Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 10,351 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question or not. So here goes; Does anyone have a good route to Sundance Wyo. from the Prescott Arizona area. We are towing a 30' Wildcat 5er. Thanks in advance.

Chuck (az)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findau View Post
Sundance Wyo. from the Prescott Arizona area.
google map says...
Attached Thumbnails
Best route to Sundance Wyoming-sundance.png  

Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Default What about Rifle???

I have seen this route before. I guess my next question is can you pull a 30' fith wheel through the mountains above Rifle Colorado?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I have seen this route before.
...can you pull a 30' fith wheel through the mountains above Rifle Colorado?
I suppose that would depend on what you're pulling it with.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM

F250 Ford super duty, 7.3 turbo diesel, Banks exhaust, Air raid cold air intake, Hypertec programmer.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I suppose that would depend .....
Lots of 'Depends"

including:
Time of Yr.
tow vehicle.
BRAKES and tires on trailer,
experience
time available
$$ available
other things to see / visit
destination route (I prefer a different rte home)

Personally, I would do one leg through Moab / Vernal, TU / Flaming Gorge, then I-80 to Saratoga, WY(free Hot springs), then Up through Medicine Bow to Casper, an I-25 to Midwest, WY, then to Wright and up to Gillette (I-90), turn right to Sundance,

Other rte home would be through the Black Hills, and Hot Springs, SD, down to Alliance /(CarHenge)
The official website for Carhenge
Then Sidney, NE (Cabalea's great campsite) on to I-76 to I-25 to enjoy Colorado Springs (Garden of Gods) and over to Alamosa / Southern CO, into NO NM to enjoy mtns and cut back to Prescott through the nicer regions of NM and AZ.

I have driven all these routes with Beater 18 wheelers and also Motorcycle and RVs. Nice roads Only significant Mtn passes on this rte are if you choose a central Colorado rte one way. These passes are done by Uhauls, buses, and RV's everyday of the yr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_onLPc-0E
Too bad you can't fit in my 2 favorite rtes in WY.

Beartooth Hwy and Snowy Range.
Beartooth Highway
Snowy Range Scenic Byway Overview

Encampment (nearby Snowy Range) has a very nice park and museum.

Let me know if you have desire to spend time and see much in WY and CO. That was my wandering / trucking area for my first 1/2 of life. (as of yet...)
http://freecampgrounds.com/
http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

BTW: Most WY city parks have FREE camping (also check the fairgrounds)

Don't go to Sundance during Sturgis week... Kinda spoils the 'normal' low density benefit. Tho if you are having a midlife crisis or are a youngster you might enjoy it (I have done it many times as a racer, but never as a drinker/party animal)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-17-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks for your response. I have been towing for about 25 years and have tons of problem experience. As far as tires go, I have load range e all around including the truck. We won't be heavy loaded so the Moab route would be a good change. Never did like the I-25 going through Denver so I will try to miss that excitement.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
I have seen this route before. I guess my next question is can you pull a 30' fith wheel through the mountains above Rifle Colorado?
There are no mountains "above Rifle" if you're traveling the normal route north (to Rawlins). I live an hour west of Sundance and go there 2-4 times per month. Even if you went through Steamboat to Laramie, the mountains are a piece of cake, but I've driven through Rifle to Steamboat (skiing) many times and generally take the route from Rifle to Rawlins, then north through Casper to Midwest, Wright, Gillette. It's an easy route - no mountains. Hwy 387 from Midwest to Wright is a little rough in sections, but just slow down a little and you'll be okay. It's so much shorter than taking I25 all the way to Buffalo or Douglas that it's the only logical route.

When we visit my daughter in Tucson we take I-25 to I-10 (pulling a 28-foot 5er with an F250 7.3 PSD). I agree Denver would be a good place to avoid, but if you can avoid rush hour it's doable. I just get in the fast lane and drive like a bat out of hell. It's better than lane changing.

There's also a toll road by-pass around Denver, but since they charge by the axle, I don't think it's worth it.

Take it easy when towing in this hot weather. On our last trip up from Arizona we blew a tire on our week-old 5er. So much for new tires! I was pushing it a little (75 mph), and I think the heat got to it.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you must be in the Gillette area. My wifes brother lives there and here mom and dad live in Sundance. We have made the trip many times without the 5er but have usuall gone through Denver. Never had a problem but did age a couple years each time. I think we may try the Rifle route and not go the Midwest cut off but go to Buffalo and pick up 90. I have never done that route before and it doesn't seem a lot longer.

My Wildcat came with load range 'D' tires that didn't last. I am now running load range 'E' 10 ply that have never given me a problem. I take a infra red temperature gun on every trip to take tire temps when we stop for fuel. It works great.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
We switched to the 10 ply Es when we had the blow-out. The tire shop gave us $100 credit for our remaining 4 Goodyears with less than 500 miles on them. LOL My wife insisted and I agreed.

There's a 10-15 mile stretch on I-90 that's under construction, ending at the Powder River. I think coming from the west the speed limit is 45 mph in the construction zone. (Heading west, on the same slab, it's 65.) There's also construction north of Kaycee on I-25 for 10-15 miles, I think 65 mph. In both cases it's single lane traffic. (Both directions share one side of the interstate.)

Yes, I've been in Gillette for 42 years. Can't seem to find the exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing