Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM

99 posts, read 380,428 times

Advertisements

Pretty much agree with everything else that was said.

However I would look more toward the Sacramento area. Sounds like you need good doctors and medical care and they do have that. There are also lots of areas that area spread out there so you are not right in the the city itself.

It does get hot there and sorry but no matter where you are in California you will be prone to earthquakes. That is just a part of living here.

Someone suggested Eureka which would be alright except for the medical situation (and earthquakes!!)

Someone did suggest reading the online newspapers. That is an excellent idea as it does give you an indication of what is going on in that particular area - as well as the state in general. don't forget to check the classifieds for housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho View Post
Hi everyone! Every couple of years it seems like our fam ends up moving cross country! We moved to FL almost 5 years ago, mostly for the weather.. and have found that's about the only advantage FL has! It could just be this area; but I'm thinking probably not! Me and the hubby joke they should just put a border up and not let anyone under 55 here! LOL!! He had a really good job doing web design for 3 years until the company laid off most their employees and he's been unemployed in the traditional sense for about a year now. The job market here is HORRIBLE (like most everywhere!) but a job he was makin $20+ an hour is now trying to pay $9-13.. designers are leaving in droves. I work from home and can do my job from anywhere. We're used to paying $1375 for rent 3/2, utilities run about $400 for elec/water... I'm not including things like phone/cable/fun stuff! So basically we'd like to move somewhere warm, but NOT humid! We've lived in OH & PA and hate the humidity AND snow! We also lived in Denver for 5 years and generally enjoyed the people and the weather wasn't all that bad.. could do without the snow! I think we've come to the conclusion the further out west you go the more laid back people are.. we stayed in HI for 8 weeks and that was exceptionally laid back! I'm not entirely happy with the earthquakes.. was thinking maybe central or northern CA might help with that fear. We haven't experienced a hurricane, but tropical storms aren't any worse than a midwest thunderstorm! So basically we've come to the conclusion that CA is probably where we should try and settle down.. Moving sucks and I'd like to stay somewhere longer than 5 years!!!! People factor in a bunch here.. with FL it seems they're either old or HIGHLY materialistic, and not in the way of I can afford it myself but more like WHO can I get to buy me this. I don't really want my daughter developing that sort of gold digger quality! LOL!! We're rather laid back ourselves, but not hippies, we like our toys.. but willing to work for 'em! We home school our kids, so I'm not worried about the school systems. We like the "big city", but don't want to be right in it. We will need a good neurologist/hospital as our daughter has epilepsy; one of the leading one's in the country for her type of epilepsy is in Sacramento so that area is pretty high on the list right now!!! So... to break it down.. in the simplest way...

1. We'd like a place that's warm with low humidity.
2. Major city close by with a good hospital and culture.. we like museums, parks, science centers, etc.
3. We like to garden, I've got 25 plumeria plants I plan on chopping and storing for the move. We also have tomatoes, blackberries, peppers.. but we'll start those new. Desert climate probably not the best!
4. Decent people.. not overly materialistic. (I'm assuming that would nix LA! LOL!) We're not really suburbia types.. prefer not to live in the ghetto too! Ultimately wouldn't mind living on a "hobby farm"!
5. Good skies for telescope viewing!!
6. A little less earthquake prone.. probably somewhat avoidable in CA!
7. Design/tech jobs that pay decent! I'm assuming for the sort of house we're looking for we'll be expecting to pay around $1600-$1800 a month. Is that realistic?

Is CA sounding about the right place?? OR, WA, and CO are somewhat contenders.. but still seem to be lacking in some areas.. CA really seems to be what we're looking for, just not entirely sure WHERE in CA!

Thanks for any help!!

Andrea

Thanks for any suggestions!!
first of all, I would like to know where you live in Florida and how big is your home? Our daughter lives outside of Orlando, has 4100 sq feet, isn't overly carely about heating and air, she said, her bills are never $400 a month.

About the only think Ca will hold for you right now is nice weather with liittle humidity and good gardening. You will not find a decent job probably, the unemployment rate is worse than Florida, the overall cost of things are higher, $1600 a month will get you a 2 bedroom apt, not much more, things are a little better in the Sac area, but what about health insurance? You will need that for your little girl if not for yourself and hubby?

It sounds to me like you are looking for utopia and guess what? It doesn't exist.

Nita

Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
No offense, but I'm not sure that's necessarily true re: the "cost of living" in Cali, especially these days. Besides costs varying widely across the state, we're also notoriously awash in repo houses, which are continuing to hold other markets down. In fact I bought one myself just late last year, for nearly a quarter of its sale price the previous year. There are still opportunities here, but instead of comparing the "good 'ol days", now you have to get out and look for 'em. And sometimes we might have to go outside the "beaten path" (or our "comfort levels").
you were lucky to find a home selling for 75% less than a year before, yes, prices have gone down, but not 75% in one year..there is something wrong there.

As for opportunities, yes, there are some. that being said, go back and read what the OP wants and her history of moving around, not to mention her daughters health problems. if she owns a home now, she will settle for a low sale price in Fl so probably will not have much to spend in California and she mentions 1600 to 1800 a month. I am thinking she is talking rentals.

There are times when people might be ok relocating to Ca in this market, for someone who wants all the things she wants, she will be in for a big shock.

Nita

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you were lucky to find a home selling for 75% less than a year before, yes, prices have gone down, but not 75% in one year..there is something wrong there.

As for opportunities, yes, there are some. that being said, go back and read what the OP wants and her history of moving around, not to mention her daughters health problems. if she owns a home now, she will settle for a low sale price in Fl so probably will not have much to spend in California and she mentions 1600 to 1800 a month. I am thinking she is talking rentals.

There are times when people might be ok relocating to Ca in this market, for someone who wants all the things she wants, she will be in for a big shock.

Nita
The "something wrong" is that it doesn't fit your preconceptions (sorry about that)! And actually I read the OP just fine. Perhaps you missed the very first sentence, where underneath all the issues of "costs", jobs, health problems, etc., "andyho" also makes her top priority clear from the git-go..."We moved to FL almost 5 years ago, mostly for the weather.. and have found that's about the only advantage FL has!" BTW, I used to live there too, so I have some idea how she feels.

Although I am, uh, "impressed" that someone in "Bella Vista, Ark" (pop. 16,388) would feel they know more about Cali real estate (and apparently all of it, everywhere ), than those of us living here!

Yes, I did find an exceptional deal, but there've been others since and this isn't your typical locale. You do have to get out and look for 'em though, and often in unexpected places. 'Cuz opportunities seldom come to those who stay over-focused on how things "oughta be" (especially if they don't even live there anymore).

Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The "something wrong" is that it doesn't fit your preconceptions (sorry about that)! And actually I read the OP just fine. Perhaps you missed the very first sentence, where underneath all the issues of "costs", jobs, health problems, etc., "andyho" also makes her top priority clear from the git-go..."We moved to FL almost 5 years ago, mostly for the weather.. and have found that's about the only advantage FL has!" BTW, I used to live there too, so I have some idea how she feels.

Although I am, uh, "impressed" that someone in "Bella Vista, Ark" (pop. 16,388) would feel they know more about Cali real estate (and apparently all of it, everywhere ), than those of us living here!

Yes, I did find an exceptional deal, but there've been others since and this isn't your typical locale. You do have to get out and look for 'em though, and often in unexpected places. 'Cuz opportunities seldom come to those who stay over-focused on how things "oughta be" (especially if they don't even live there anymore).
to fill you in a little my friend: I was born and raised in California, have lived all over the state from being raised in Los Angeles, graduating from SDSU, lived in SGV as well as the bay area, Sac and Eureka. We return at least once a year and Bella Vista, you had better learn what you are talking about before spouting off: we have 25,750 people in the city. I might add, my brother just sold his home in Simi Valley, yes, it had gone down in value over the past 2 years, 75% even you have to realize that is rediculous.

Nita

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
to fill you in a little my friend: I was born and raised in California, have lived all over the state from being raised in Los Angeles, graduating from SDSU, lived in SGV as well as the bay area, Sac and Eureka. We return at least once a year and Bella Vista, you had better learn what you are talking about before spouting off: we have 25,750 people in the city. I might add, my brother just sold his home in Simi Valley, yes, it had gone down in value over the past 2 years, 75% even you have to realize that is rediculous.

Nita
Well, I suppose that makes you an "authority" then!

So not only don't you live here anymore (although you do visit us once a year ), you also know absolutely nothing about where I live or this market. Of course "knowing nothing" has obviously never stopped you before!

Speaking of which, how is it that even after relocating to AR, you continue to spend so much time literally obsessed with the Cali boards here? Have you been experiencing a bit of "buyer's remorse" about that decision to move to lovely "Belle Vista" (which I understand in hillbilly-speak translates to "hey, lookit mah purty trailer!")?

But yes, I can see how all that would make you quite an authority, on "re-diculous".... so carry on!

Last edited by mateo45; 04-12-2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Actually, C-D puts the Belle Vista population at 16,388 (with a -1.2% change since 2000).

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Quote:

So not only don't you live here anymore (although you do visit us once a year ), you also know absolutely nothing about where I live or this market. Of course "knowing nothing" has obviously never stopped you before!

Speaking of which, how is it that even after relocating to AR, you continue to spend so much time literally obsessed with the Cali boards here? Have you been experiencing a bit of "buyer's remorse" about that decision to move to lovely "Belle Vista" (which I understand in hillbilly-speak translates to "hey, lookit mah purty trailer!")?

But yes, I can see how all that would make you quite an authority, on "re-diculous".... so carry on!
Why the animosity?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Why the animosity?
I think the waste tank on his single-wide musta overflowed!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Golly, you guessed it, we all live in trailers, we moved here so we could marry our cousins and chew tobacco most of the time. Even though about 70% of the 25,750 people living here (acutally a few more, this is based on 3 years ago) are from other states we are all dumb, poor and park our cars on the front lawn.

Nita

Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM

44 posts, read 147,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho View Post
Hi everyone! Every couple of years it seems like our fam ends up moving cross country! We moved to FL almost 5 years ago, mostly for the weather.. and have found that's about the only advantage FL has! It could just be this area; but I'm thinking probably not! Me and the hubby joke they should just put a border up and not let anyone under 55 here! LOL!! He had a really good job doing web design for 3 years until the company laid off most their employees and he's been unemployed in the traditional sense for about a year now. The job market here is HORRIBLE (like most everywhere!) but a job he was makin $20+ an hour is now trying to pay $9-13.. designers are leaving in droves. I work from home and can do my job from anywhere. We're used to paying $1375 for rent 3/2, utilities run about $400 for elec/water... I'm not including things like phone/cable/fun stuff! So basically we'd like to move somewhere warm, but NOT humid! We've lived in OH & PA and hate the humidity AND snow! We also lived in Denver for 5 years and generally enjoyed the people and the weather wasn't all that bad.. could do without the snow! I think we've come to the conclusion the further out west you go the more laid back people are.. we stayed in HI for 8 weeks and that was exceptionally laid back! I'm not entirely happy with the earthquakes.. was thinking maybe central or northern CA might help with that fear. We haven't experienced a hurricane, but tropical storms aren't any worse than a midwest thunderstorm! So basically we've come to the conclusion that CA is probably where we should try and settle down.. Moving sucks and I'd like to stay somewhere longer than 5 years!!!! People factor in a bunch here.. with FL it seems they're either old or HIGHLY materialistic, and not in the way of I can afford it myself but more like WHO can I get to buy me this. I don't really want my daughter developing that sort of gold digger quality! LOL!! We're rather laid back ourselves, but not hippies, we like our toys.. but willing to work for 'em! We home school our kids, so I'm not worried about the school systems. We like the "big city", but don't want to be right in it. We will need a good neurologist/hospital as our daughter has epilepsy; one of the leading one's in the country for her type of epilepsy is in Sacramento so that area is pretty high on the list right now!!! So... to break it down.. in the simplest way...

1. We'd like a place that's warm with low humidity.
2. Major city close by with a good hospital and culture.. we like museums, parks, science centers, etc.
3. We like to garden, I've got 25 plumeria plants I plan on chopping and storing for the move. We also have tomatoes, blackberries, peppers.. but we'll start those new. Desert climate probably not the best!
4. Decent people.. not overly materialistic. (I'm assuming that would nix LA! LOL!) We're not really suburbia types.. prefer not to live in the ghetto too! Ultimately wouldn't mind living on a "hobby farm"!
5. Good skies for telescope viewing!!
6. A little less earthquake prone.. probably somewhat avoidable in CA!
7. Design/tech jobs that pay decent! I'm assuming for the sort of house we're looking for we'll be expecting to pay around $1600-$1800 a month. Is that realistic?

Is CA sounding about the right place?? OR, WA, and CO are somewhat contenders.. but still seem to be lacking in some areas.. CA really seems to be what we're looking for, just not entirely sure WHERE in CA!

Thanks for any help!!

Andrea

Thanks for any suggestions!!
I think you should try auburn,ca,i dont know if is too wet or not but is close to a major city like sacramento and is a farm place.In one hour you have lake tahoe too.hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California