Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Agree with our friend. Here in Canada, a "pint" is 20 fluid ounces, regardless of the size of the ounce. It's bigger than the US pint, no matter how you measure it.

That being said, it pays to know how much you're getting. My local sports bar sells "pints" off the tap as 14 (yes, fourteen) ounces; but they freely admit that they are smaller than Imperial or US pints, and I accept that. There is no cheating; I know what I am getting. The barman will gladly tell you what you're getting: 14 ounces.

I do miss the 20-oz Imperial pints I knew in Ontario. Why they are not in use here in Alberta, I have no idea.
ChevySpoons, please re-read my posts. I think you are misunderstanding, as is Macloc, my points. Nowhere am I saying that a legal pint in Canada isn't 20 imperial fluid oz or 568 ml's.

Also this makes no sense to me when you say "Here in Canada, a "pint" is 20 fluid ounces, regardless of the size of the ounce. It's bigger than the US pint, no matter how you measure it."
An imperial pint is bigger than a legal U.S. pint exactly because of the way we measure it. 20 fluid imperial oz is a different amount than 20 U.S. oz So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

What I did say is that when ordering a pint in Canada, you don't always get a LEGAL pint when ordering a pint. As both of you have agreed with, you even admit your bar calls the measly 14 oz a pint.
Macloc's has said " What are you talking about? There is no such thing as "a metric pint"" which is not true. It may not be a legal pint in Canada but there is such a thing and 500 ml's has been referred to as a metric pint for years as some of my quotes from articles in a previous point out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Sorry, Natnasci, but you are about as clear as mud. There's no need to get your knickers into a twist if people cannot pick out what you are trying to relay because your written expression is somewhat confusing. And for what it is worth, I quoted you word for word:

We are talking about Canada. You really should stop dragging the United States into it. A pint here is 20 fluid ounces, or 568 ml as you correctly explain using the metric system. Anything else is not what is expected when one orders a pint in a Canadian establishment. Serving a lesser measure does not for a pint make here because that lesser measure is considered a pint (or a pint equivalent) elsewhere.
Ok I do admit your quote is accurate and was an error on my part when calculating stupidly in my head the actual amount the U.S. fluid oz is over the imperial oz.
However the whole point of my answering you was to point out that a metric pint does exist. As you, myself and chevyspoons ALL admit, when ordering a pint you don't always get a pint, you get what that bar serves you as a pint. Unless you are looking at a menu, you may be unaware since I've NEVER had a bartender correct me and say it's not a legal pint.

I think you are hung up on the legality of what a legal pint is. I have never said that a metric pint was an official measurement, as highlighted in red in my quote from that article. I did say that when ordering a pint you may bet A,B, or C. or even D as chevyspoon says.

What I have said is that a metric pint does exist contrary to your statement that it does not. Many unofficial things exist as we all know.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
A metric pint does not exist. It makes about as much sense as saying that an Imperial litre exists. The very idea of a metric pint is lazy at best; an oxymoron at worst. Just because other people get it wrong doesn't mean that you have do so as well, mon vieux.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
A metric pint does not exist. It makes about as much sense as saying that an Imperial litre exists. The very idea of a metric pint is lazy at best; an oxymoron at worst. Just because other people get it wrong doesn't mean that you have do so as well, mon vieux.
Are you saying overall a metric pint doesn't exist? We already know that it is not the official pint measurement in Canada, but as I've said, over and over and over and over again, the metric pint does exist. I used to think it was just an unofficial measurement. The great thing about the internet is that you find, sometimes after a bit of digging, interesting things. What amazed me is that this book is from 1885. The term " metric pint " is used even there...so it did exist at one time and now is gone?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 7.37.16 PM.png
Views:	219
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	106504

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 7.37.57 PM.png
Views:	228
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	106505

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Are you saying overall a metric pint doesn't exist?
Of course it doesn't. The very concept of a metric pint makes about as much sense as the Imperial litre, as already noted.

Quote:
We already know that it is not the official pint measurement in Canada, but as I've said, over and over and over and over again, the metric pint does exist.
It doesn't and repeating this to yourself and to the rest of us doesn't make it true.

