Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 54,197 times

Advertisements

I'm a european who is going to move to the states in august 2012 and one of my three choices is Victoria.
What can you tell me about it?
Any pros and cons?

Is it a liberal and tollerant community?

How is it comparing to Chicago, Illinois, US and Grand Forks, North Dakota, US? (these are my two other choices).

Tell me as much as you can

I am into liberal and tollerant community since I'm gay and would be a foreigner there. I am Icelandic for that matter.
Also I would wish the place to be very nice, with friendly people.
I'd like to avoid rednecks and possible gangs.
I wanna come back to europe alive

Also night life is important to me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky3169 View Post
I'm a european who is going to move to the states in august 2012 and one of my three choices is Victoria.
What can you tell me about it?
Any pros and cons?

Is it a liberal and tollerant community?

How is it comparing to Chicago, Illinois, US and Grand Forks, North Dakota, US? (these are my two other choices).

Tell me as much as you can

I am into liberal and tollerant community since I'm gay and would be a foreigner there. I am Icelandic for that matter.
Also I would wish the place to be very nice, with friendly people.
I'd like to avoid rednecks and possible gangs.
I wanna come back to europe alive

Also night life is important to me!
first off Victoria is not in the STATES!!!! check the map.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 54,197 times
Oh gosh sorry. I meant to say north america, the states just popped up somehow.

No offence...
You could have replied my questions though

Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky3169 View Post
Oh gosh sorry. I meant to say north america, the states just popped up somehow.

No offence...
You could have replied my questions though
I would break down your decision like this:

1) Don't go to North Dakota.

2) If you place a high value on being near nature including salt water, evergreen forests and mountains, and prefer smaller (not tiny, but not huge) cities, go to Victoria.

3) If you place a high value on nightlife, want to try living in a really big, diverse city with at least two established gay neighborhoods and where the majority of the parts of the city you'd be living in is quite gay friendly, choose Chicago.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, which includes Seattle and generally gets lumped together with B.C. because it's a very similar culture. I liked it and I think you'd like it, too, but personally I like Chicago better for the simple reason that it's bigger and, in my experience, more diverse and has greater experiences.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
You mentioned "redneck". it all depends on what your definition of "redneck is"

In Canada it can take on a whole new meaning

CCGRA > Central Canada Gay Rodeo Association

Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Dang, some of those cowboys look pretty good !

Old 11-11-2011, 04:12 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Chucky, how do you feel about rain and dark cloudy days? You'll get a lot of that in Victoria .

It's a beautiful place but I don't know if it will have the nightlife you want. From my experience (I lived there 4 years) I think they will be very 'gay friendly and tolerant', as will much of Canada (I can't speak for the sticks though).

If it's an option, Vancouver might suit you better - any others want to pipe in on this?

Of course, Toronto has the gay pride parade etc. and it's own gay neighborhoods so it's a nobrainer but that option may not be on the table for you.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 PM

352 posts, read 1,003,693 times
Victoria is fine for small size city living just like Bellingham. You can easily find a place to get away from it all, but still have some city living comforts. If you want something a bit bigger but still in the same general area, Seattle or Vancouver might be more your thing. But I do think the Pacific Northwest is the best place to live, but I'm a little bias because I live here :P

Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,206 times
I've never been to Victoria but I would go with Chicago.
I have a feeling you think Chicago is full of gangs and violent (based on media/movies). It's not. Sure there are rough areas and gang activity but that is a small part of the city. Lots of great restaurants, nightlife, and gay culture. Not sure I would want to move to Victoria as a young gay man?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
OP what is it that has narrowed your options to those three places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada