Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,871,953 times

Advertisements

How "favourably" does this menu from the Kooky Canuck compare with what is offered "up there" in price?

Kooky Canuck Menu Memphis TN | Gayot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM

26,928 posts, read 38,250,099 times
There are only a few things on there that you can't basically find in any similar American restaurant. I am thinking mostly of poutine and perogies. It also odd that they would not have Montreal-style smoked meat on the menu.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are only a few things on there that you can't basically find in any similar American restaurant. I am thinking mostly of poutine and perogies. It also odd that they would not have Montreal-style smoked meat on the menu.
Is Kooky Canuck's menu much different from that of many French Canadian restaurants?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,469,412 times
I like the name and they have Halifax style donairs on there, So i'm impressed. Donairs are hard to find outside of the Maritimes with original Halifax donair sauce.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is Kooky Canuck's menu much different from that of many French Canadian restaurants?
Not that different.

Here is the menu in French from a greasy spoon chain:

Menu*- Restaurants La Belle Province

Viande fumée = smoked meat

Of course snack food does not sum up Quebec cuisine, but it gives you an idea of the junk food staples.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Here is the menu from mid-range restaurant near my place:

http://restorumeur.ca/images/menu/Menu_souper_EN.pdf

And from the classic Québécois family restaurant chain:

Dining room

Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM

484 posts, read 1,291,103 times
The majorty of that menu is not unique to Canada or even Canadian. Fried green tomatoes? Catfish? come on. Yes I know there aren't that many food dishes that are unique to Canada compared to other countries but they could make something up like a BC salmon burger topped with a crispy Canadian bacon pieces smothered in an apple maple syrup jam. That sounds more Canadian than buffalo tenders.

And $5.99 for an nanaimo bar? Geez Louise

Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM

I like looking at old menus. Here is from from a Toronto restaurant. Certainly nothing unfamiliar to an American.

The Old Mill Restaurant Menu Toronto Canada 1950's - bidStart (item 17031874 in Collectibles & Ephemera... Menus)

Before Quebec began enforcing use of the French language, were there some restaurants that did not offer a French-language menu?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,672,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How "favourably" does this menu from the Kooky Canuck compare with what is offered "up there" in price?

Kooky Canuck Menu Memphis TN | Gayot
It is definitely not a typical Canadian diner menu. You could probably find similar things across the country, but I think if I was handed this menu in Canada, I would probably think something was up.
The " challenges " is something I've never seen here in B.C. not to say there isn't probably a few places across Canada that may offer that, but I've never seen it.

Catfish…no. Maybe in a specialty restaurant ? The Kooky Tenders with BBQ ranch? Ranch is mainly a salad dressing and I've never heard of BBQ ranch.

Fried Green Tomatoes. Again a few places may serve it in specialty places since the book and movie was quite well known. However it is not common.

I laughed when they referenced Poutine as being from the " backwoods of Quebec "

You also wouldn't see Canadian Bacon on a menu, it would simply be back bacon. ( of course now someone will produce a Canadian diner menu where they do call it Canadian bacon, but that would be an oddity in Canada, at least in B.C. )

Butter tart in a skillet? Yikes that is one big butter tart…and no nuts or raisins…hmmmm.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here is the menu from mid-range restaurant near my place:

http://restorumeur.ca/images/menu/Menu_souper_EN.pdf

[/url]
Is it unusual to find a bilingual menu in Quebec?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada