Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times

Advertisements

Okay, we're planning to move out of Montreal and have narrowed down to these locations.

We need-
1. Low cost of living (we're simple people and don't want to spend much on a mortgage, had enough of that in Vancouver thanks), $250k MAX for a 3+ bedroom house (no condo, no townhouse)

2. Short commute time into the city (Fredericton or Halifax), 30 minutes or less each way, the lesser the better.

3. Good quality school districts, prefer Anglophone but option for French immersion for one of our kids is really important. One child will not be doing immersion.

4. Decent proximity to some sort of recreation (ocean, mountains, lakes, trails, whatever)

Halifax looks more expensive than Fredericton, is housing reasonable? Which neighbourhoods of each city would you recommend? I really need a lot of research as my husband is buying without me being present (I have to stay back with the kids).

(Jobs are not a concern)

Last edited by aliss2; 11-30-2013 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
1. Low cost of living (we're simple people and don't want to spend much on a mortgage, had enough of that in Vancouver thanks), $250k MAX for a 3+ bedroom house (no condo, no townhouse)
I'm biased towards Halifax as that's where I was born and raised. But NB definitely has more of a French presence, if that is something that interests you.

Quote:
2. Short commute time into the city (Fredericton or Halifax), 30 minutes or less each way, the lesser the better.
There are some nice quiet bedroom communities outside Halifax, such as Sackville, Bedford, Waverly, Fall River, and even some parts of (gasp!) Dartmouth. Most commutes into the city are 30 mins or less by car, but transit options might be limited in certain areas.

Quote:
3. Good quality school districts, prefer Anglophone but option for French immersion for one of our kids is really important. One child will not be doing immersion.
Can't help much with school stuff, but there are several immersion schools in and around Halifax.

Quote:
4. Decent proximity to some sort of recreation (ocean, mountains, lakes, trails, whatever)
Halifax has all of these. In abundance. I'm sure Fredericton does, too.

Quote:
Halifax looks more expensive than Fredericton, is housing reasonable? Which neighbourhoods of each city would you recommend? I really need a lot of research as my husband is buying without me being present (I have to stay back with the kids).
Housing in Halifax is currently overpriced but the market has stalled. If you can wait a bit, prices will come down, but you also might be able to snipe a few sellers who have been sitting on the market for a long time.

Sign up at Nova Scotia Real Estate and MLS Listings - ViewPoint.ca and you can view the listing details for all NS properties. You can see how long it has been on the market, tax estimates, how many times it has been re-listed/expired, and other useful bits of info. AFAIK, no other province allows the consumer to access this data without an agent.

NB real estate is cheaper, but then you would have to live in NB.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:30 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times
Quote:
nice quiet bedroom communities outside Halifax, such as Sackville, Bedford, Waverly, Fall River, and even some parts of (gasp!) Dartmouth.
Also Upper Tantallon, Hammonds Plains, communities along the road to the airport (Enfield)...

At first sight, the real estate listings will seem out of your range, as the aggressive marketing will make it seem, but in reality $250K is plenty enough to buy a decent house. NS has a bit of the "edge of the world" feeling, a country away from thoroughfares, and the deals can always be made - just because of the limited number of buyers. So it would be worthwhile to rent an apartment for a few months while you are looking. Also working with an agent (I met only decent folks) who would dig any info.

There are "early immersion" and "late immersion" (starting in 7th grade) schools so be careful which one you are choosing. Here are the early French immersion elementary schools:

Early French Immersion
French Programs Information

I was a bit disappointed though with the dearth of resources for kids with special needs. But then I don't know about NB. Above all, access to doctors will be MUCH easier than in Montreal (it's crazy here).

Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I suggest, for no other reason than I can, the Lunenburg are of Nova Scotia. Judging by the scenery in the background of the SiFi show "Haven" filmed in Lunenburg vicinity it seems to be a very attractive area on the south coast of the island. I plan to visit the region in the next couple of years.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest, for no other reason than I can, the Lunenburg are of Nova Scotia. Judging by the scenery in the background of the SiFi show "Haven" filmed in Lunenburg vicinity it seems to be a very attractive area on the south coast of the island. I plan to visit the region in the next couple of years.
Island?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Appreciate the replies but we've chosen Alberta instead. Thanks! Hopefuflly the advice can help someone else too.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,796 times
Probably a wise choice. The Maritimes are beautiful, but they have significant challenges.

Best of luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada