Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,906 times

Advertisements

Hi All !

My husband and I are planning to pick up our new (to us) 1966 Airstream Trailer in Huron South Dakota this summer.

We do have a lot of anxiety about the trip, as we are new to towing.

Our two vehicle is a 1992 V6 Toyota 4Runner which has a 5000 lb towing capacity. We plan on installing a beefy hitch next week and the trailer comes with a weight distribution system. The trailer is 3780 lbs and the tongue weight is 418 lbs. And we will carry minimal additional weight on the trip.

However, obviously we don't have a huge amount of horsepower. And so we are nervous about the mountain passes. I realize that we HAVE to go through the Rockies but we would like to choose a route that has minimal climbing and braking. We are also looking into installing a transmission cooler.

With all that long winded explanation out of the way - what route would you choose as the "gentlest" route through the Rockies?

Canada Highway 1? Calgary, Banff, revelstoke?

Highway 90 through Missoula, Coeur d'Alene and Spokane?

Highway 80 to 84 and then up through Boise and Portland?

Thanks all for your Advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbombay View Post
what route would you choose as the "gentlest" route through the Rockies?
Interstate 90 through... to Seattle then North?
Yep.

No route is ideal... but I-90 will have the least problems vs best services.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
I'd vote I 90. 80 will take you way south and add a whole lot of miles and not much more. To go to Calgary and Banff while very pretty. Canada 1 has some steep passes and would be rough with a smaller tow vehicle.

On the topic of tow vehicles, you're taking off cross country in a 21 year old vehicle. Make sure the engine and transmission are properly serviced. I'd also make sure there is fresh coolant and tires and brakes are up the challenge.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,727 posts, read 58,079,686 times
BE careful, know how to utilize the trailer for braking rather than BOTH. This is pretty heavy for a Toyota, and I have seen many crashes with Toyota towing RV. RV's can STEER your light tow vehicle and push you around. Trailer brakes ONLY need to be your FIRST reaction, if you jab the Toy brakes it is probable the trailer brakes will be soft / slow to respond and you will be in trouble. I hope you have a manual tranny, it is a BIG help in slowing you down, especially in Mtns.

I would use I-90 it Si very forgiving and MUCH less traffic. CND #1 can be a beast (steep and narrower / less lanes than I-90).

your To-Do list... (In addition to above)
1) NEW belts and hoses + coolant flush and refresh.
2) Tranny cooler and temp Gage (Is a MUST if automatic~ $200 in parts, saves a $5000 tranny / tow bill). Fan assist is VERY much desired... or... if you use in front of radiator add a MANUAL fan switch so you can keep cool tranny temps ahead of the hills.
3) Go SLOW, especially DOWN HILL.
4) Look into an RV towing class taught by 'Escapees' (they used to host them in Moscow ID... A bit late for your skill needs, but worth-while. WHEREVER you can find the class.

I would look at the LONG / steep inclines and do them at night (cooler moist air). I-90 is not too steep, but long gentle inclines.

I-80 can be very windy and LOTS of trucks going 80 mph +.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Check your GVW carefully, as B.C. will. Especially if you opt to go overland in Canada. Just because your vehicle has that towing capacity, doesn't mean that the whole unit won't be grossly overweight. I would definitely add a transmission cooler, probably check your brakes and tires too.

By the time you're done all that, considering getting a proper towing vehicle should be higher on your list.

The trailer is 3800 lbs dry. That's before bedding, dishes, food, propane, propane tanks, all the outdoor stuff in the cubbies, 500lbs of water, 300 lbs of grey water, etc. You are pushing the Toyota to the very edge of its performance envelope, and that's before adding in the Rockies, Cascades, and Coast ranges.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,906 times
Thank you to All who responded to my post. After getting your responses, and weighing out the potential issues with the Toyota, we have decided to rent a Dodge Ram 3500!

I just bought this beautiful vintage trailer, and I don't want to see it lying in a crumpled heap at the bottom of a mountain pass because my brakes overheated.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful feedback!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,727 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Thx for listening . We are not alarmists, but desire safety / success on our shared roads.

I trust you will enjoy the 3500. It is overkill, but will be nice for learning / seeing advantage of a 'healthy weight' tow vehicle.

Vintage... now you perk my interest

I follow many vintage truck interests as well as attend vintage travel trailer and teardrop shows. I have several friends who have done Cummins transplants into vintage truck bodies. The 67 - 72 GMC 4x4 Trucks and Suburbans are popular recipients, as are some vintage Fords.

I keep a couple extra 4x4 cummins trucks around just to use as donors for vintage swaps. (You can get 2x4 for under $2000 COMPLETE. find a 97 or early 98 12v if you want reliable and most FREE power (plenty of free mods to double HP). The 12v is considerably noisier due to no computerized injection timing to reduce pe-ignition, but... for same reason it is considered more dependable, (Arguably, as many 24V go well past 1 mil miles too))

If you enjoy such things and interested in what others have done, here are some helpful resources:
Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource - Cummins - Home
Dodge Truck and Cummins Turbo Diesel Forum - Diesel Bombers
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

There are many other options beyond Dodge and Cummins.

Have fun, be safe!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I think you made a wise decision. Towing with a 3500 will be a piece of cake. You'll be safer and more relaxed.

Years ago my late wife and I considered buying a TT. My truck then was a little Toyota 4x4. I thought it could tow... a space shuttle! Thankfully the guy selling the TT we first looked at set me straight on that. LOL. I traded the truck for a 2500, then decided on another TC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing