Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,035,871 times

Advertisements

How many folks have made it out to the redwood forest to relax and enjoy themselves over the past couple of months? I'm hoping to visit there again in about 4 weeks. I think that a good description for the experience in the northern redwoods, is California's version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip. No polar bears, but there are bears, deer, elk and mountain lion. Although most folks like seeing the elk and deer, and that's the was it usually is.

When people ask "where is the best place to see redwood trees", my response is almost always the north redwoods like Rockefeller Forest or Jedediah Smith. Unless just a day is available, then maybe Montgomery Woods. Muir Woods is beautiful, but has more of a city park feel to it. Not the wilderness feel of Prairie Creek or Redwood National Park. Especially autumn to spring when fewer people go.

Took my mother at age 90 to see the redwoods for the first time, two years ago, and she said it was the most peaceful place she had ever been.

The New Year is here. Any of you feel like you want a place to go to relax, peacefully think through some decisions, or start the year with an excellent adventure? Winter is a great time in the redwoods. One of the best for me. Most is greener, brooks are flowing and the air is washed clean.

With all the negative political and economic news of the past year, the tranquility in those north parks would seem to be the perfect medicine for some folks.

The one pic is 'Mutant Redwood' in Prairie Creek. The man is someone I explore with who is into photography, from Trinidad. The other pic is one of the creeks. I was getting water, since I carry a filter in my daypack.

Attached Thumbnails
California Version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip: North Redwoods-mutant_700.jpg   California Version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip: North Redwoods-lost_700.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 01-03-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,776,352 times
Thanks for the pics MVaden!

I live a couple hours away from the redwoods, and I can't visit them enough. Winter or summer.
To quote your Grandma and Ed Abbey "this is the most beautiful place in the world.........................................ther e are many such places..."

Great to think and appreciate, especially with the coming of a new year.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks for the pics MVaden!

I live a couple hours away from the redwoods, and I can't visit them enough. Winter or summer.
To quote your Grandma and Ed Abbey "this is the most beautiful place in the world.........................................ther e are many such places..."

Great to think and appreciate, especially with the coming of a new year.
Until we moved back up here near Beaverton, we were 2 hours away too, in Applegate Valley with a Jacksonville, OR address. The one thing I missed most about southern Oregon, was ... the redwoods. Jed Smith was but 2 hours west.

I would drive there every two weeks to go hiking and exploring.

One of the smaller things I found which was pretty cool looking, were these Trilliums in Redwood National Park.
Attached Thumbnails
California Version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip: North Redwoods-trillium_700.jpg  

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM

21 posts, read 62,373 times
Default Living the dream

Its funny, I have been in Humboldt for over 25 years and I never seem to get tired of going out and about. It always feels 'new'! Nice pics. There is always someplace to be outdoors even when the weather is wet and uncooperative. Good to hear you got your mother out. Mine is 70 and I still take her out to fish every so often. Its thrilling for her to reconnect with the outdoors. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
California Version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip: North Redwoods-stonelagoon.jpg  

Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone_girl View Post
Its funny, I have been in Humboldt for over 25 years and I never seem to get tired of going out and about. It always feels 'new'! Nice pics. There is always someplace to be outdoors even when the weather is wet and uncooperative. Good to hear you got your mother out. Mine is 70 and I still take her out to fish every so often. Its thrilling for her to reconnect with the outdoors. Cheers!
The lagoons are nice. I've just stopped for photos and to relax near those. The birds are nice to watch. That the area is not very close to SF sure keeps it mellow around there, almost all year.

I'd like to get down to Rockefeller Forest next spring, plus drop in on Garberville. Pretty sure this month will be Prairie Creek and Tall Trees Grove if I make it down, hopefully late January.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,514,277 times
Just took a mini road trip up to Eureka over the holidays. We stayed in Garberville too, did the Ave of the Giants, Confusion Hill, drove through 2 trees, let the dogs run around. I agree, I love this time of the year up in groves, everything is vibrantly green and tranquil. One of my favorite places on earth.

If you stay in Garberville just don't eat at that Italian/Mexican restaurant Sicilitos horrid service! That was the only downer of the entire trip.

It is beautiful up there.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-09-2010 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Just took a mini road trip up to Eureka over the holidays. We stayed in Garberville too, did the Ave of the Giants, Confusion Hill, drove through 2 trees, let the dogs run around. I agree, I love this time of the year up in groves, everything is vibrantly green and tranquil. One of my favorite places on earth.

If you stay in Garberville just don't eat at that Italian/Mexican restaurant Sicilitos horrid service! That was the only downer of the entire trip.

It is beautiful up there.
All the reviews I've read for Confusion Hill have been good. Haven't been there yet.

Will keep that restaurant in memory. Somehow Italian and Mexican seems like odd combination. Took me a while to get used to KFC and Taco Bell being together in some locations.

Next time I get near Avenue of the Giants, it will probably be like last time, arriving around 2am in the morning when its pitch black. Too dark to find a campground, I just park by Founders Grove and nap until daylight.

We sold our 18' Komfort travel trailer, and converted this cargo trailer instead. Like a tent on wheels, but better. With more mattress area than a Queen size, plus oak cabinets and heaters. I have a TV & DVD player for it too. Its so lightweight, I can get from Portland to Crescent City on one tank of fuel.

Attached Thumbnails
California Version of an Alaskan Wilderness trip: North Redwoods-redwood_trailer_www.jpg  

Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,811 times
Most definitely agree the off season is a great time to go to Redwood Natl Park. Few crowds and you can enjoy the tranquility of the forest more fully. It is also a great place for older people or those less athletic as many of the trails are easy to moderate for hiking.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 62,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Somehow Italian and Mexican seems like odd combination.

Actually both have heavy Spanish influence and they blend very well. I had a girlfriend whose mother was from Mexico and her father was from Italy, boy was she a good cook!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone_girl View Post
Actually both have heavy Spanish influence and they blend very well. I had a girlfriend whose mother was from Mexico and her father was from Italy, boy was she a good cook!
I'll take that as a vote for Mexican / Italian in general, but not neccessarily for the Garberville place.

Looks like the end of January is still going to work out for the drive down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California