Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 85,083 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from South Bend, In to Niagara on the Lake, ONT. Should be cross into Canada at Sarnia/Port Huron, Buffalo Peace Bridge or Niagara Rainbow or Queenston-Lewiston?

Seems that we would cross at Port Huron earlier in the day which might have a lighter wait time faster than if we arrive to cross in New York 4-5 PM. However, we could use our radar detector if we drive further in the US by crossing one of the 3 bridges in NY and make up for any additional miles by going this route.

Which bridge would you recommend? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Sarnia is the second-busiest border crossing after Detroit, but this is mostly due to commercial trucks which have their own lanes. My sense is that the Niagara crossings are much, much busier when it comes to passenger cars in their dedicated lanes.

Coming into Ontario from New York State at Niagara at that time you will be with all of the Canadian cross-border shoppers and other vacationers returning home. Especially if it is on weekend - Sundays (late PM) are often the worst, as are Mondays of long weekends.

You will get this traffic at Sarnia as well but not so much given the time you will cross and as the population on the Canadian side is quite a bit less than the area of Canada just west of Niagara that uses those crossings.

I guess your radar detector would allow you to speed in the States - I was going to say that in Ontario even though the limit is officially 100 km/h, you can get away with 120-125 without any problems. Not sure how fast you can drive with a radar detector covering you since I have never used one.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM

We will be crossing on a Thursday.

A big concern is our dog's food (technically it should be manufactured in the US or Canada and her food comes from New Zealand). We are in big trouble if the agent decides to confiscate it. There is no way to know if Sarnia or NY would be a better option. WE had no trouble last fall in Victoria BC with her food.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM

86 posts, read 401,000 times
My (somewhat limited) experience strongly dictates that Sarnia will be much less busy than any Niagara region crossing. But if you must cross in the Niagara region, do yourself a favor and choose the Queenston/Lewiston one. Your dog's food should be OK crossing into Canada, but give the CBSA a call firsthand to be sure (Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue à l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada). Still, it's the U.S. CBP that has a fixation on inspecting and confiscating foodstuffs and produce (vegetables, meat, milk, etc.) not having originated there, not Canada.

I noticed you mentioning a radar detector. You may or may not be aware of this, but radar detectors are illegal in most of Canada, including Ontario. And by illegal, I mean "it MUST be tucked and hidden away in your trunk for the whole duration of the trip on Ontario roads" because if cops see it affixed to your windshield or anywhere else in your car, they WILL take it away and fine you for it. The OPP absolutely loves confiscating the things from unsuspecting American motorists. It won't matter if it's "turned off". The law is based on possession in a moving vehicle, not use like in the few U.S. states where they are illegal (Virginia comes to mind if I remember correctly). Consider yourself warned.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM

thanks for the heads up on the radar detector. My husband does have a lead foot and I know he will have trouble keeping our speed under 120 while in Canada. That's why he would prefer staying in the US and using the detector. I finally convinced him that there is such a device as a radar detector detector.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
There is a detector called the Bel STI driver that cannot be detected. It is the only one on the market that can be safely used in places like Ontario or Virginia where the cops use RDDs to catch motorists using radar detectors. Ironically it is manufactured in Mississauga, Ontario.

You're going on a vacation, a big part of vacationing is seeing the place you came to visit. Just keep it under 120 km/h and you should be fine. The 401 from Sarnia to Niagara is a more interesting drive for an American than driving I-90 on the south shore of Lake Erie, merely because of the differences in signage and the "Canadianness" of the towns you'll be passing through. Cross at Sarnia and enjoy the drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
There is a detector called the Bel STI driver that cannot be detected. It is the only one on the market that can be safely used in places like Ontario or Virginia where the cops use RDDs to catch motorists using radar detectors. Ironically it is manufactured in Mississauga, Ontario.

You're going on a vacation, a big part of vacationing is seeing the place you came to visit. Just keep it under 120 km/h and you should be fine. The 401 from Sarnia to Niagara is a more interesting drive for an American than driving I-90 on the south shore of Lake Erie, merely because of the differences in signage and the "Canadianness" of the towns you'll be passing through. Cross at Sarnia and enjoy the drive.

I bet the drive on the 401 from Sarnia to Niagara Falls would be interesting ---- except, of course, for the small issue of the 401 not running from Sarnia to NF.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I bet the drive on the 401 from Sarnia to Niagara Falls would be interesting ---- except, of course, for the small issue of the 401 not running from Sarnia to NF.
You take the 402 from Sarnia to the 401 to the 403 to Brantford and hamilton to the to the QEW to Niagara. Very easy.

Having crossed all those border points over 150 times over the last 4 years I can tell you a few things. WE always had 2 dogs with us and the Canadian guards never once asked about the dog food. The US guards did though quite often and we had dog food confiscated a couple of times. From that point on we always bought dog food made in the USA which is allowable in Canada too. I would just put the dog food made in NZ in an Iams bag just in case they check and then there will be no problem.

On the best route to take. You will save a lot of time going through Sarnia. The bridge is rarely busy and there is no urban driving involved. Actually I'm amazed at the speed of traffic on both the 402 and the 403 where most cars seem to be going 140. I drive 120 and I have to stay in the slow lane.

If you come the other way your only option really is Windsor. To come all the way from where you are through the USA to Niagara is way out of the way. It will take many extra hours and a fairly big toll to boot.
My wife and I travelled from Niagara to Chicago at least once a month and the Sarnia route is the only way to go.

I hope that you have a really great time in NOTL. We like it so much that we had our honeymoon there and we only live 8 miles away,LOL.

Be sure to drive from NOTL to Niagara falls along the Niagara Parkway, You can stop at the Niagara botanical gardens, they are beautiful and free. There is the butterfly pavilion on the grounds and they say it's the best in the world, You pass by Queenston heights which also has beautiful grounds and you can climb up Brock's monument and get a panoramic view of NY state. From NOTL to St. Catherines along the lakeshore is also a nice little drive. If you have not been there before I have to tell you that the wineries that have been built over the last 20 years or so in the area are just amazing. I like going around to them just to see the buildings and grounds and I don't even drink wine. Of course the town of NOTL is a little gem in it's self and there is no end of things to do right there.

The fastest and least busy bridge of them all is the rainbow bridge right in Niagara falls. Half the time I go over the river I just pull right up to customs without any wait at all. It's a nice drive to cross at the Queenston- Lewiston bridge and drive along the river and come back into Canada at the rainbow bridge then back to NOTL along the parkway.

Last edited by lucknow; 08-09-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
The bulk of the drive from Sarnia to Niagara Falls is on the 401. Yes, you take the 402 to the 401 to the 403 to the QEW as lucknow said.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for such valuable information! I'm now convinced that Sarnia is our best route (if I can convince my husband to set the cruise control under 120!). I will watch wait times on the Canadian border website for weekday crossing but it will be less than NY. The extra cost of gas in Canada will be washed by the cost of the Ohio toll road fee of $15. I am glad to know that the 402, 401, 403 are more interesting than I 90 along Lake Erie. All considered, Sarnia is the winner.

I am sure we will thoroughly enjoy our 3 nights in NOTL. The Botanic Gardens looks like a great place to visit as well as the wineries.

Any special wineries we should consider (I don't drink wine) but would enjoy touring around beautifully landscaped grounds. ( My husband would enjoy the tasting part!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada