Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:55 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The fastest growing tech sector in the country isn't in CA by the way... that would be the Triangle in NC.
Fastest-growing doesn't mean the largest or the best-paying. NC Research Triangle is absolutely a great tech hub, but if you are a software engineer - especially someone who focuses on product development - it's tough to beat CA, especially Silicon Valley. Only Boston comes close. VC-funded startups are a way of life here that really hasn't been replicated elsewhere yet.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Regarding the whole discussion about California and "worth", I would say that the prices are what they are due to a perception that the worth is there. When the worth is not perceived as adequate, the prices will go to their appropriate level. Since real estate is still moving, a value is still perceived, and the area is worth the price.

Sure, the real estate prices are twice to four times higher than many other places, because this is where folks want to live.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I just mentioned on another thread that I even miss a particular commercial "Crazy Gideon". LOL.
So it is everything big and small and everything in between that California has to offer to my husband and I. We were not born in Calif but we both feel it is our home and I miss home.
That is so funny. We are in North Georgia right now missing the ocean too and my husband misses a car commercial for a place down in Florida, it's this older man with REALLY white hair and and enough energy for about 5 people. He has his little 3 or 4 year old grandaughter on there with him being all cutie pie. Don't know if it sells more cars, but why not!

Last edited by floridadreamer; 05-15-2007 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 08:59 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
I do not know your situation or where you live, but I can tell you I had a friend who had an autistic son that was struggling here in California. He moved to Billings Montana and for a variety of reasons Billings had great resources for his son and also they were able to buy something so very precious and irreplacable--time, not in traffic, but with one another. Just thoughts, don't know how relevant.
Thank you FairWeather, it is very relevant. We finally got the transfer we have been praying for for so long(10 years). The biggest deal for us is the time that we will be able to actually be a family. WE are in about a month moving to Texas.

Take care, MBG

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 AM

32 posts, read 207,524 times
To answer your question - no it is not worth it. I am a sixth generation Southern Californian - but I recently moved out of state so that my family and I could achieve our goals.

We wanted to live on one income. Nearly impossible to do in So Cal. It was hard leaving family and friends - but we know we will still see them. We wanted to breathe clean air. I wanted to be able to drink the tap water. Even my dog had to drink bottled water in Corona because the tap water gave her worms!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Exclamation Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondrwmn View Post
To answer your question - no it is not worth it. I am a sixth generation Southern Californian - but I recently moved out of state so that my family and I could achieve our goals.

We wanted to live on one income. Nearly impossible to do in So Cal. It was hard leaving family and friends - but we know we will still see them. We wanted to breathe clean air. I wanted to be able to drink the tap water. Even my dog had to drink bottled water in Corona because the tap water gave her worms!
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, Thank you! We also want to live on one income, atleast for the first couple years of our sons life. And even in Miami area that proved very difficult for under 80,000/yr income. I wouldn't want to live up in the mountains or in the desert to be able to breath clean air and stay home to raise my child. There are tons of other places with diversity in population, restaurants, museums and entertainment and even the ocean that don't require 200,000+ income.

I think it would be worth a visit, but I don't think I'd want to do more.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Oh dear, I'm so afraid, those darn Californians and BMW's . Well, move over Jonah K because we are coming if you like it or not and you can't scare us off . On your location it says that you live in Hawaii and California. Hmmmm....so you can live there but we can't? . I think not.
The more Californians living in Hawaii the better it will be for me. I love Californians, so I will feel right at home. The more Californians, the merrier.
You're more than welcome to move to Hawai'i; however, instead of spending time with Californians on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific, I'd rather spend my time with them in their native environment.

Considering that many folks who call themselves "Californians" were born somewhere else, I'm not going to say "the more Californians, the merrier", especially when I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic in either California or Hawai'i.

Although my family is Native Hawaiian, we've had ties to California since the late 19th Century. If some of my ancestors hadn't invested in California real estate years ago, I'd probably be dividing my time between Hawai'i and Las Vegas.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
You're more than welcome to move to Hawai'i; however, instead of spending time with Californians on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific, I'd rather spend my time with them in their native environment.

Considering that many folks who call themselves "Californians" were born somewhere else, I'm not going to say "the more Californians, the merrier", especially when I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic in either California or Hawai'i.

Although my family is Native Hawaiian, we've had ties to California since the late 19th Century. If some of my ancestors hadn't invested in California real estate years ago, I'd probably be dividing my time between Hawai'i and Las Vegas.
Jonah K,

I have family living in Maui since the mid 80's. I have 2 nephews who were BORN and raised in Maui. I am not living off any ancestors investments. My husband and I made our own money. When we do finally get to buy a condo in Hawaii, it will be with the money we earned.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Jonah K,

I have family living in Maui since the mid 80's. I have 2 nephews who were BORN and raised in Maui. I am not living off any ancestors investments. My husband and I made our own money. When we do finally get to buy a condo in Hawaii, it will be with the money we earned.
That's good and all; however, being born and raised in a particular location is not the same as being indigenous to it. For Native Hawaiians, the land is an ancestor -- it's not something to be bought and sold as a commodity. Unfortunately, by the time Native Hawaiians understood the nature of capitalism, most were dispossessed of land that their families had lived on and cared for generations. Few folks that purchase real estate in Hawai'i understand or appreciate the genealogical ties that Hawaiians have to the land. Hopefully, the history of the land and the indigenous population of Hawai'i won't be forgotten like that of the Tongva that occupied the land that comprises Manhattan Beach, California.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:01 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Nobody is saying to forget about the history of Hawaii.

Being born and raised in Maui "is" the same as anyone else born and raised in Maui. Nobody is better then the other.

I hope you are saying that none of your "ancestors" sold any of their land for profit.

Last edited by Roma; 05-16-2007 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California