Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

Curious about the opening poster I searched his post history and came across several posts such as this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think it's also an automotive conspiracy to have a custom radio system that can't be replaced with an aftermarket radio. so that they can use the oem system to track you or even disable you. Yeah, disable your car or ecu.

I think I've wasted enough time giving advice to someone like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you should not buy a dog or own one, $40 is for cheap cereal dog food. what are you going to do with the dog the first time it throws up in your nice RV, or pees the carpet or takes a dump? How about vaccinations or regular vet check-ups, heartworm tests and medicine? are you prepared to regularly exercise your dog like walking it several times a day for an hour or more?

it would be better if you bought a motion light instead.
I had a collie that looked like LASSIE from 5th grade to college graduation. So I know the fuss about long haired hair shedding dogs. And We did not fuss with Vet trips or worming or shots for my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, except none of that applies as the OP is using the word "RV" to describe his mini van.
My minivan has literally been turned into a "Stealth RV concept." Real RVs with water tanks - that is a detriment in cold weather as these have to be winterized or else the lines and tanks freeze and burst. I have enough insulation now that last night I slept in my minivan in 39 F weather, the internal Camco Propane Heater was set at 1500 BTU, and I was at 75 F inside.

I have MORE RV CAPABILITIES that MANY TYPICAL RV's! I can RV in Winter, carry 10 bicycles, sleep, cook, carry a big clothing wardrobe, see TV, doing computing, watch movies, enjoy my "laptop stereo," and have 4G LTE internet.

I have a special 2005 DGC SXT that has the TOW Package and Deluxe Sound Insulation Group. Plus I modded it with LED Lights, 5 Spoke Alloys, cross drilled slotted rotors, rear speaker upgrades to a Kicker 6 x 10's, an Engine Block Heater, 4 Deep Cycle Batteries, an Internal 12V Fan, added window insulation, and it has 5 overhead bins [whereas many others have none or just two].

I'm still modifying my RV system further. I also have solar, wood, campfire, propane, and Coleman Dual Fuel cooking capabilities. I have a propane ribs cooker that can be used as a campfire or propane oven if modded.

I also have solar electric power systems.

I do not need water tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They are fine for an RV, but this guy is homeless and living in his minivan.
I have a 3 story house worth of possessions in 3 storage lots. A 12' x 50', and two 10' x 20's. And I have an income and money, too. I'm not the homeless street begger / thief type, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
lvmensch--

While your comments all have good points, as others have said, they don't really apply in this case. The OP is living (he says) in a Honda Odyssey minivan and a 14' cargo trailer with no windows. I regret that earlier in this thread, I mentioned a small dog would be better, but upon reflection, I would have to agree with others and say no dog would be the best answer.
I have a 2005 Dodge GC SXT towing a 6x15 Dual Axle Legend Trailer - top of the line model. Plus I have a 1999 Honda Civic HX ["from Texas"] car that I modded too. Gets 51.2 mpg at 70 mph cruising [lean burn mode], and I can nearly fix everything about it except do a clutch change. But auto repair shops are so convenient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
A minivan does not come with a climate controlled system, there is no heat or AC available with a simple hookup. I highly doubt the OP's van has been converted where it has one.
I figured out how to keep warm in winter, as in winter 2016 I got stuck in a KY Mall in a 12F Blizzard Weather for 3 days, and survived, - without keeping the engine running for heat. And then, my Propane ran low, too, - SHTF but I survived that too... -- My systems now are way better, though... And I figured out how to keep cool on hot summer days, too. At 60F outside temperature, with no internal heater, my body heat increases the minivan interior by 14 to 20 degrees Farenheit.

Next I'm going to have a high tech system of cooking and having a refrigerator that many Conventional RV's don't have. I have a 200W slow cooker, Solar oven, Propane Cooker, Campfire folding grill plate, 1400W Air Fry cooker, 2 microwaves [not installed, because I'm searching for a high tech / quality one that has true variable power levels], 92% efficient 2000W Pure Sine Wave Invertor, and a NuWave Induction Plate that has 600W, 900W, and 1300W Cooking Power Levels for RV use.

I cook Taco Meat + 3 egg omelets yet I end up with a good meal and I can use no water to clean up my eating plate, spoon, and frying pan.

I solar cooked a Campbell's Soup Clam Chowder Meal and then I clean up my soup bowl with NO WATER, too.

I've eaten MANY TV dinners and Totino's Pizza cooked on solar power.

I already had cooked chicken leg quarters on solar power too.

I do have water purification equipment, but never tried it yet.

Toilet? Don't need one. But I tested the "bucket" concept and it works, though.

I do know how to "Clean Up" with or without showers. And I need no internal showers in my "RV system."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Curious about the opening poster I searched his post history and came across several posts such as this one:

I think I've wasted enough time giving advice to someone like this.
You are actually very innocent and live an innocent life to not know that there is a "secret system and conspiracy" going on in America. I have a top notch Mech Eng degree, and one night I suffered an intolerable night in Champaign - Urbana that no matter what I did the ecu would shut the vehicle down... I know enough about Mech Eng / Computing / Electronics to figure out the secret product conspiracies out there, too.

Last edited by JTE1969; 10-28-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Quote:
I have a 2005 Dodge GC SXT towing a 6x15 Dual Axle Legend Trailer - top of the line model.
Well, excuse me for getting your 12 year old Dodge mixed up with a Honda Odyssey. It's still the same thing, a minivan, not an RV. Granted you might be able to keep your cargo trailer warm in the winter and maybe cool in the summer, but you are talking about keeping the dog in the minivan, not the trailer. What you do in the trailer is irrelevant.

How you keep your dog cool in the summer and warm in the winter in a minivan is what is relevant. You know that it can get up to 140 degrees inside a minivan in the summer. How do you plan to keep the dog cool? Opening a window? If you do that, then those really bad people will be able to get in and steal your junk just the same. If you get a dog that will bite anybody if they put their hand inside the open window, be ready for a huge lawsuit from the parents of the little kid who didn't know any better and wanted to pet your "doggie".

Oh well, you'll do what you want anyway, so it really doesn't matter what anyone of us says to you.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Um... I do have 2nd thoughts about the troubles with a dog... But I give this idea a strong consideration. If I left my minivan during the day, I'd leave the dog tied outside on a 25ft leash tied to the mounting hitch.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
I saw an ad for a Alaskan Husky or so... My friend said this dog gets too big! I went to Petco and they had Labrador Retrievers for $1800! That's crazy wack prices when some individual will sell them for $550!

Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?... I might use the dog for hunting, too...

Maybe I should get a Beagle?

I don't want to spend over $40 / month food budget on a dog, for specialized dog food. Is that too cheap? Then what size limit of a dog do I get?

NO, you should NOT get a dog. You have NO idea how to raise a dog, or keep a dog, you are committing animal cruelty ! Dogs belong in loving homes, not on the front seat of a minivan ! or tied to a rope on a hitch !

People should be licensed.

I can't even believe this post is real, I hope it isn't.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:36 AM

I had a collie from 5th grade to end of college and we only brought him to the Vet ONCE. He survived and was sturdy. People are a bunch of wimps today with their dogs.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I have a 3 story house worth of possessions in 3 storage lots. A 12' x 50', and two 10' x 20's. And I have an income and money, too. I'm not the homeless street begger / thief type, either.
I don't care what you say you own, a dog is not meant to live in a car. Period.

You should not own a dog. Period.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:42 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Um... I do have 2nd thoughts about the troubles with a dog... But I give this idea a strong consideration. If I left my minivan during the day, I'd leave the dog tied outside on a 25ft leash tied to the mounting hitch.
This is the worst post in the thread.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is the worst post in the thread.
I don't understand why... He'd guard both my minivan and cargo trailer that way.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
I don't understand why... He'd guard both my minivan and cargo trailer that way.
He'd have NO shelter from the elements. He'd have NO where to run if another dog attacks him. He could get tangled up in the tie out and injure himself.

He could easily be stolen by dog fighters and used as a bait dog or sold to a laboratory and be used for experiments. He could just be taken and tortured and stabbed and stuffed in a suitcase to die (actually happened recently) because there are sick, sick people out there.

And if someone wants to steal your stuff all they have to do is kill the dog or go around it. They could throw food at the dog and befriend it. A dog is not a good protection system.

It's a living creature whose life and well being it totally in your control and you are completely unconcerned about it's welfare.

ETA: In many places tying out a dog (tethering) is illegal.

Last edited by Rowan123; 11-01-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing