Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM

32 posts, read 126,935 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am a single mom with two young kids. I am currently in nursing school in Maryland and will be graduating in Dec.2011. I am thinking of moving to Southern California,LA/Sun Valley or any nice area when I graduate.

There is a church and christian school in Sun Valley I would like my kids to attend so I want to live where I can commute easily. I am aware of the recession/unemployment in California right now,I am just hoping by the time I graduate things will be better.

My kids will be 5 and 2 when I graduate. So my question is can I have a decent life in S.California as a single mom with a nursing salary?

And which areas should I look for accommodation?I would like to live in a warm climate but I heard Texas is humid. MD is very humid in the summer and the winter is cold.

Anyway, that is my story. Thanks for your response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Eastern Texas is humid.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
You could post this up on one or more of the southern california sub-forums to maximize replies.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelolaa View Post
single mom
two young kids.
graduating in Dec.2011.
christian school in Sun Valley I would like my kids to attend

can I have a decent life in S.California as a single mom with a nursing salary?
What is a nurse's salary?

Let's look at the expenses:

Two private educations
Roth IRA
Utilities
401(k)
Two education savings accounts
Auto Insurance
Day Care?

Now, what can be afforded for housing?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 12,830 times
Red face Just like Me

Hi I am also from Md,my family moved to Texas on a PCS with the Army and i like it here evenif it is hot and windy(no hairstyle can make it here) and am planning a move to cali during my husbands next deployment,I dont have any advice but would like you to know that you are not alone in your new moves and to tell you that even though texas is hot there are lots of jobs and the cost of living is very very low we now live in a 3bd 2ba duplex backyard and garage on a very nice quiet street i live 45 mins from austin where the most jobs and things to do are, we only pay 800 a month, we both know you cant find that in Maryland so you may want to reconsider Texas and try Killeen.I wish the very best for you and your babies as i am a single mom every deployment.

Last edited by Epiphaney; 03-28-2010 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: miss spelled words

Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM

664 posts, read 1,945,989 times
Nurses make good money in socal, just make sure you secure a position before you move. A lot of Rn's are having a hard time finding work, esp new grads. In socal the average starting pay at a hospital is $30/hr. There is a great site called www.allnurses.com you may want to check it out. There is no shortage of Rn's here so jobs are hard to get. A lot of Rn are even taking positions in SNf's just to get work. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelolaa View Post
Hi,

I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am a single mom with two young kids. I am currently in nursing school in Maryland and will be graduating in Dec.2011. I am thinking of moving to Southern California,LA/Sun Valley or any nice area when I graduate.

There is a church and christian school in Sun Valley I would like my kids to attend so I want to live where I can commute easily. I am aware of the recession/unemployment in California right now,I am just hoping by the time I graduate things will be better.

My kids will be 5 and 2 when I graduate. So my question is can I have a decent life in S.California as a single mom with a nursing salary?

And which areas should I look for accommodation?I would like to live in a warm climate but I heard Texas is humid. MD is very humid in the summer and the winter is cold.

Anyway, that is my story. Thanks for your response
well though I personally love much about Texas, it is even more humid than Maryland. We have lived in both the DC area and Texas..I should add, there are some parts of Texas (west Texas) that really are not humid.

Yes, you can have a decent life in Ca, but you will have to pass the CA state test to getting a job in your field, I am sure you know that. As for a good life, like everything else in Ca, even nursing jobs can be hard to find. Add to that the cost of child care, yes, if you can find a job, you can live a decent life, but you will need to watch every penny.

Nita

Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,327 times
Might check Clovis... it's far cheaper than Sun Valley and you don't have as much "L.A." to deal with. Nurses are in demand here, unless I'm being lied to, the schools are top notch and Clovis is relatively safe unless you drift into Fresno. Humidity is virtually zero but we hit hundreds. I have a buddy (from Clovis) now living in a Dallas suburb and hates it.

No shortage of churches here, either.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM

32 posts, read 126,935 times
Hi,

Thanks everyone for responding.I appreciate it.

Last edited by gracelolaa; 03-29-2010 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
There are three large hospitals out here where I live in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area). It's in the desert, so meets your warm requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California