Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you apparently know nothing about the Philippines. Many of them have very anglo names. A previous Phillipino coworker's birth name was Virginia XXXX (a last name that is very English).
Why do you think a Philippina can't have the name "Jane Williams"?
I agree I have never known the difference; now India that another subject altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
you apparently know nothing about the Philippines. Many of them have very anglo names. A previous Phillipino coworker's birth name was Virginia XXXX (a last name that is very English).
Why do you think a Philippina can't have the name "Jane Williams"?
The most common surnames are Spanish or Portuguese. However having dealt with many over the phone I find them to be extremely pleasant and wanting to help. Sometimes, well a lot of the times, they said they would do something but nothing happened. They didn't want to disappoint.

The only other off shore workers that did this more often were the ones I dealt with in India. " Yes sir, no problem. It will be done. " and it wouldn't.

The efficiency of my office plummeted. Where it use to take one person to get some actions done, it now took six or seven phone calls and sometimes a few days.

It got so bad, that some of these jobs, not all, by a long shot, have come back.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:20 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Companies like banks and the major telephone companies have off shored thousands of jobs when they were doing very well. The millions saved went ??? Did your bill go down? Has serviced improved? Do you find yourself talking with 4 or 5 customer service people instead of 1 after navigating push 1 push 2 hell for 25 minutes before waiting another 30?
It is a stretch to say all the upside goes to the managers and executives. However, if you think the banks are making excessive profits, buy some of their shares and become a (small) owner of them.

Globalisation of course has its drawback, but don't forget the upside. Do you really think Canadians will be better off being in a closed economy? You can't pick up the benefit without suffering some of the negative consequences (loss of low skilled jobs). What people should do is to step up the games and make themselves more valuable, more employable. If one can do nothing except to answer phones and take restaurant orders, I am not sure he really deserves a high quality of life.

No one should feel so entitled about anything. Just because you are lucky enough to be born in Canada instead of the Philippines you are automatically entitled to make 5X the salary and far better quality of life with the same skill sets? Think about it. I am glad we can help those poor countries to have better life in developing countries.

You probably would say "well, life is not fair anyway, why should I care about the Philippines, I only care about Canadians". Well, yes, it is NOT fair and use the same logic when large companies outsource. You can't selectively use such logic whenever it suits you.

Canada has one of the best and most affordable education system in the world. And if one still have no skills other than waiting tables and answering calls, that's really his/her own problem. Don't blame big banks.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
It is a stretch to say all the upside goes to the managers and executives. However, if you think the banks are making excessive profits, buy some of their shares and become a (small) owner of them.

Globalisation of course has its drawback, but don't forget the upside. Do you really think Canadians will be better off being in a closed economy? You can't pick up the benefit without suffering some of the negative consequences (loss of low skilled jobs). What people should do is to step up the games and make themselves more valuable, more employable. If one can do nothing except to answer phones and take restaurant orders, I am not sure he really deserves a high quality of life.

No one should feel so entitled about anything. Just because you are lucky enough to be born in Canada instead of the Philippines you are automatically entitled to make 5X the salary and far better quality of life with the same skill sets? Think about it. I am glad we can help those poor countries to have better life in developing countries.

You probably would say "well, life is not fair anyway, why should I care about the Philippines, I only care about Canadians". Well, yes, it is NOT fair and use the same logic when large companies outsource. You can't selectively use such logic whenever it suits you.

Canada has one of the best and most affordable education system in the world. And if one still have no skills other than waiting tables and answering calls, that's really his/her own problem. Don't blame big banks.
Of course I don't believe in a closed economy, I'm talking about balance.
The media in regards to outsourcing has only focused on call centre jobs and actually using the term to cover more than just what most people think of as a call centre jobs. I understand why, it's the images of rows upon rows of people in India or Manila doing a portion of what the job was in Canada. The jobs at my company were not call centre jobs but tech and engineering jobs, not just people answering phones, which is not as simple as you make it sound. They aren't all telemarketers. They had outside people come in, look at a job they didn't understand, take it apart and put back together in several pieces overseas. Three people to do what one person did in Canada. They not only save on wages, but benefits, holiday time and don't have to go with Canada's labour standards. Ethical isn't it?
This from a company that has no overseas customers. All money made is made within Canada.

As for luck to be born in Canada…red herring. Companies are not charities. Do I care about the welfare of others in poorer countries? Of course, most people do. Do I think the standards of my country should be lowered to a point where our children can't find work in a chosen field because the jobs are either gone or pay so low they work two jobs to keep afloat in the name of corporate profit? No.
Anyway this is not about entitlement, but fair wages, good benefits for a job well done.

As for higher education, yes it is cheaper compared to the U.S. most likely due to funding I'm assuming. Regardless it is still not affordable to everyone and even in countries where university is free, you are still going to have and need people to work other jobs. It's the increasing wage disparity that is the issue and yes it will not just be their problem but your problem Poverty costs us in medical costs such as drug abuse and alcoholism. It also breeds crime, another huge expense. Doesn't it make sense as a first world society to prevent these issue by having living wages?

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-16-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,330 times
I wish SC great success as it is one of my favorite companies. Hope the new CEO, a former Marine, could get everything under control shortly with his military discipline. They seem to be struggling in the face of great competition from Target, etc. The market is getting a bit cramped with so many new comers. It hadn't been great since they took over Eaton. Many were converted back to Sears shortly while few were closed down altogether. Hope they'd put all that behind them soon.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
I wish SC great success as it is one of my favorite companies. Hope the new CEO, a former Marine, could get everything under control shortly with his military discipline. They seem to be struggling in the face of great competition from Target, etc. The market is getting a bit cramped with so many new comers. It hadn't been great since they took over Eaton. Many were converted back to Sears shortly while few were closed down altogether. Hope they'd put all that behind them soon.
I also like Sears and miss our downtown store. Target, Walmart and Sears are all suffering. Target's entry into Canada has been less than stellar.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Sad to see yet more people lose their jobs to outsourcing.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Target's entry into Canada has been less than stellar.
We had a large Zellers store in our neighborhood that got taken over by Target,first thing Target did was tear down the old Zellers store and build a new Target store that looks exactly the same as the old Zellers store,i went in the store over Christmas and discovered the inside as well was exactly the same as the old Zellers store makes me wonder why Target went through all the time and expense to give the shopper the exact same store ? the only difference i can see is Target signs instead of Zellers signs, If Target is in the habit of wasting money i doubt they'll be around for too long.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Target seems to follow a suburban focused approach in Canada. There is no store in any urban area in Toronto, so I haven't had the pleasure to shop any of their stores so far. The closest stores are at Danforth/Vic Park and Thorncliff Park.

I used to like to shop at Target. I am hoping they will buy up the World's Biggest Book Store and turn it into a target flagship store. It will have great business considering how many highrise condos are there near the Church/Yonge/Bay corridor.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Target seems to follow a suburban focused approach in Canada. There is no store in any urban area in Toronto, so I haven't had the pleasure to shop any of their stores so far. The closest stores are at Danforth/Vic Park and Thorncliff Park.

I used to like to shop at Target. I am hoping they will buy up the World's Biggest Book Store and turn it into a target flagship store. It will have great business considering how many highrise condos are there near the Church/Yonge/Bay corridor.
The people I know that have been to Target here in BC say that their merchandise is lower quality than Zeller's. They also say that it's not the same as Target in the U.S.
I have only been to Target in the U.S. and thought most of the stuff was crap, except for name brand stuff like Coleman camping equipment, which was selling for the same price that I could get in Vancouver at the Army and Navy department store.
To me Target is competing with Canadian Tire, except in clothing.

Sears really doesn't belong in the same category as Target and Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada