living north county.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:31 PM

California Blvd. certainly has a dense population of students! 'Studentville' was everywhere it seemed. Even as far out as Shell Beach where friends lived and road their bikes in to classes every day (geeeez, can't even imagine that, now!). I lived on Montalban in the late 70's/early 80's, just next to the creek, both while in school and as a working stiff. While professionally employed in the area, my life was so different and the student atmosphere, by then, I had grown out of. My childhood was enjoyed around Meineke and Broad - fantastic and quaint old Spanish homes, now way out of my means. If only I had taken my Grannie up on her offer to buy her home . . . I'd be financially stable in a really great area!

After nearly 19 years in the PNW, kids now grown, I figure it's my time to do whatever the hell I want, wherever I want to live. SLO is home fto me and if I have to leave a profession in healthcare and play a barista for awhile . . . so be it. No one to support anymore but myself, time to be happy in a place I love. Certainly there will be huge compromises . . . I'm ready for an adventure.

Where do you live now? North country, meaning Paso, et.al? Oh, how I'd love to get my foot in the door at Justin Vinyards! Maybe it begins with experience as a barista. ha . . .

As a side note: I see people die every day. My age. Younger than me. Older than me, miserable. It has impressed on me, the free-spirit and hard-working/fun-loving person I am, that life is waaaaay too short. This has been my motivation . . . and I'm nearly complete (and extremely fulfilled) with my mission of raising two fine young men, successful in their own right. It is truly time for me and I'm ready for a great ride.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Yeah, we're near Paso now. I know nothing of the wine biz, except that my husband has fixed computers at several wineries around.

Sounds like you will have lots of time to pursue your interests and make things the way you want. Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM

68 posts, read 546,038 times
awisewoman,

You're not the only one! I'm 51, divorced, and taking off cross country (by myself) to California and plan on starting a new life before the dreariness of western Pennsylvania gets to me and I rust away. (I think Pittsburgh has the PNW beat for cloudy days.) I've made a list of all the things important to me and how I want to live, and I'm going to do it before I get too old and complacent. Life is too short, for sure. It takes more courage and risk-taking to lead a valid life than a safe one. Good for you! And the best of luck too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California