Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:10 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
<snipped>

The winters are extremely mild - not even that much rain truly. (use the city data website it's true to form) It gets cold enough one or two nights a year to produce a slush snow of half and inch - although this year was the coldest it's been in a while

<snipped>
The one winter I lived through when I was in Sacramento (1990-91), was supposedly the coldest on record up to that time. I remembered in January that it got down to the low 20s for a few nights, cold enough for ice to form in front of my front door.

I could also remember the tule fog around Christmas time. It was VERY scary to drive when the fog was so thick that you couldn't see street signs until you were actually right at or underneath them. My experience anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM

223 posts, read 281,283 times
check out san jose.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:00 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
^I'm open to San Jose. How is the cost of living in there, compared to Sacramento?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 86,239 times
Be careful, as there are some horrible areas in Sacramento.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 31,668 times
So only one really awesome Cali city is discussed here. What do people think of Eureka? And/or Arcata?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 PM

^By all means, let me know what your thoughts are. I know it's California, but how is the cost of living compared to other places in the state?

It wasn't my intention to have this thread solely about Sacramento. I'm very interested in hearing about other cities as well.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 31,668 times
Well, now I'm a bit embarrassed. I was hoping others would weigh in on their opinions. I've ony been here a few months. In talking to people here it's cheaper than other California towns and cities. I think it's gorgeous; it's temperate so if you want really really hot weather, I would say don't be here. It's been in the high 50's and low 60's for quite a while now. Sunny everyday. It also rains frequently, but the sun always comes out. I think it's a very walkable, bikable area, if you are interested in that kind of thing.

I can't compare it to other cities, but I can tell you everything I know about it. Reading your posts about what you are looking for, I can tell you it offers all that. My biggest complaint is the job market here is not super great. Though I did just get a really awesome job (at a fairly big pay cut from what I was making when I lived in Wisconsin, where I grew up).

Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM

The job market could be a concern for me, given the generally narrow field of options for which I'd be qualified - property management, office/clerical, retail supervision or receiving management/administration. In some way or another, I'm sure no matter where you go you can always get a retail job or something along those lines, until you're able to secure a better position in your field. But the problem there is that those kinds of jobs don't generally pay enough to sustain you in a place like California. And since Eureka isn't really a huge place, it could pose a bit of a problem. Otherwise, I'd probably be there in a heart beat.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Sacramento is high crime:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Violent crime is twice the national average and property crime about 40% higher than the average.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:15 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 03:49 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,894 times
Sac does have a very high crime rate. You couldn't pay me to live there again. Lots of traffic on every road & HWY. I lived in Sac for 10 years. I moved to a small town 30 minutes away (Granite Bay). No murders. We do have theft (cars & a couple of home invasions). We have 2 sex offenders that are reg. in this area. GB has really grown over the last 5 years. Tons of folks from the bay area and s. ca have moved here. We have lots of McMansions. There are only 3 bad areas in GB- 2 troubled trailer parks & one street with low rent 4 plexes. Home prices have gone through the roof. We are a block away from Folsom Lake. Only 1.5hr away from Tahoe. 2hrs from SF.
Now there are over 100+ foreclosures in this area.

You will have to deal with the horrible fog anywhere in the Valley.

We are looking at different areas in CA & Oregon, so can retire and have the kids finish school.

I like Northern CA far more then S. CA. Except for the Lake Arrowhead area. Seems like a nice area. I want to find more info on that area.

Roseville, Auburn, Loomis and Rocklin are all nice areas of N. CA.

Last edited by CADRMNDANES; 05-25-2007 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California