Quote:
I used to think it was just an unofficial measurement.
You thought right.

Quote:
The great thing about the internet is that you find, sometimes after a bit of digging, interesting things. What amazed me is that this book is from 1885. The term " metric pint " is used even there...so it did exist at one time and now is gone?
Attachment 106504

Attachment 106505
It never existed. Read the attachment -- it's a half-litre. This book was written in an era when metric measures would have been extremely foreign to the overwhelming majority of readers. Using a pint as a rough approximation for a half-litre, thereby introducing American people to metric measures in 1885 and how to convert them into the commonly used measures of the day, is how you intend to prove to the readers that metric pints are real? I can't wait for your proof showing us that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are all real as well.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
I think, that the Canada forum, is the ONLY place on CD where you'll find people arguing about the legality of a pint of beer.

Well done my friends and countrymen. Well done, indeed.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I think, that the Canada forum, is the ONLY place on CD where you'll find people arguing about the legality of a pint of beer.

Well done my friends and countrymen. Well done, indeed.

Well beer is a passion ! However we and Macloc are not disagreeing on the size of a legal pint in Canada. We are disagreeing on the term " metric pint " as existing as a term for 500 ml.. So far I've copied some articles using the term and on the last post a page from a book on measurements that used the term as well. For some reason Macloc, I think is stuck in the legality aspect of the term. If it isn't legal it doesn't exist to him/her. To me it's like saying the Loonie doesn't exist because the official term is dollar or dollar coin.
It's a silly disagreement, I agree...but hey isn't this forum really another bit of entertainment.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Well beer is a passion ! However we and Macloc are not disagreeing on the size of a legal pint in Canada. We are disagreeing on the term " metric pint " as existing as a term for 500 ml.. So far I've copied some articles using the term and on the last post a page from a book on measurements that used the term as well. For some reason Macloc, I think is stuck in the legality aspect of the term. If it isn't legal it doesn't exist to him/her. To me it's like saying the Loonie doesn't exist because the official term is dollar or dollar coin.
It's a silly disagreement, I agree...but hey isn't this forum really another bit of entertainment.
Alright, I cannot leave well enough alone. How many pennies are in a Loonie, Natnasci? And how many pennies are in a dollar? It's one hundred for both, isn't it? So the informal term refers to the same thing as the official term.

The same cannot be said for the non-existent "metric pint" and the pint, now can it? How many millilitres are in your imaginary "metric pint"? 500 ml, right? And how many millilitres are in a real pint? In Canada, that measure is 568 ml. And the one part of this that you are completely ignoring is that when some people order a pint in a bar or a pub -- no one in a Canadian bar or pub orders a "metric pint" or an American pint -- they are given a half-litre or a US pint, lesser measures both. Sometimes they are given even less, with the 14 fluid ounce measure being called a pint in some pubs in Alberta as previously noted. This results in the consumer being short-changed and because many Canadians either do not know the difference or they are complacent, they are getting ripped off by unscrupulous pub owners. You can bet the guys and gals who own the pubs know that a real pint is 20 fluid ounces.

If you would like to bicker, then please do try to make your analogies fit the situation. And do not try to retort weakly that both "metric pint" and pint both refer to large glasses of draft beer when contemplating beer.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Alright, I cannot leave well enough alone. How many pennies are in a Loonie, Natnasci? And how many pennies are in a dollar? It's one hundred for both, isn't it? So the informal term refers to the same thing as the official term.

The same cannot be said for the non-existent "metric pint" and the pint, now can it? How many millilitres are in your imaginary "metric pint"? 500 ml, right? And how many millilitres are in a real pint? In Canada, that measure is 568 ml. And the one part of this that you are completely ignoring is that when some people order a pint in a bar or a pub -- no one in a Canadian bar or pub orders a "metric pint" or an American pint -- they are given a half-litre or a US pint, lesser measures both. Sometimes they are given even less, with the 14 fluid ounce measure being called a pint in some pubs in Alberta as previously noted. This results in the consumer being short-changed and because many Canadians either do not know the difference or they are complacent, they are getting ripped off by unscrupulous pub owners. You can bet the guys and gals who own the pubs know that a real pint is 20 fluid ounces.

