Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

why is there just cities and un-incorporated communities (census designated places and census tracts) in california? why no villages or townships?

i think it would be so much easier to call un-incorporated communities villages or towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Because that's an east coast(or even european) thing. They aren't villages or townships. They're just places. I might call something like Solvang a village, but that's because it looks like a village.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Because that's an east coast(or even european) thing. They aren't villages or townships. They're just places. I might call something like Solvang a village, but that's because it looks like a village.
So we have cities and communties also known as places? why not call a community or place a town though? and make it simple.

West Coast:
-city
-community/place

East Coast
-city
-township
-village (within villages are hamlets)

Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
Because there are no towns on the west coast it's just one continious suburb from the washington/canadian border to mexico.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Rossmoor is an unincorporated community, and goes by such. Village or Township indicates some kind of formality(infact the US census classifies a Village or Town as an incorporated place because they have in place governments and various states, such as many northeastern states, have townships, villages, etc as a formal designation for an incorporated community), and there is no formality to an unincorporated area. An unincorporated community in CA is just that. It has no official government and all services are provided by the county or contracted with a nearby city.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
That's interesting that there aren't too many cities/place names ending in "ville" in California (Porterville is one.) When me moved to Huntsville my native California wife sighed and said 'We're moving to a "ville"': so plain, so fly over state, so generic, no spices, pickup trucks, no diversity, so boring. She's sort of right.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM

so i guess there are cities/towns and un-incorporated communities in west coast. and cities and townships and villages and hamlets in east coast.

ugh, but i wish un-incorporated community were called something else. and the fact that town is another word for city is also annoying. town usually referring to smaller cities.

i just refer to my hometown then as a community near the nearest city or as a town.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's interesting that there aren't too many cities/place names ending in "ville" in California (Porterville is one.) When me moved to Huntsville my native California wife sighed and said 'We're moving to a "ville"': so plain, so fly over state, so generic, no spices, pickup trucks, no diversity, so boring. She's sort of right.
Such "villes" as there are in California are either in the central or northern sections, such as:

Porterville (already mentioned)
Susanville (Lassen Co.)
Cedarville (Alturas Co.)
Roseville (Placer Co.)
Garberville (Humboldt Co.)
Guerneville (Sonoma Co.)

I am trying to think of some in the Southland but haven't as of yet...

Amazing, that the term "-ville" is from the French, who at one time in many parts of the world were considered THE standard for that which is sophisticated. Now any town in USA with a "ville" is considered blah. I wonder how that happened. Perhaps too many of them?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default why aren't un-incorporated communities in california called towns?

Because California prefers to have "hoods!"

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
We don't have a lot of bergs either unless it was named after a berg back east. Everything here is named after a Catholic saint in Spanish. You don't see much of that in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California