Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

This is a great article about California. All of the predictions of the state's demise have been wrong, and will likely continue to be wrong.

In 2008, California's wipeout economy attracted more venture capital than the rest of the nation combined. Somehow its supposedly hostile business climate has nurtured Google, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Facebook, Twitter, Disney, Cisco, Intel, eBay, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap and countless other companies that drive the way we live.

California: Golden State Is Thriving, Despite Its Woes - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Interesting how this essay retools "the dream" as something held by "California" as a personified collective and not by "Californians" as living individuals. Whatever the subsequent rise of California as a metaphor, it is clear that the ability for average citizens to make a solid middle-class living by working at prevailing wages is gone in many many areas of the state. Yes, the rich and the poor will stay, but for the middle class, living in California has become a pass-through experience.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Interesting how this essay retools "the dream" as something held by "California" as a personified collective and not by "Californians" as living individuals. Whatever the subsequent rise of California as a metaphor, it is clear that the ability for average citizens to make a solid middle-class living by working at prevailing wages is gone in many many areas of the state. Yes, the rich and the poor will stay, but for the middle class, living in California has become a pass-through experience.
I think I agree with that, although I believe it's been a long time since California's big cities were economically "friendly" to the American middle-class. Housing has been more expensive in this state compared to most of the rest of the country for at least the last few decades.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Yep, it is time for the middle-class to hitch up the horses to the old covered wagon and head outta town!
I wonder who will pay for the California Dream then? As neither the poor or the super rich pay taxes. Of course that is a little over generalizing but you get my drift.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
A bit before my time, but I think about houses in Santa Barbara in the 60's that used to cost $20K. Your average run-of-the-mill tract house in suburbia, but think of how out of reach for most people these places have been for the past 30+ years.
And then came subprime loans, which I never "took advantage of" because half a million for a small stick-built house still seemed outrageously expensive to me. This never made any sense to me and I never thought about the larger ramifications we're seeing these days.
The American Dream is synonymous with having one's own place to live. Well, seriously, you have to go back decades to a time when this was true for CA....in a realistic way.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is a great article about California. All of the predictions of the state's demise have been wrong, and will likely continue to be wrong.

In 2008, California's wipeout economy attracted more venture capital than the rest of the nation combined. Somehow its supposedly hostile business climate has nurtured Google, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Facebook, Twitter, Disney, Cisco, Intel, eBay, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap and countless other companies that drive the way we live.

California: Golden State Is Thriving, Despite Its Woes - TIME
Take that list of companies and create a plot. Plot the IPO date versus profitability in a scatter plot. Oh, and the date axis goes to 2010.

Then tell me that everything is just fine and dandy.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM

Here's some contrary data:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...economies.html

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Take that list of companies and create a plot. Plot the IPO date versus profitability in a scatter plot. Oh, and the date axis goes to 2010.

Then tell me that everything is just fine and dandy.
Or alternatively plot IPO date versus the P/E.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM

The Time article presumes that Green tech, stem cell Frankenscience, foodie fetishes and all sorts of kumbaya navel gazing activity constitute "the official" future of the country and the World and therefore California is ahead of the curve.

To me, these are the dying embers of late 20th Century extreme decadence, and therefore, CA is going the way of the Rust Belt, or maybe the dinosaurs.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
As much as it pains me to say it, I have to believe that California is merely circling the drain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California