Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,755 times

Advertisements

Okay so we (56 year old mother and 17 year old me) live in Sudbury right now but we want to move somewhere else. It should be somewhere not too big (less than 200,000) and not too small (more than 10,000). We want to be able to rent a house for a good price. There has to be an art gallery or at least something for visual artists. It should be accessible and it would be nice if it were somewhat close to a larger town, especially Toronto.It should be peaceful and it should have nice places for people who like hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities (ski hill is a plus and so are nice parks). We don't care about nightlife and all those thingies. The roads should be suitable for cyclists (Sudbury is so bad for that! I just ride on the sidewalks here). It should be nice and not stuck up like Barrie (no offense lol). It shouldn't be overly crime ridden.
I know this is alot to ask but I'm trying to narrow it down as much as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
stratford?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
stratford?
Okay thanks, I will check Stratford out. =)

Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 AM

661 posts, read 1,251,422 times
Niagara near Niagara on the Lake.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

398 posts, read 733,022 times
St. Catharines seems to fit the bill, except for the skiing.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks you guys are all very helpful I will check out these two places as well.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
(56 year old mother and 17 year old me)
At 17 your decision should be based on what you intend to do after high school. Go to college? Work at Tim Hortons? No point moving to a small town then dumping your Mom to go off to college or to a job elsewhere.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

22 posts, read 84,579 times
Depends on how much rent/mortgage you can afford to pay as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 63,773 times
Barrie has a lot of what you are looking for, and would also accommodate you for post-secondary learning if want to pursue that. But, I agree Barrie is really stuck up. I've had the misfortune of spending several years in Barrie and it's definitely not for me. It's got a bit of all kinds of people, but is definitely a blue collar city and gets cold, snowy winters. Not that there's anything wrong with blue collar workers - I was one for several years and I still like driving a 4wd pickup truck. But I also like the finer things in life too. And I prefer milder, shorter winters (or ideally, no winter at all), so a snowbelt city is the wrong place for me. Plus, I just never really clicked with anyone from Barrie. Odd, considering there are so many different kinds of people from so many different places moving to Barrie, which is a rapidly expanding city. That's another issue with Barrie - it's sprawling. But, you said you probably wouldn't consider Barrie anyways. Good choice!

St. Catharines might be nice, but so is Hamilton. I'm 38 and have elderly parents and we were seriously considering Hamilton. It may still be an option, but has been put on the back burner for now. It's not my ideal city, but I could live with it, at least for a while. It also offers much of what you are looking for, though not sure how many galleries/museums there are. Skiing is not too far away. I'm not a skier, but I believe there is skiing within a reasonably short car ride. Hamilton housing prices aren't as bad as Toronto, but they're no bargain either. Manageable, but not small town cheap.

EDIT: Hamilton may be a bit bigger of a city than you are looking for, but there are several outlying areas that are nice too, and close to the ammenities of Hamilton. Right next door is Burlington, seems nice. In teh other direction, Stoney Creek (really part of Hamilton though) and scenic Grimsby, Beamsville, etc. Definitely small townish though, you'd have to go to nearby Hamilton or St. Catharines or Niagara Falls for some of the ammenities. My parents have considered all of these towns in the Hamilton area in the recent past as we're planning a relocation too. Though, I have my eyes set on the west coast.

Last edited by copious; 03-02-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,818 times
London! Yes, it is bigger, but there are wonderful communities like St. Thomas that feel small-town and you will have access to city of London services and schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada