Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,772 times

Advertisements

hi all, this is my first time making a post on-line. Im from Ireland & like thousands, are moving away in search of a better life for there family's.

Im a professional & skilled chef who is going to move over later this year with my wife to be, and 2 year old daughter. As a family we are looking for a clean safe place to settle where I can continue with my career and my wife and daughter can enjoy themselves. we are torn between Vancouver, Toronto & Ottawa. 3 different cities I know :P

any information that would suit us would be very much welcome !!!

Area's that are nice for family's (close to schools & shops ) but easy to get to via public transport to the nice restaurants where i could work within a bistro or fining dinning environment.

Actually any chef information would be GREAT !!

List of nice Companies to work for in the industry ?
average wage for a Chef de Parti up to Head chef ?
Work hours per week ? same as over here ( to many to keep track of ?)

well thanks all !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
No idea what it pays (and it will vary widely anyway, from city to city and company to company). Some jobs are listed here: Chef De Partie Jobs | Simply Hired Canada

Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
The are 3 quite different cities. Likely need to figure out which of those before we can talk about specific neighborhoods.

You could consider a vacation to spend a few days in each and get a feel for them with your family. When you get back the one you and your family spend the most time talking about or that you felt you didn't get a chance to see all you wanted and would like to go back is the winner.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM

235 posts, read 837,461 times
How important would it be to be near an Irish expat community? Toronto has a large one.

Just a suggestion, but you could also look through the employment ads in the local newspapers online (Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Vancouver Province are the large newspapers in each city).

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
I would imagine Toronto would not be an ideal place for a newcomer unless you had contacts, because the competition for these jobs would be intimidating, to put it mildly. For some reason I'm thinking Ottawa might be a good place to start looking, don't ask me why..

Best thing for you to do is plan a recce and see if you can drum up any interest in any of those chosen locales...

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I would imagine Toronto would not be an ideal place for a newcomer unless you had contacts, because the competition for these jobs would be intimidating, to put it mildly. For some reason I'm thinking Ottawa might be a good place to start looking, don't ask me why..

Best thing for you to do is plan a recce and see if you can drum up any interest in any of those chosen locales...

Good luck!
A bigger city like Toronto means more competition, but it also means more opportunity. That's why so many people move there.

All three cities have good economies and high quality of life. In the end, it boils down more to what kind of city you want to live in. The three are on three different size levels (which entails a whole bunch of other differences), and there are also differences in climate between them.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM

29 posts, read 48,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabongi View Post
hi all, this is my first time making a post on-line. Im from Ireland & like thousands, are moving away in search of a better life for there family's.

Im a professional & skilled chef who is going to move over later this year with my wife to be, and 2 year old daughter. As a family we are looking for a clean safe place to settle where I can continue with my career and my wife and daughter can enjoy themselves. we are torn between Vancouver, Toronto & Ottawa. 3 different cities I know :P

any information that would suit us would be very much welcome !!!

Area's that are nice for family's (close to schools & shops ) but easy to get to via public transport to the nice restaurants where i could work within a bistro or fining dinning environment.

Actually any chef information would be GREAT !!

List of nice Companies to work for in the industry ?
average wage for a Chef de Parti up to Head chef ?
Work hours per week ? same as over here ( to many to keep track of ?)

well thanks all !!!
here is a recent article on the restaurant scene in Toronto. The scene has changed dramatically in the last 5 yrs for the better...quantity of restaurants and certainly quality.

Toronto’s restaurants: sprinting to the top, but feeling the burn - The Globe and Mail

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 AM

63 posts, read 120,918 times
I would suggest to find more about job opportunities (and maybe eventually find and get a certain job) and then relocate based on these facts.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Vancouver has an exciting restaurant scene but also has lots of nature nearby. In addition, it has a longer growing season and access to fresh seafood and local produce. Weather-wise it would be similar to Ireland. Ottawa would be more affordable however, but it's a much smaller city with a much more extreme climate (short but hot summers, cold long sub-zero winters, non-existent spring, beautiful autumns). Toronto's the largest city and provides the true urban experience - don't go there for nature, however. It's the most populated, industrialized part of the country. Toronto's also famous for its hot and humid summers. It's colder than Vancouver in the winter, warmer than Ottawa. Climate-wise, it's more similar to Ottawa than Vancouver.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times
Have you considered moving to Edmonton or Calgary? Desperate shortage of quality chefs in the booming Prairie provinces and they are becoming more cosmopolitan all the time. Unemployment rate in Alberta is 4.9%.

As well, the camps up north in the oilsands regions (Ft. McMurray/Wood Buffalo Region) are always desperate for quality chefs. These camps compete for business many cases from different oil/gas companies and it has been known that campers even switch camps to follow a top chef and his team! Needless to say, if pure income is your major concern the camps are the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada