Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times

Advertisements

I am curious, what is it with the corny paint / graphics scheme that is the common theme in the RV community. I notice the Australians are getting the picture, with a more subtle, utility theme on their RVs/trailers, but the US keeps on with the flimsy "swoosh" and champagne colors. There are only a few companies that have crossed over to whole colors for their trailers, but you still see that magic swoosh on all the vehicles.

Whats a matter? cant they be wrapped in Factory colors, per request? No creativity? This theme has been going on since the 80's, and RVs/trailers should not look as if they were made with aluminum siding. This is why Airstream has maintained their classic looks. Polished and clean! when will the Industry get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
...what is it with the corny paint / graphics scheme that is the common theme...?
Inexpensive, neutral, lowest common denominator design choices by the RV makers.
Similar to the interior materials, colors, fabrics, furniture, etc.

Those who truly care can do any sort of wrap they're willing to pay for on their NEW rig.
But it might need to be done by an aftermarket shop too.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I am curious, what is it with the corny paint / graphics scheme that is the common theme in the RV community. I notice the Australians are getting the picture, with a more subtle, utility theme on their RVs/trailers, but the US keeps on with the flimsy "swoosh" and champagne colors. There are only a few companies that have crossed over to whole colors for their trailers, but you still see that magic swoosh on all the vehicles.

Whats a matter? cant they be wrapped in Factory colors, per request? No creativity? This theme has been going on since the 80's, and RVs/trailers should not look as if they were made with aluminum siding. This is why Airstream has maintained their classic looks. Polished and clean! when will the Industry get it?
Most manufacturers change their graphics and paint colors every year. Paint options differ per the manufacturer. The manufacturer I bought from allowed me to choose any graphic they had ever produced including no graphics at all. Also I was allowed one base coat color and up to 5 different top coat colors at no extra charge. When I was at the factory watching my RV being built the unit a couple in front of mine was being painted solid black. And actually it looked pretty good when finished, solid black with lots of chrome

Now of course the lower end models will use sticker graphics and not paint which limits your choices

Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Herd mentality, if one does it, they all do it.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
I too have wondered but always written it off as american poor taste or gaudy rather.
Look at European campers and they have nice neutral styling.

We are in the market for camper and I no matter what
it will not be driven by me with those silly swirls on it!!

If they are sticker graphics they should be easy to take
of, yes?

Let's not even get started on the uncool interiors that look like
they are from 1970.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
I have been surfing youtube, and found a nice class a, the Winnebago Brave/Ithica line . Man the retro look, in a modern build,very nice!!! The Sprinter set ups are cool but not as full/wide as a 26 ft RV.

This model has just a simplw 2 tone paint job, following a W theme. Nicely done.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I too have wondered but always written it off as american poor taste or gaudy rather.
Look at European campers and they have nice neutral styling.

We are in the market for camper and I no matter what
it will not be driven by me with those silly swirls on it!!

If they are sticker graphics they should be easy to take
of, yes?

Let's not even get started on the uncool interiors that look like
they are from 1970.
Sure you can take the decals off of a camper but I would not think of it as an easy job, if fact it's very labor intensive .....think of removing a bumper sticker off of a car and then enlarge that job by about ten thousand times.

Start my loosening the glue a small section at a time using a heat gun (very carefully or you can damage the laminate) then slowly peel the decals off little by little. A plastic or rubber edged puddy knife works good for this. Once you get the decals off then you will need to go back with some type of decal remover like goo-be-gone to get all of the remaining glue off. Once you get all of the glue off then you will need to go back a third time and wax and buff the whole rv....any damaged areas will require repainting the clear coat which can be costly

Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I agree. Almost seems like the new "bold" graphics started with the toy hauler RV's. Maybe they appealed to the dirt bike, four wheeler crowds. But then the other models seemed to follow suit. Some of them are pretty loud.
Our Allegro isn't bad...more tastefully done than a lot.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM

37 posts, read 51,272 times
Not only corny decor and swooshes, corny names, too.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I suspect the exterior graphics are really to hide the fact that the exteriors of RVs tend to be lumpy and bumpy - if it was just a smooth plain surface, you'd see more imperfections.

The interior design bothers me more - I have no idea who thought that the floor, fabric panels and counter surfaces in my 21' trailer were wonderful and coordinated well. Not me, certainly. But it is all easily replaceable (well, not so much the counter surfaces).

I do love my little house on wheels, though, we spend a total of probably 3 months a year out in the forests or at the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing