Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Or maybe instead of 'Anglo' I should say English-speaking Canadians of any ancestry.

By French Canadian women I mean those that speak French as their primary language, whether their ancestors came from Louisiana, Brittany, Algeria, Haiti or Lebanon.

Are there any generalities? I've heard that women in Montreal are very beautiful, on the whole, they dress well.etc. Would you say they share a lot of things with the French that other Canadian women lack aside from the obvious, language.etc? Do they say, take more care of their appearance?

Have you found them more or less approachable, chilled out, easier/harder to get to know/date.etc. Do you find Quebec a less reserved place than BC and Ontario?

Do Quebecois in general seem a lot more European than other Canadians?

In what sense are they very Canadian and not French at all?

I'm genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Living in Montreal for 40 years i dont see much difference in the women,they come in all flavors,in fact unless you talk to them you have no idea what language they speak.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM

235 posts, read 837,267 times
Montrealers in general are more fashion-conscious, that also goes for the men, though.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Montrealers in general are more fashion-conscious, that also goes for the men, though.
Not all French Canadians are Montrealers, there are other cities in Quebec and there are rural areas and their fashions differ somewhat. There is something to the notion that French Canadian women put in a bit more effort on average into their appearance, I would say.

As for Jambo, I gotta disagree that there's no difference, although you might not see it because we are Anglo Montrealers and English people here are culturally influenced by other Quebeckers and so we don't see a big difference between Anglophone and Francophone women in our city (although there's still a little bit of a difference). Women from the ROC are different, however. Less comfortable when it comes to the topic of sexuality. Less laid back. I mean, there are cultural tendancies but it's not super easy to quantify them into broad strokes and categories.

French Canadians are also pretty different from people from France, just in general. They're rather distinct cultures, somewhat like the difference between people in England and New England.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As for Jambo, I gotta disagree that there's no difference, although you might not see it because we are Anglo Montrealers and English people here are culturally influenced by other Quebeckers and so we don't see a big difference between Anglophone and Francophone women in our city
You're pretty good if you can look at two women on the streets of Montreal and say she's French and she's English..

Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,934 times
Quote:
Are there any generalities? I've heard that women in Montreal are very beautiful, on the whole, they dress well.etc. Would you say they share a lot of things with the French that other Canadian women lack aside from the obvious, language.etc? Do they say, take more care of their appearance?

Have you found them more or less approachable, chilled out, easier/harder to get to know/date.etc. Do you find Quebec a less reserved place than BC and Ontario?

Do Quebecois in general seem a lot more European than other Canadians?

In what sense are they very Canadian and not French at all?

I'm genuinely curious.
The Canadian anglo-women smell of roses, while their french-cousines, lavender.

The latter get to keep their family names (surnames) after their marriage, while the former turn into Mrs Jones or Mrs Smith.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 41,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
The Canadian anglo-women smell of roses, while their french-cousines, lavender.

The latter get to keep their family names (surnames) after their marriage, while the former turn into Mrs Jones or Mrs Smith.
Sometime ago I read Quebec has the highest divorce rate in Canada - may be unrelated or may be not...

Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not all French Canadians are Montrealers, there are other cities in Quebec and there are rural areas and their fashions differ somewhat. There is something to the notion that French Canadian women put in a bit more effort on average into their appearance, I would say.

As for Jambo, I gotta disagree that there's no difference, although you might not see it because we are Anglo Montrealers and English people here are culturally influenced by other Quebeckers and so we don't see a big difference between Anglophone and Francophone women in our city (although there's still a little bit of a difference). Women from the ROC are different, however. Less comfortable when it comes to the topic of sexuality. Less laid back. I mean, there are cultural tendancies but it's not super easy to quantify them into broad strokes and categories.

French Canadians are also pretty different from people from France, just in general. They're rather distinct cultures, somewhat like the difference between people in England and New England.
Agree with this.

A few other points:

Even outside Montreal in smaller cities and towns there is a difference in the way people dress, and if you go to a restaurant for Sunday brunch or Saturday night dinner you will find a higher percentage of people dressed smartly (not always suits, but at least dress pants and shoes on men for example) than elsewhere on the continent.

When it comes to Montreal, I find a lot of the anglo women there are affected by the francophone environment by osmosis and there is not a huge difference in the way they dress. Women who are seen in Montreal who dress like the bad stereotypes some have of North American women would usually be labelled as tourists by the locals (rightly or wrongly).

Similarly, with few exceptions most francophones outside Quebec don't generally dress like people in Montreal or in Quebec and it's hard to pick out Franco-Ontarians in Sudbury or Timmins from local anglos.

The one true exception in Canada is Ottawa-Gatineau where you have large areas of relatively typical Québécois and relatively typical Ontarioan environments in the same metro. So I can sit in the Rideau Centre in downtown Ottawa and easily spot francophones and anglophones by the way they dress. Not everyone of course - a majority of people are dressed neutrally, but good chunks do wear stuff only anglophones or only francophones would wear.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or maybe instead of 'Anglo' I should say English-speaking Canadians of any ancestry.

By French Canadian women I mean those that speak French as their primary language, whether their ancestors came from Louisiana, Brittany, Algeria, Haiti or Lebanon.

Are there any generalities?
Yes, French Canadian have beautiful complexions, and all dress extremely classy, and have accents to die for.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM

168 posts, read 244,133 times
Quebecers/French Canadians are way more fashionable than rest of North Americans just like Europeans.... Both men and women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada