Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
So when the going gets tough... the tough leave state??? That's a pretty noble thing to do. (sarcasm) To leave state because you hate the weather is one thing, the weather will never change. But to leave because the state is in a slump after 50 years seems like she is just taking the easy way out. Not worthy of being published, but cute in a 2nd grade way.
Hmmmm! Is it "acceptable" to be leaving the state because it appears to be circling the drain and some of us don't have the desire or recovery time to go down with the ship no matter how noble that appears to be?

Doesn't really matter to us. Doin' it anyhow but just thought I'd ask for sake of argument. This attitude of reviling those of us natives who are leaving is reminiscent of the misplaced confidence of a certain long-haired cavalry general (actually, he was just a Lt. Col.) from 1876.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Hasta la vista, Candice. Don't let the door hit you on the...
Exactly. Ciao!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 PM

273 posts, read 655,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmmmm! Is it "acceptable" to be leaving the state because it appears to be circling the drain and some of us don't have the desire or recovery time to go down with the ship no matter how noble that appears to be?

Doesn't really matter to us. Doin' it anyhow but just thought I'd ask for sake of argument. This attitude of reviling those of us natives who are leaving is reminiscent of the misplaced confidence of a certain long-haired cavalry general (actually, he was just a Lt. Col.) from 1876.
A point well made. But, if you leave, it may not be too easy to come back. That's been proven. However, if you're leaving as in being retired, then you won't be coming back for the high wages, etc., correct?

Case in point: I left during the last recession and made so little money in comparison that part time work in CA looked good. I don't have time to give all the statistics, but let's just say people in my line of work made elsewhere 1/3 of what I could easily make here.

Sure, houses are more expensive, but a quart of milk costs the same everywhere. You get the drift.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
A point well made. But, if you leave, it may not be too easy to come back. That's been proven. However, if you're leaving as in being retired, then you won't be coming back for the high wages, etc., correct?

Case in point: I left during the last recession and made so little money in comparison that part time work in CA looked good. I don't have time to give all the statistics, but let's just say people in my line of work made elsewhere 1/3 of what I could easily make here.

Sure, houses are more expensive, but a quart of milk costs the same everywhere. You get the drift.
Retired and not returning. My children and grandchildren are scattered literally from coast-to-coast so living in mid-America has its advantages; financially as well. No need for a job and in CA we can't afford a retirement home on the banks of a large lake with an 800 mile shoreline like the one we just purchased.

If you have to work and earn enough to get ahead, CA is still golden in that respect!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM

230 posts, read 599,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
To leave state because you hate the weather is one thing, the weather will never change. But to leave because the state is in a slump after 50 years seems like she is just taking the easy way out.
Granted that the author is a fool trying to blame California for the fact she's in an industry that is dying everywhere, but CA is not in a "slump" so much as a long-term decline. The state has gone through slumps and rebounds within the context of that decline for the last thirty years or so, but the overall trend has been steadily downward and any success the state has in the foreseeable future will be in spite of itself. CA has not had a sound economic foundation for quite some time, and has lived and died on bubble economies for at least a decade. I don't see that changing.

Not that the dingbat author of this piece understands any of this; she thinks Prop 13 is the source of all California's woes. (She probably also thinks that the newspapers can come roaring back by adopting Murdoch's pay-for-online-content idea.)

Old 08-19-2009, 03:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. I imagine it was done tongue-in-cheek. It was kind of funny, I thought. And it appears that she expresses the sentiments of a lot of people who are not die-hard California fans (of which I am one). And how often many of us probably blame the place we live for our problems. (Okay, for the rest of us, let's sing the "I Love You, California" song now.)
I'm sure less than 1% of the population of California even knows "I Love You, California". It's only played at governors' funerals, the last one being Reagan's funeral. Except for Curmudgeon, a former state employee, and Nita, the wife of a former state employee, the rest of us most likely have never heard it even those of us who have couldn't identify it.

She did make some very valid points even though the newspaper industry is eating itself alive, and not just in California. Washington State is suffering less than the other western states (Colorado is also suffering less) and when true recovery comes will get back on its feet before California does. It's interesting to me that Washington is as liberal as California (with a few conservative pockets like CA mixed in) yet never has budget problems and has a functional political system. This heightens my belief that California's dysfunction is structural and that the state, in order to save itself, needs a new Constitution.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
A weird thing I've noticed, is that people like to announce they are leaving to the world. Why? Just leave, GO. On message boards, people announce they are leaving the forum never coming back. On this site, people announce they are leaving ____________ and not returning. Why? Insecurities about the move? I could care less who leaves and why. Just leave already.
That's because they want to be told "please don't go. We need you here. You are too valuable to leave California."

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 AM

273 posts, read 655,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
That's because they want to be told "please don't go. We need you here. You are too valuable to leave California."
Green smiley or not, that's actually true. I'm guilty of that myself. In another situation, but I didn't dis the people.

But before, when I left CA in '93, I wanted to get out of the car and spit on CA from the AZ border line. Pretty juvenile especially since I was back in 2 years.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 87,093 times
Some people won't be happy anywhere.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM

251 posts, read 825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoloist View Post
Some people won't be happy anywhere.
Correct! But they will be less unhappy in some places, than in others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California