If you would like to bicker, then please do try to make your analogies fit the situation. And do not try to retort weakly that both "metric pint" and pint both refer to large glasses of draft beer when contemplating beer.
I've been trying to figure out why you keep insisting that I am saying that a metric pint is what you get when ordering a beer on tap in a pub, when I never said it. What I did say, and where I think you are getting this from is this.
"All bottles and cans show contents in metric. However the term pint is still used when ordering a beer on tap. The old imperial measurements of a pint were 568 ml's per pint. A metric pint is 500 ml's. A U.S. liquid pint is 473 ml's. "
I can see how you might think that. However, when I was stating the sizes about pints, I was listing the sizes you can get in bottles and cans as well as on tap and alluding to the fact that when you order a pint you may not get the legal pint. Again, whether you like it or not 500 ml's is a metric pint. After some more digging I found that is is used in some parts of Quebec.The term exists plain and simple. Your point about no one ordering a metric point isn't an argument, since I never said people order in metric pints. I just responded to your remark challenging that the term metric pint doesn't exist, when the term does exist. If it's just my imagination that this term exists, then many others are imagining the same thing. I truly believe that you are having some sort of mental block or truly are not understanding my points. I don't know what else I can say to someone who calls the term metric pint imaginary or says it doesn't exist when it does exist. The can be NO argument that it does not. So if anyone is imagining things...
One more piece of evidence. This is from conversioncentre.net

Conversion Center Search a unit
Search
Home About FAQ Contact
Categories : angle - area - bandwidth - bits and bytes - currency and market quotes - force - frequency and angular frequency - length - mass - numerals - prefix - speed - temperature - time - volume
Convert pinte (France Canada 500ml) to pint (metric)
Convert
Selected category : volume.
Definition and details for pinte (France Canada 500ml) :
In some regions of France and French Canada, "une pinte" is a unit of volume equal to the informal metric pint (500ml). This unit is used to describe a 500 ml glass of beer.
Definition and details for pint (metric) :
The metric pint is an informal metric unit of volume equal to 500 ml.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-25-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out why you keep insisting that I am saying that a metric pint is what you get when ordering a beer on tap in a pub, when I never said it. What I did say, and where I think you are getting this from is this.
"All bottles and cans show contents in metric. However the term pint is still used when ordering a beer on tap. The old imperial measurements of a pint were 568 ml's per pint. A metric pint is 500 ml's. A U.S. liquid pint is 473 ml's. "
I can see how you might think that. However, when I was stating the sizes about pints, I was listing the sizes you can get in bottles and cans as well as on tap and alluding to the fact that when you order a pint you may not get the legal pint. Again, whether you like it or not 500 ml's is a metric pint. After some more digging I found that is is used in some parts of Quebec.The term exists plain and simple. Your point about no one ordering a metric point isn't an argument, since I never said people order in metric pints. I just responded to your remark challenging that the term metric pint doesn't exist, when the term does exist. If it's just my imagination that this term exists, then many others are imagining the same thing. I truly believe that you are having some sort of mental block or truly are not understanding my points. I don't know what else I can say to someone who calls the term metric pint imaginary or says it doesn't exist when it does exist. The can be NO argument that it does not. So if anyone is imagining things...
One more piece of evidence. This is from conversioncentre.net

Conversion Center Search a unit
Search
Home About FAQ Contact
Categories : angle - area - bandwidth - bits and bytes - currency and market quotes - force - frequency and angular frequency - length - mass - numerals - prefix - speed - temperature - time - volume
Convert pinte (France Canada 500ml) to pint (metric)
Convert
Selected category : volume.
Definition and details for pinte (France Canada 500ml) :
In some regions of France and French Canada, "une pinte" is a unit of volume equal to the informal metric pint (500ml). This unit is used to describe a 500 ml glass of beer.
Definition and details for pint (metric) :
The metric pint is an informal metric unit of volume equal to 500 ml.
You should go walk an Imperial kilometre and reflect on all of this. Then when you're finished your walk, you should stop in a local pub and order a metric pint, or a half-litre as the rest of the world calls it, of beer and soak it all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada