Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 27,604 times

Advertisements

My soon to be husband informed me yesterday that a job transfer from South Louisiana to St Johns Newfoundland seems as if it will happen within a couple months, maybe sooner. As excited as I am to escape Louisiana, I have several concerns. Hoping someone out there has made this move nd can answer some specific questions. My biggest concern is moving my children. Daughter, age 10 and son, age 8. They are in private school here (because my public school system isn't wonderful) and I don't know if I should continue with private schools in St Johns or go with public? So many people don't want to really give an opinion on this for some reason...but I really need some advice. I'd love to have someone specify a school....and a neighborhood. I'm very noervous that we will move there and move into the "wrong" neighborhood and enroll my children into the "wrong" school. I want this relocation to be as positive as possible for young children (and myself as well) so I'm open to hearing anything anyone has to say. I will admit to not having much information on the St Johns area and am looking on the internet to educate myself.
Even concerned that we have 2 dogs and wondering if they will be welcomed into Canada...what do they have to go through if anything?
If the children have a good experience, so will I. So I need to try and manage this move as best as possible.
One other thing...How do I get accurate information about the cost of living in the St Johns area? I believe the new job will be between Mt. Pearl and St. Johns area. We are wondering how much houses cost there compared to here. I know here I have gone to the CPI to see about comaring cities...but how do I compare my current city to St Johns? Same for a salary request. How do I know what to ask for comparatively?
ANY ANY ANY information, experiences, opinions, etc will be welcomed!!
Thanks...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Cant give much info on living there as i've only visited as a tourist..
Going to be quite the change from the southern states to the Rock..
Be prepared for some of the friendliest people you've ever met, so friendly that some who arent familiar with Newfoundlander s get a bit uncomfortable with this level of openess and friendliness.
st john's newfoundland - Google Search

Also dont mix up St John New Brunswick with St Johns Nfld

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
This is a Web site with property listings from across Canada. It is quite complete:
REALTOR.ca - Welcome
Type in St. John's NL or Mount Pearl NL and you should get an idea of the houses and prices.

Overall, you should not be concerned at all about personal safety and bad areas. St. John's and Newfoundland are extremely low crime when compared to where you are coming from.

Regarding pets, check here: Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Pet Imports

I would say your biggest concerns should not be cost of living, schools, safety or fitting in, but rather how you will adapt to a much colder, foggier, and rainy/snowy climate. This will likely be your biggest challenge coming from Louisiana.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the reply. I figure I can handle anything weather wise...just need the right gear, correct? I want us to experience a different lifestyle and I figure this is pretty drastic of a change! I really worry about the kids meeting new people as they are very shy and I am even scared for them! We all seem to have a bit of social anxiety!!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM

When you say people being open and friendly...and a possible "uncomfortable" feeling about this....people here in S. Louisiana are "huggy" people. Everyone hugs and "touches" when they talk. We all talk with our hands a lot. A touch of the hand or shoulder is very common. Is it that way there? Are the kids respectful in that they say Yes sir and no sir, please and thank you, and call their elders Ms. and Mr.?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Maybe not huggy kissy friendly but folks will go out of their way to help you.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,857,112 times
There shouldnt be an issue at all with the public school system in NFLD. The weather rarely dips under freezing (think Boston/New England temperatures).

Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
The weather rarely dips under freezing (think Boston/New England temperatures).
The climate section on this page shows the actual averages:
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both daytime and nighttime temperatures appear to average just at or below freezing in Dec., Jan. and Feb.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynraysmommy View Post
My soon to be husband informed me yesterday that a job transfer from South Louisiana to St Johns Newfoundland seems as if it will happen within a couple months, maybe sooner. As excited as I am to escape Louisiana, I have several concerns. Hoping someone out there has made this move nd can answer some specific questions. My biggest concern is moving my children. Daughter, age 10 and son, age 8. They are in private school here (because my public school system isn't wonderful) and I don't know if I should continue with private schools in St Johns or go with public? So many people don't want to really give an opinion on this for some reason...but I really need some advice. I'd love to have someone specify a school....and a neighborhood. I'm very noervous that we will move there and move into the "wrong" neighborhood and enroll my children into the "wrong" school. I want this relocation to be as positive as possible for young children (and myself as well) so I'm open to hearing anything anyone has to say. I will admit to not having much information on the St Johns area and am looking on the internet to educate myself.
Even concerned that we have 2 dogs and wondering if they will be welcomed into Canada...what do they have to go through if anything?
If the children have a good experience, so will I. So I need to try and manage this move as best as possible.
One other thing...How do I get accurate information about the cost of living in the St Johns area? I believe the new job will be between Mt. Pearl and St. Johns area. We are wondering how much houses cost there compared to here. I know here I have gone to the CPI to see about comaring cities...but how do I compare my current city to St Johns? Same for a salary request. How do I know what to ask for comparatively?
ANY ANY ANY information, experiences, opinions, etc will be welcomed!!
Thanks...........

The two bolded parts of your post set an alarm bell jangling.

You don't say if your soon to be husband is going to St. Johns on a temporary work permit or if the move will be permanent; There is a difference in the immigration methods for the two options.

Regardless, there may be issues surrounding the eligibility of you and your children to accompany your soon to be husband into Canada. You need to really dig into that question with the appropriate person in the HR department and perhaps with Citizenship and Immigration Canada. A boyfriend/girlfriend relationship may not be recognized as grounds allowing you to move into Canada.

You don't mention if man in question is the father of the children.

Also be aware that if the children are yours from a previous relationship, you will want to have documented clearance from the childrens' biological father for them to accompany you to Canada. If you have a divorce/custody agreement, be sure to check that it allows you remove the children from the state.

Not trying to be a PIA, but sometimes these issues can be a real pain to deal with and it's better to get it all straightened out ahead of time.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynraysmommy View Post
When you say people being open and friendly...and a possible "uncomfortable" feeling about this....people here in S. Louisiana are "huggy" people. Everyone hugs and "touches" when they talk. We all talk with our hands a lot. A touch of the hand or shoulder is very common. Is it that way there? Are the kids respectful in that they say Yes sir and no sir, please and thank you, and call their elders Ms. and Mr.?
Kids are respectful but we don't typically say Yes sir or Yes Ma'am in Canada. Just "yes". Also, at many schools in Canada teachers are addressed by their first name. () Personally I hated my children calling their teacher by their first names, but the schools didn't ask my opinion. Go figure. It will depend on the school though, and some still do use Mr/Mrs/Ms.

To find a good school, sometimes the best bet is to speak to real estate agents - they know which ones are said to be the best, and then you buy a house (or rent) in that zone. School info here: Eastern School District - Newfoundland and Labrador
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada