Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I have a lot of respect for people who live unconventionally.
The housing/mortgage situation in this country is beyond absurd. It really shouldn't take up that much of our time and resources just for a place to sleep.
Families have gotten smaller, houses are much bigger, with more luxuries and more stuff, requiring more time at work, and less time to enjoy all that excess.
In a supposedly free country, it really shouldn't be all that scandalous to live in a van or whatever.
Marketing has shoved it down people's throats that you need to strive for 3000+ square foot houses regardless of family size, then subsequently stuff it with a bunch of crap. Then when you travel, you're "supposed to" spend $100-200+ per night to stay at overpriced hotels. As a result, people frown upon minimal living, although that trend has been reversing (slowly) in recent years. The growth of van/RV life, tiny houses, micro-apartments, etc. is bucking the "big house" trend a little.

More on the thread topic, I can see van life as a very tempting alternative to RVs. Easier to drive and park, better fuel economy, and potentially cheaper start-up costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:22 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Marketing has shoved it down people's throats that you need to strive for 3000+ square foot houses regardless of family size, then subsequently stuff it with a bunch of crap. Then when you travel, you're "supposed to" spend $100-200+ per night to stay at overpriced hotels. As a result, people frown upon minimal living, although that trend has been reversing (slowly) in recent years. The growth of van/RV life, tiny houses, micro-apartments, etc. is bucking the "big house" trend a little.

More on the thread topic, I can see van life as a very tempting alternative to RVs. Easier to drive and park, better fuel economy, and potentially cheaper start-up costs.
Van life is an alternative but I would think very short term dwelling. I would get tired of moving around all the time and space limitations. Also having no shower would get old quick.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:51 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:

Living in a van is utterly ridiculous IMHO. However my dream would be to replace my Honda Civic with a Toyota 4Runner. So I could put a futon mattress in the back, and sleep in it when I go camping or for overnight trips. Not having to spend that $100 - $200 for a hotel would be a bargain, even with the increased gas usage. Especially when you can get a $12 shower at a travel center, and you don't have to worry about bed bugs when you sleep in your vehicle.

What I really don't understand is the extremes of people today. It's seems everybody either wants to live in a cramped little tiny house, or they want to live in a giant ugly McMansion. It's like there is no middle ground. What happened to the people who just want to live in a nice moderate size one or two bedroom house with a nice yard and a white picket fence? It's like that is not even a consideration these days.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I can see van life as a very tempting alternative to RVs.
Easier to drive and park, better fuel economy, and potentially cheaper start-up costs.
Put up a welcoming sign outside YOUR home.
Run a power cord or two and a garden hose down to the curb for them.
I'm sure they'll appreciate your viewpoint and share it with all the others

Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Living in a van is utterly ridiculous IMHO. However my dream would be to replace my Honda Civic with a Toyota 4Runner. So I could put a futon mattress in the back, and sleep in it when I go camping or for overnight trips. Not having to spend that $100 - $200 for a hotel would be a bargain, even with the increased gas usage. Especially when you can get a $12 shower at a travel center, and you don't have to worry about bed bugs when you sleep in your vehicle.

What I really don't understand is the extremes of people today. It's seems everybody either wants to live in a cramped little tiny house, or they want to live in a giant ugly McMansion. It's like there is no middle ground. What happened to the people who just want to live in a nice moderate size one or two bedroom house with a nice yard and a white picket fence? It's like that is not even a consideration these days.
You are spot on with your post.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:

No one builds those anymore. And many - most? - of the older ones are too close in to the city centers to be moderately priced.

Folks who once bought those now buy condos instead.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No one builds those anymore. And many - most? - of the older ones are too close in to the city centers to be moderately priced.

Folks who once bought those now buy condos instead.
They don't build them, because nobody wants them. And I don't think the existing ones are only close to city centers. Many of them are in small towns. Of course the problem there, is there might not necessarily be jobs near by. Even the ones close to city centers are not necessarily overpriced. Detroit and Cleveland are filled with thousands of abandoned pre-1950 houses that nobody wants, at any price.

Another source is abandoned military housing. There are hundreds of thousands of abandoned military houses in this country that can be bought for as little as $10,000 or $15,000. Some of them get bought, the vast majority do not. They are just not what people are looking for. People will spend $15,000 to buy and convert a van, so they can squat in it at Slab City, but they won't pay $15,000 for a real house on a nearby abandoned military base. People nowadays are into extremes. They either want a tiny house or they want a McMansion.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
They don't build them, because nobody wants them. And I don't think the existing ones are only close to city centers. Many of them are in small towns. Of course the problem there, is there might not necessarily be jobs near by. Even the ones close to city centers are not necessarily overpriced. Detroit and Cleveland are filled with thousands of abandoned pre-1950 houses that nobody wants, at any price.

Another source is abandoned military housing. There are hundreds of thousands of abandoned military houses in this country that can be bought for as little as $10,000 or $15,000. Some of them get bought, the vast majority do not. They are just not what people are looking for. People will spend $15,000 to buy and convert a van, so they can squat in it at Slab City, but they won't pay $15,000 for a real house on a nearby abandoned military base. People nowadays are into extremes. They either want a tiny house or they want a McMansion.
That's not necessarily true. 1-2 bedroom, 900 sq ft old houses in Seattle, for instance, sell for a good 300,000. And more, depending on their neighborhood. They are wanted, even houses with very serious defects in this price range don't stay on the market long. But you can't find a similar new house in Seattle for a similar price.

A developer who manages to find developable land in Seattle can't build a modestly-priced stand-alone house with a yard. It won't pencil out. The people in Seattle who need cheap houses are not going to be able to commute 200 miles or more to their $15,000 old houses.

Now you can find such houses in, say, Detroit. Would you actually want to live there? Believe me, I've thought seriously about it. And the answer is no, I don't wanna live there. Can't stand the weather. Anyplace in the US that I'd want to live apparently is also desirable to many other people.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-16-2019 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Our upsized van camper has a full sized shower, fits in a STD parking spot and gets 18 -20 mpg. I add 'motor-aid' hw heaters / outdoor showers to my 52mpg station wagons.

When I travel, (for last 28 yrs) guest home lodging costs <$25/ night worldwide. (I have spent 300 days away in a yr, only 8 airport Hotels that yr, but a few months in vans in NZ and Australia.

I build 900-1500sf zero net energy homes and have no trouble selling them. I prefer a shop with apartment and rv hookups on a view acreage. I keep a few of these at favorite destinations. I rent out the main house and I stay for free. Deductable travel between homes.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-16-2019 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 06:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Put up a welcoming sign outside YOUR home.
Run a power cord or two and a garden hose down to the curb for them.
I'm sure they'll appreciate your viewpoint and share it with all the others
What on earth are you talking about?? That I support van life means I support mooching off of others' resources? I never said that, but good leap of logic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing