Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM

30 posts, read 110,012 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm planning ahead bcs I still have to sell my property before I make the actual move but I'm being proactive and hopeful that it will happen soon. I will be driving a small RV and probably towing my car. In the RV will be 2 adults, and my entourage of pets. I don't want to make a vacation out of it really because I know it will be stressful on the animals but I also wish to take the opportunity to see some of the grand ole USA that I have not seen before. Also, I am afraid I might end up traveling during winter and want to try and avoid driving in sleet/ice/snow as I have NEVER done so. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this trek, part of it or just has some suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Hi. Congratulations on the exciting new life you're planning!

My first suggestion is to tailor your trip around your companion animals. The trip will be hard on them, without question. So the best thing you can do for your family including them is to not plan to spend time sightseeing. The longer they are without a real home and thus "territories" and a foundation underfoot that doesn't keep moving, the more unhappy they will become and some may become frightened. All this can affect their temperaments, digestive systems, and a host of other things.

I'm sure you know that the very best way to transport them is in individual carrying cases that are strong and closed, the type with a metal gate in front that you purchase at pet supply stores. Being in a nice "cave", that is secured so it won't slide all over the RV, will give them a more secure feeling and can help them to sleep more.

My second suggestion is that you NOT even consider making the trip in winter. You would have to cross open plains and many very high mountains, all of which can be horrific to try to drive in winter if you don't have years of experience doing it. They can be extremely dangerous in conditions that include ice, blizzards, huge winds, whiteouts in which you cannot see the front of your own vehicle, and the possibility of driving off the side of the road and falling off a mountain or being stranded for days. You will find such information clearly in this thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...mountains.html

I wish you wise choices and a happy trip

Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,350 times
If you have to travel in Winter I would ditch some of the sightseeing and stick to warm(er) weather states as long as possible. It wouldn't be the fastest route but you could basically take I-10 all the way to LA without likely encountering too much severe weather (no guaranties). Not that I-10 doesn't have anything to see (though San Antonio to El Paso is amazingly sparse). From there you could take I-5 to Seattle though you're still going to have to deal with a few passes in northern California and southern Oregon. Still, better than trying to go across the midwest and Rocky Mountains in winter.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
I did it in August 2006 in a 26 foot Uhaul and a car carrier. From Thomasville, GA to Seattle.

I will never do it again. And I've driven all kinds of Uhauls and big military trucks and I say...never again. First, it's 2800+ miles. It gets old. I understand you have an RV, so that kind of long range driving might be your thing. I like driving, too...but 2800 miles is a bit much.

Here..

Not saying this might happen to you...but this might happen to you.

Pileup closes westbound I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass
Pileup closes westbound I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass: Local News: The Seattle Times

I'll post more when I have time...it's a long story.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM

30 posts, read 110,012 times
Hello and thanks to those of you who have taken the time to respond. I am tailoring the trip around my family of animals. They are the entire reason I'm renting an RV. I didn't meant to imply that I would be doing massive amounts of sightseeing along the way...nope, but I would like to plan as much as possible to rest in areas of interest. Part of the drive I will be doing by myself, so I need safe places also. My animals are all very well traveled. As far as choosing not to travel in the winter well, I don't have much choice there. I will go when I sell.
I looked at the southern route of I-10 then I-5 and I'd have to drive thru LA-----OMG. Also I wonder how bad those passes are in Cali and Oregon. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile to look into having my car shipped so I don't have to tow. I've driven plenty a horse trailer but never an RV with car carrier, so that makes me a bit nervous especially on the passes and in LA traffic. IF money was no object I'd charter a private rail car but that is way, way over my budget! I would love, love to hear from more people out there!!! Even if you haven't done the trip but know a great place to park an RV somewhere online the way, hit me back with the info!! Thanks so much!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerShi View Post
Also I wonder how bad those passes are in Cali and Oregon.
When we moved back here in January 2001 we drove up from TX. We took I-5 north from Southern California. The passes in No.Cal were treacherous. We were driving a corolla so I am sure it would be a different experience with an RV. At any rate, there was a bad snow storm that closed down the interstate and we ended up having to stay a night in Dunsmuir CA. Luckily some people in that little town were so friendly that they helped us find a place to stay, and we got the last room in town. What an ordeal, I don't think I would ever make that trip again, at least not in a '96 corolla.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Going through LA is a drag, during any time of the day, but it is better than trying to navigate the mountain passes, especially during winter. We've already had snow at Steven's Pass yesterday. I drove from Tx to WA but I did it in the spring and through the mountain passes with a Penske truck and car in tow. If I had to do it all again I wouldn't. That was 1800 miles and a long drive. The next time I move I'm packing stuff to ship in a pod and hopefully not driving....Take the southern route in the winter. I can't stress that enough.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
I recommend TnT auto transport if you want to ship your car. They've transported my Torino twice and I've never had a problem. First time was open carrier and second time (after $20-something K..OK..$28K... of restoration efforts) was closed carrier. Great service. Great company.

Auto car transport services company, dependable shipping quotes

Seattle is a bear to drive in with a 26 foot truck and a car carrier. My Torino is about 13 feet long. I'd imagine I was driving 40 ft. of truck. It's really not that people don't let you merge, it's the fact that there are so many people that it's hard for them to let you merge. They kind of have to give up a 40 ft' space and (some) people don't CARE. They will rush right into your blind spot without a care in the world. And if you miss your turn, woe be unto you. It's a bear.. you might end up doing 5 miles down and 5 miles back up.

It's a very stressful thing to do...fighting Seattle traffic at rush hour in a big vehicle.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've sold all the big furniture (or given it away to Goodwill for the tax break) and taken a 14 or 17 ft. truck. And shipped the car. I DID have the money to ship the car, but...well...hrmm..I am also a cheap skate. I figured I'd save 900 bucks. Was 900 bucks worth the stress? At that time I thought, "Yeah. Sure. I'll save 900 bucks" and at this time I think, "Heck no. Not again."

I had just finished a stint in Iraq and my wife and I decided that we would not live in Atlanta anymore. I suggested Portland. She suggested Seattle.
I said, "Hey, Seattle sounds GREAT." When I came to Seattle I thought I needed to have everything to be able to get a job immediately. That is why I needed to carry my transportation. (I thought.)

Looking back at it now, I didn't need to do that...I could've came to Seattle, got my room in Shoreline Extended Stay America. dropped off my crap at the U store it (Extraspace..also highly recommended), dropped off the Uhaul and grabbed a taxi to go get my car when it arrived.

Seattle Self Storage: Mini Storage at Extra Space for Moving & Business

Extended Stay America Hotels - Affordable hotel suites for long term business travel, relocation or vacation
13300 Stone Ave N, Seattle - (206) 365-8100

Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
My 2 cents......

In February we went to the winter Olympics in Salt Lake city from WA whatever year that was. I-90/I-15 both ways. Perfect road conditions, not the tiniest problem. However we were in bitty front wheel drive Ford Focus. Still, no snow, no chains, no nothing, zero problems.

I do remember staying the night in Deer Lodge, Montana when them temp dropped to -24. I noticed all the other vehicles in the motel had electric cords run out their doors to the vehicles. Never seen such a thing before. Battery warmers. It freaked me out so I went outside every couple of hours and started up my car to keep the battery charged.

Towing a vehicle behind an RV in the winter from Florida to Seattle sounds like the trip from hell. Try craigslist 'rideshare', see if you can find someone to drive the car. Really. I've used the rideshare message board a couple of times with great success, and we're old people not college kids. (we currently have no car)

Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I recommend TnT auto transport if you want to ship your car. They've transported my Torino twice and I've never had a problem. First time was open carrier and second time (after $20-something K..OK..$28K... of restoration efforts) was closed carrier. Great service. Great company.

Auto car transport services company, dependable shipping quotes

Seattle is a bear to drive in with a 26 foot truck and a car carrier. My Torino is about 13 feet long. I'd imagine I was driving 40 ft. of truck. It's really not that people don't let you merge, it's the fact that there are so many people that it's hard for them to let you merge. They kind of have to give up a 40 ft' space and (some) people don't CARE. They will rush right into your blind spot without a care in the world. And if you miss your turn, woe be unto you. It's a bear.. you might end up doing 5 miles down and 5 miles back up.

It's a very stressful thing to do...fighting Seattle traffic at rush hour in a big vehicle.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've sold all the big furniture (or given it away to Goodwill for the tax break) and taken a 14 or 17 ft. truck. And shipped the car. I DID have the money to ship the car, but...well...hrmm..I am also a cheap skate. I figured I'd save 900 bucks. Was 900 bucks worth the stress? At that time I thought, "Yeah. Sure. I'll save 900 bucks" and at this time I think, "Heck no. Not again."

I had just finished a stint in Iraq and my wife and I decided that we would not live in Atlanta anymore. I suggested Portland. She suggested Seattle.
I said, "Hey, Seattle sounds GREAT." When I came to Seattle I thought I needed to have everything to be able to get a job immediately. That is why I needed to carry my transportation. (I thought.)

Looking back at it now, I didn't need to do that...I could've came to Seattle, got my room in Shoreline Extended Stay America. dropped off my crap at the U store it (Extraspace..also highly recommended), dropped off the Uhaul and grabbed a taxi to go get my car when it arrived.

Seattle Self Storage: Mini Storage at Extra Space for Moving & Business

Extended Stay America Hotels - Affordable hotel suites for long term business travel, relocation or vacation
13300 Stone Ave N, Seattle - (206) 365-8100
Hey, do you remember how much the car transport was? I realize that its going to be higher now that gas prices are higher. But I wanted an estimate without putting in my personal information in a website. Would they give you a discount if you wanted to ship 2 cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing