Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,462 times

Advertisements

There have been recent discussions had between the US and Canadian Governments regarding Border security etc

brief description here: Obama, Harper to announce border-security review (http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Obama+Harper+announce+joint+border+security+review/4211351/story.html - broken link)

Is this good or bad for Canada, what are the pro's and con's for both countries if this goes through?

discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,714 times
I think it's BS if you ask me. It's an excuse to force more security on the population, and move towards a world world government.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,462 times
somehow I think Canadians would get the short end of the stick if it goes through

Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,847 times
Agreed... I see the stick for Canada, but where is the carrot???

It's like they are trying to build an EU style security perimeter but without the mobility of the EU...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
I read the article and couldnt find where people crossing the border legally at a border Xing would have anything to object about.If you plan on crossing illegally theres more chance you will get caught..
I'm not seeing the problem

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I read the article and couldnt find where people crossing the border legally at a border Xing would have anything to object about.If you plan on crossing illegally theres more chance you will get caught..
The time to cross legally is the problem... If you add additional checks during a crossing that takes more time... More time equals longer waits... Longer waits equal more inconvenience and hassle which equals less trade.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:

The "problems" boil down to 2 things: money and power.

Certain business interests would like what amounts to an open border (commercially) because it would enhance their ability to make money.

Other interests would like to see a commonality of security decision making because they would gain additional power and control.

On one hand, you have politicos like Senator Joe Lieberman who consistently apply pressure by threatening to further tighten the US-Canada border. This upsets Canadian business honchos who see access to the American market becoming more difficult to attain. Those business honchos then pressure Canadian politicians to "do something".

Nation & World | Report: terror risk on Canada border | Seattle Times Newspaper

The "something" is a proposal to adjust Canadian security policies to a level which satisfies the US government.

Canada rejects idea of visas for U.S. border (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/eyes+visas+Canadians+over+loose+border+security/4204503/story.html - broken link)

On the other hand, you have a group of Canadian politicians and interest groups who claim synchronizing Canadian security requirements with US standards is akin to allowing a foreign government to dictate policy. They feel policies on Canadian immigration and border defence should be formulated in Canada by a government elected by Canadians. They say any decisions made on achieving commonalities with the US should be openly debated by Parliament before being implemented.

There are also some concerns about information sharing between countries and how much access US authorities should be permitted to have in regard to Canadian citizens/residents.

Of course, the spin from Washington is that Lieberman is just one senator and doesn't form official policy --- it's classic "threaten the other guy with a gun and he'll be glad to only get a punch in the mouth" strategy.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If you want to keep terrorists out of your country then some inconvenience at the border is going to be a given,however i agree that the requiring of all Canadians to have a visa to cross the border is an inconvenience gone too far and will only result in a massive reduction in Canadians crossing the border..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
If you want to keep terrorists out of your country then some inconvenience at the border is going to be a given,however i agree that the requiring of all Canadians to have a visa to cross the border is an inconvenience gone too far and will only result in a massive reduction in Canadians crossing the border..

Exactly.........

So what will it take for the US government to forget about a visa requirement?

Some suggest the US will put forth a list of changes to Canadian security and immigration policy that will bring those areas more in sync with US models ------ in effect, US politicians deciding what Canadian policy will be.

There are also concerns being expressed over the idea that these types of discussions are being conducted behind closed doors with little to no input from Parliament.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Agreed... I see the stick for Canada, but where is the carrot???

It's like they are trying to build an EU style security perimeter but without the mobility of the EU...
agreed if things get worse with the euro failing and the ME is up in the air to what will happen annd if things hit the fan and get real bad we can just stay around a secure north american perimeter with enough natural resources to not have to worry about much.

we can just sit it out and build up north american infrastructure and start to rebuild our manufacturing industry and we could come back with one heck of an economy maybe build a high speed rail system and updating our power grids and to handle the huge power demands for north america for the rest of the 21st century. We could also get NASA going again and try to get back on the moon so canada and the U.S. would be the first to do so in the 21st century because that would show that show we still got it in us to do amazing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada