Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Eco Diesel Engine Capabilities | Jeep

If I had this I'd probably tow a 4500 lb trailer. Might be better than a Ford Ecoboost. 240 hp though.

The Porsche Cayenne Diesel is another good SUV.

Do you think this is the best 4 person capable SUV to tow with good mpg or do you know better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
We're looking at a Nissan Xterra. We don't want a behemoth vehicle, and we want around 5000 lbs. of tow capacity. We also looked at a Jeep Liberty, but apparently they've stopped producing them and we don't want an 'orphan' vehicle. The other midsize SUVs we've looked at don't seem to have enough tow capacity - many of them have 2500-3500 lbs only. We looked at a VW Taureg to have a deisel option, but the silly price is putting us off.

There are a bunch of pickups with good towing capacity, but we don't want a pickup. The SUV has the advantage of secure storage capability. Plus, it could serve as a "guest bedroom".

Anyone have more suggestions as to what we might consider, by way of a non-truck midsize vehicle to tow up to 5000 lbs?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Buick Enclave is nice but it only has 4500 lbs towing capacity.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/bui...3_enclave.html

Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM

I just biked to my favorite local Dodge Dealer, Marino. They were stocked with so many Grand Cherokees, but I didn't see if they had a diesel one. My impression is that it can only hold 5 people, whereas the Grand Caravan can hold 7 people. So I really wish a minivan could haul like an SUV, especially 7200 lbs. Minivans are more practical and have more people and luggage space.

If you think the Grand Cherokee is too big then the Nissan Xterra must be small. At least the Nissan is about half the price of the G.C..

Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I just biked to my favorite local Dodge Dealer, Marino. They were stocked with so many Grand Cherokees, but I didn't see if they had a diesel one. My impression is that it can only hold 5 people, whereas the Grand Caravan can hold 7 people. So I really wish a minivan could haul like an SUV, especially 7200 lbs. Minivans are more practical and have more people and luggage space.

If you think the Grand Cherokee is too big then the Nissan Xterra must be small. At least the Nissan is about half the price of the G.C..

Look at a Dodge Durango with the 3rd row seat. It is built on the same platform as the Grand Cherokee but can hold 7 people and tow 7600 lbs.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
A Suburban with a Cummins transplant. Very popular and ez to do. And plenty of companies that specialize in doing it for you if you prefer that route.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM

I'm single so I don't need a big vehicle. And I'm really not into gas guzzling SUVs. But if I had a family I'd have up to 2 children. If I was rich like a multi millionaire then I'd have 4 children. With 4 children I'd rather have them in a 2013 Town & Country Limited but that can hardly tow a good enough RV for 6 people. So I guess I wouldn't RV for 6 people, because that might need an 8000 lb trailer that would give you 8 mpg. I'd rather stay at Motels then, because an RV bath won't last long for 6 people either.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We also looked at a Jeep Liberty, but apparently they've stopped producing them and we don't want an 'orphan' vehicle.
Well yes and no. The KJ Liberty was a replacement for the XJ Cherokee and the KL Cherokee is replacing the Liberty. While the chassis is getting retired, you'll be able to get parts for it for at least 30 years. They have about as much in common with the new KL Cherokee as the TJ Wrangler has in common with the JK Wrangler. The 3.7 V6 has been discontinued.
However, it doesn't get good mileage! I had an 04, in the city I got 13 mpg (~17-18 highway)

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM

152 posts, read 583,814 times
I missed the point of your post.
It's soo non-committal....

You take showers in a TT, few are built with tubs any more.
Some have an outside shower also.(ours does)

My diesel 3/4 ton truck gets better millage than a T&C.
When towing out 9k camper we still get 14-17mpg and we get 17-21mpg empty.

There are few hotels out in the woods or wilderness.
Staying in a hotel diminishes the experience of nature.
A week at $100 a night plus travel back to the places you want to be will easily cover the payments on the TT for 1/3 of a year.

Then add on the$$$ you spent on restaurants you could have have spent that on your fuel bill instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm single so I don't need a big vehicle. And I'm really not into gas guzzling SUVs. But if I had a family I'd have up to 2 children. If I was rich like a multi millionaire then I'd have 4 children. With 4 children I'd rather have them in a 2013 Town & Country Limited but that can hardly tow a good enough RV for 6 people. So I guess I wouldn't RV for 6 people, because that might need an 8000 lb trailer that would give you 8 mpg. I'd rather stay at Motels then, because an RV bath won't last long for 6 people either.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

I'm not committed to RVing because I'm unemployed now. So I have the free time to RV or vacation but I don't have money to burn vacationing. Now if I worked FT I wouldn't have the time to RV, and the best RV storage park is 50 miles away from me.

But if you want the best SUV for towing, I'd say a custom Porsche Cayenne Diesel would do. Too bad the V-8 won't come to America!

2013 Porsche Cayenne S V-8 Diesel First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...el-test-review

I'd surely get this if I won the Lotto!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...e-but-not-u-s/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...twin-turbo-v8/

Last edited by Jesse69; 05-06-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing