Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM

77 posts, read 228,117 times

Advertisements

hey im a bit of a social studies/anthropology freak (California in particular) and i was wondering:
Most of us can agree that The Bay area and LA are two of the most liberal/progressive areas in America. Most people when they think liberal they think SF. Though I wonder how Bay Area Liberals compare to a LA/SOCAL Liberal. While alot of the general views are very similar, some of the attitude may be different? Can you comment on this perception

Bay Area liberal/progressive: Super liberal/activist to the point of near intolerance,

LA/SOCAL: A more let live sort of progressive as long as you don't negativly affect me I leave you be

How true is this?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
Liberal, from the latin word for free, a liberal is anyone who is not driven by fear. It is helpful in any discourse involving the word liberal to remember that.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Not much difference in the final analysis. Liberal = "free" = they want someone else to pay for it. Thus, tax and spend!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
No real difference. The LA liberal wears nicer clothes.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
LA, particularly the coastal cities, is more libertarian while SF is more authoritarian.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 PM

42 posts, read 116,447 times
I lived in LA for many years and you see a few liberal stickers but it's not plastered as part of the culture like SF. LA is more competitive and people care more about having fancy cars than having anti-war rallies.

LA has a lot more hispanics which voted against gay marriage and are generally more socially conservative. SF is almost all non-hispanic beside the mission. Both cities love to spend money and like big government. LA is more libertarian though. LA votes a greator percentage republican than SF but not by much.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Wow another "let's bash California cities" thread LOL.

Not sure the OP intended such nonsense but this will be fun to watch LMAO!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrockerfs View Post
hey im a bit of a social studies/anthropology freak
What exactly is a "liberal"?
Are liberals evenly distributed amongst income tax brackets? Along racial lines? Other demographics?
How can you measure "liberalness"? Have you ever obtained data (such as voting records or census data) and performed an in depth analysis? To what level? County? Neighborhoods? For example, do some neighborhoods in Los Angeles County vote differently than others?
Also, can perception be opposite of reality? Meaning, can someone or someplace that appear "liberal" actually behave differently?
Finally, once it has been determined what "liberal quotient" in the top five discriminators when choosing a place to live? Would a "die hard liberal" live in a hard core conservative area if everything else was equal except it was 30% less expensive and it had 30% less traffic?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 AM

77 posts, read 228,117 times
Quote:
Wow another "let's bash California cities" thread LOL.

Not sure the OP intended such nonsense but this will be fun to watch LMAO!
I did not, I love California as a matter of fact (probably going to college there)

Quote:
What exactly is a "liberal"?
A person who is socially progressive, supports a larger gov., generally votes dem, though can vote otherwise, I was more interested in the attitude of liberals in each city Activist vs its ok if your not

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrockerfs View Post
I did not, I love California as a matter of fact (probably going to college there)

A person who is socially progressive, supports a larger gov., generally votes dem, though can vote otherwise, I was more interested in the attitude of liberals in each city Activist vs its ok if your not
I don't necessarily support a 'larger government'. I more support an effective government that can pass a budget and scale up and down as need requires.

Its so strange how they get to spend money they don't have?

California should really adopt a 'pay go' spending policy like what Clinton and the GOP did in his second term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California