Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times

Advertisements

rtandc - maybe I bite back when people get me wrong or make wrong assumptions. Yeah, even before I was homeless [lost my house July 2014 to my evil brother's Trust scheme], I had already practiced "stealth camping," but on a simpler level and for vacationing. I had a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport from 2005 to 2009. I visited Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, Austin TX, New Orleans, San Antonio, Galveston, Memphis, and Indianapolis. I drove to these places to vacation and sightsee, and I lived in my minivan to skip $50 Motel 6 daily costs so that I could buy souveniers, splurge on eating good food, and put the money into seeing local attractions like GRACELAND. I have visited the Alamo, the WW2 museum in New Orleans, The Indy 500 Museum, The Corvette Assembly Plant and Museum, and the JFK Museum [where he got assasinated].

Now, homeless, I do it to save money on rent and to put money into business expenses. And I partly vacation too! Really, the idea of RVing is to travel and see America. And I dream of making money all independent of a typical workplace. Making money all online through video games, money making websites, and writing books WHILE TRAVELING ALL AROUND AMERICA WOULD BE AN AWESOME ADVENTURE AND TRIP! I HAVE OVER 20 WEB DOMAINS TO BUILDUP AND MONETIZE! I'm still in the process of learning how to make video games. I am still writing some books....

So this dream takes time, and I am delayed by nasty crap in my life and evil trying to get in my way. SHTF stuff, ya know...

And sometimes, I think America is on a path of DESTRUCTION so I'm a bit of a "prepper." I have been buying stuff to really camp and survive in the woodlands, but I drove down south to Kentucky and I couldn't find a nice STATE PARK there to boondock and live off the land.

But don't confuse me with a homeless bum with no money who's a freeloader... That's the type of homeless type people don't like... Essentially, I have around 35% to 40% of my inheritance money, but once it runs out, my brother will blackmail me to do his will or else I don't get my money. Like he wouldn't distribute Trust money to me for critical things like eyeglasses and a ROOT CANAL... It's a long personal SHTF story. TMI if explained here.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
My understanding was that real stealth camping was done in places where you can legally park and camp for free, like state parks, forest territory, free campgrounds, etc. People only use the big box stores, like Wal-Mart, Costco, the mall, etc. to brush their teeth, use the bathroom, and get ready for the day?
If it were legal why would you need to be stealth? Camping without leaving any trace you were there is just normal camping. "take only pictures, leave only footprints" has been a camping motto for decades. Relying on Walmart to brush your teeth or go to the bathroom sounds more like being homeless than "stealth camping".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I stayed in an RV on a neighbor's land for a few months. Does that count as RVing? The OP's post interested me, actually, because I'm not only always looking for a way to live cheaply. I want to have more freedom and be away from the restrictions I currently have. Sure, things are great now, but if I ever lost my job and had to go back to subbing, I might just want to hit the road. My current job still pays very little, but it beats substitute teaching. I was making something like minimum wage and STILL being forced to take summers off. I could find use in this, I think. It's something I might not want to do alone, though.
I don't think living in a camper on someone elses property because you don't have anywhere else to live is RV'ing. Practically by definition "RV'ing" is recreational.

You can live full time in an RV, plenty of people do it, there are thousands of videos on Youtube about it, but it isn't synonymous with 'stealth camping'. It might work well for your situation but people who do it seem to be either retired or work remotely. Being tied down to a job in one location would make it much more difficult unless you can find somewhere with full hookups to park.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing