Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: college, work ethics, education, degree master.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 13,765 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a high school senior from Phoenix, AZ and I'm involved in the application process at the hyper-selective and tiny all-male Deep Springs College. The college only grants an AA, charges no tuiton, and provides a student faculty ratio of 1:5, seeing as in there are only 30 students and 6 professors, so it is definetly a very unique institution. Also, the college is located 1 hour away from Bishop, the nearest source of human civilization, and is a work college, meaning that students are assigned tasks aroung the college, which doubles as a ranch, ranging from slaughtering cattle to irrigating and harvesting alfalfa fields.
Now I know that up until this point it may sound kind of crazy to put myself through this for 2 years, but there are some huge positives too. First and foremost, 50% of its graduates transfer to Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Dartmouth, Brown, and Stanford, with the other half transferring to various prestigious public universities and liberal arts colleges. Also, I sort of like the idea of spending 2 years doing some hard physical, cowboy work and just experiencing a different way of life, I live in the most suburban town on the planet, and just building a stronger work ethic.
However, I've never really done hard work before, the hardest it's ever been for me has been mowing the lawn or washing my dog. Has anyone on this site every worked on a ranch or farm, and if so how hard is it? Do you feel enriched by the work? How's rural college life? Is it too boring or does the intense sense of community make it worth it? Remember it will only be for 2 years but I don't want to screw up what are supposed to be some of the best years of my life, but if I could come out much, much stronger than before I'd definetly be willing to do it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink Only for love

Only if you'll love it. Deep Springs College appears to be an excellent institution that anyone would be fortunate to be accepted into. But surely not for everyone. I'd bet they are serious about, "lives of service to humanity." Are you?

As for the ranching aspect of this, yes, it is hard work. Hard physical work that will give you a new appreciation of what you are really capable, and also what physical exhaustion is. It is much more demanding than you likely appreciate. But if you are so inclined and the work is not bogus (as in a make work program, which I doubt) then it can be very rewarding. If you have doubts about this (and you can never be entirely prepared) you might volunteer on some nearby ranch or farm for several days. Get your hands on the earth, and dirty.

I also wouldn't overlook that you will be leading a rural existence, which for anyone used to city life is something of an adjustment. To put it mildly. Nearby Bishop, CA may begin to seem like the big city to you, but it is still a small provincial town in a remote area. Nothing like Phoenix, AZ. But rural life also has its attractions, and you might even like the relative peace and quiet. Also, as an all boys school, have you considered just how important girls are to you, and just how often or easily you might conceivably see them?

It seems one would graduate 2 years hence with an excellent foundation from which to proceed. But if your only interest is what can be derived, you'd probably have an easier time of it elsewhere. In other words, this will only work if you belong there. Not everyone will. Take to heart their creed and what they stand for and if in your heart you deeply agree then you should do well, and all the hard work more than worth it.

Be honest with yourself.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,765 times
I wish I knew what I really wanted. The thought of spending 2 years living as a cowboy is romantic, and I have done some work on a farm, albeit nowhere near the amount of work I will be doing, and it wasn't too bad. Again I really fancy the idea becoming a vaquero, but I just want to know what life will be like. Honestly I don't think that I'll miss the city at all, and it'll only be for 2 years so it won't be that bad. I guess what I'm just worried about is the work, which is both what draws me most to the school and what pulls me away too. Weird I know but I'm only 17 and this would be so new to me.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
If you get accepted, I'd say you're crazy if you don't go. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can see a very strong networking base being established for you as result of being one of the few students to attend Deep Springs.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I was a city boy until I started work for the California Division of Forestry when I was 19. I went from 6'1" 125 pounds to 180 pounds in 6 months. I found out that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and that a whole bunch of things I thought would kill me weren't that hard. I was also a real smart as* (I guess I still am ) and learned how to work as a team member too.

I've drawn on that experience my whole life and would highly recommend it to you as well. Throw in an education on top and you've got a winning combination.

Good Luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I agree that if you are accepted, you should do it. I can understand why the work is daunting, but they'll know you're a city slicker and I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly if you have the right attitude. Young men and women enter military basic training every day and they survive. You'll be fine.

I spent a semester in England as an exchange student when I was in college, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Yes, I was homesick and had some struggles, but I went from living at home to being a pretty independent person. It was GREAT.

What an exciting opportunity for you! Yes, there will be downsides, such as loneliness, a demanding schedule, a lack of girls (assuming you're hetero), and maybe some hazing. But as the "CA Central Coast" poster pointed out, this is a wonderful chance to build an excellent network, like being in a good fraternity. Look into any bad stories, but with such a tiny group and so many teachers, I bet there aren't many.

I lived in suburbs all my life, and I love to get away from the crowds and cars and buildings to see real trees, lakes and animals. Clear skies. QUIET. I just get tired of the noise, and sometimes I wish I lived on a farm and lived a quieter life. The work wouldn't scare me ... I come from a family of farmers.

I think you should go.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 8,692 times
Step out of your "comfort zone"...Life is only worth living if you make it an adventure and take risks. You will probably be sorry if you pass up this opportunity!
Yes, being on a ranch is hard work but it builds character and integrity. We learn the most from life during the "tough times". You will be enriched and empowered by the experience so "Go For It" and Best of Luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
First off, Deep Springs is highly selective. One of my colleagues who is undoubtedly one of the smartest people in the country went there. He was a national merit scholar, as are many others. So, it would be an honor to be admitted. I worked out of Bishop for years. It is a gorgeous area, and if you are a city boy, I think you would find it both beautiful and interesting. However, it is isolated, and having a small cluster of hyperintellectual nerd types out in the high desert is a bit odd, and unless you are psychologically well-adjusted, could conceivably be trying. On the other hand it is a true "Hogwarts" type academy, where you will be hanging out with some of the absolutely brightest kids in America, and learning skills and self-sufficiency. I would not worry about blowing the "best years of your life." If the best years of your life are over by 20-21, you need to give that some serious thought. You will be strengthened, have a better perspective,and a very prestigious and unique pedigree. There is absolutely no way it will diminish your life or hold you back. Quite the opposite.

If I were you, and I were a stellar high school student, I would certainly give it a swing. Getting selected is a longshot anyway, but if you do, grab life by the reins and enjoy it! You will most likely go on to some huge, impersonable, but highly prestigious university later. Best of luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
Lionel, if you can get in, it will be the best thing you ever did. Deep Springs is unlike anything else. I have run into students, looking very much like cowhands, out in the hills pushing cattle, and able to discuss in depth serious issues.

Hard work? It is real work, you will come in every day that you work with a sense of satisfaction that no factory or office job could ever give you.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelmorales View Post
Hi I'm a high school senior from Phoenix, AZ and I'm involved in the application process at the hyper-selective and tiny all-male Deep Springs College. The college only grants an AA, charges no tuiton, and provides a student faculty ratio of 1:5, seeing as in there are only 30 students and 6 professors, so it is definetly a very unique institution. Also, the college is located 1 hour away from Bishop, the nearest source of human civilization, and is a work college, meaning that students are assigned tasks aroung the college, which doubles as a ranch, ranging from slaughtering cattle to irrigating and harvesting alfalfa fields.
Now I know that up until this point it may sound kind of crazy to put myself through this for 2 years, but there are some huge positives too. First and foremost, 50% of its graduates transfer to Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Dartmouth, Brown, and Stanford, with the other half transferring to various prestigious public universities and liberal arts colleges. Also, I sort of like the idea of spending 2 years doing some hard physical, cowboy work and just experiencing a different way of life, I live in the most suburban town on the planet, and just building a stronger work ethic.
However, I've never really done hard work before, the hardest it's ever been for me has been mowing the lawn or washing my dog. Has anyone on this site every worked on a ranch or farm, and if so how hard is it? Do you feel enriched by the work? How's rural college life? Is it too boring or does the intense sense of community make it worth it? Remember it will only be for 2 years but I don't want to screw up what are supposed to be some of the best years of my life, but if I could come out much, much stronger than before I'd definetly be willing to do it.
Thanks
Not crazy at all. That's much like College of the Ozarks here where I live. It's called "Hard Work U." because it charges no tuition. You work for your education on campus whether it's as a chef/server in the college's public restaurant, on the dairy farm, for the agricultural center, as a painter, landscaper, maintenance worker, etc. If you work summers as well that will cover your room and board. In the end you have a four-year degree, transferrable/reportable work/employment history, a trade to fall back on and above all else, a strong and proven work ethic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California