Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 PM

142 posts, read 220,322 times

Advertisements

- No one can be denied coverage for a "pre-existing condition" or get dropped because of a sudden illness no matter what.

- No mounting fees, ridiculous insurance premiums or co-pays.

- Every Canadian citizen has access to healthcare regardless of economic status, race or creed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,528,365 times
I wouldn't say it's objectively better. Rather, it's different. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
- No one can be denied coverage for a "pre-existing condition" or get dropped because of a sudden illness no matter what.

- Every Canadian citizen has access to healthcare regardless of economic status, race or creed.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,542 times
Quote:

But from a western perspective generally, doesn't that just make Canadian health care "average" or "typical"?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
The Canadian system is certainly a lot simpler if we are comparing it to the American system, basically if your are Canadian or a legal resident and you are still breathing you are covered,
The American system is somewhat more complex.
In 2010, 26,100 people died because they had no health insurance

Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
But from a western perspective generally, doesn't that just make Canadian health care "average" or "typical"?
Did you mean from an American perspective?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did you mean from an American perspective?
No, western generally, as in North America, Europe, Australia or New Zealand.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,425,956 times
Do we really need another one of these threads maxxie?? This is the second one you have opened and you are doing the exact same thing you complained the Americans were doing. Grow up.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
This is a Facebook message from a Canadian on a page about achilles tendon surgeries (note - if your Achilles tendon is jacked up, YOU'RE jacked up because you can barely walk, if at all):

Quote:
depending on the surgery. Heaven forbid you need a hip replacement in my area... could be a few years wait. I waited 7 months for my last Achilles Tendon surgery.... and that was WITH being on the cancellation list and being bumped ahead almost 7 weeks. I dont think he will put me to the bottom of the list this time since I was technucally supposed to already have the other surgery.... at least I hope. My haglunds deformity has def gotten worse.
I live in Texas. I have a partially torn achilles tendon. The ONLY reason my surgery was bumped out about three weeks was because of my husband's work schedule. This is my second AT surgery. The first one was done ten days after my first appointment.

A running theme on the FB page is frustration from Canadians about their long wait times for the needed treatments, their lack of comprehensive physical therapy after surgery, and the techniques which, when compared with the current experiences of Americans on the page, are obviously outdated. Several of them have literally begged their doctors to allow them to receive treatment in the US but they have not been allowed to do so (unless, of course, they pay out of their own pocket).

I'm sure there are some advantages and negatives in both systems. I'm just surprised at how negative the Canadians are on this particular FB page about this particular injury and treatment - I honestly did expect them to be at least on par with what the Americans are experiencing.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM

107 posts, read 202,019 times
Quote:

You started another thread?

Still trying to convince yourself the Canadian way is the only way!

That's why every Canadian province is looking at expanding HCS with private service providers, regardless of what the NDPeeons think.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Maxie; Keep your eyes and ears open over the next ten years or so as our system, across the board, has reached a position of questionable sustainability without some major adjustments being made to funding.

We desperately need some things to be addressed with different priorities than currently being assigned our healthcare portfolio. When surveys are conducted that reveal we are well over 80% satisfaction with a Universal system; that in itself may have been used by our Fed's to wash their hands of improvements but they and we need to put that into perspective.

We are inundated on a daily basis with the cluster-flop of a system they've been floundering with for the last couple of decades below us and that may skew our survey answers. We may be giving a collective shudder and putting an "X" in the box indicating 'satisfaction' because the alternative, as displayed for all to see, is unthinkable.

Canadians are going to have to collectively send notice to Ottawa that our Healthcare needs some study time with a commitment to improvements not the status-quo. Universality need not mean mediocre.

We need some new military equipment to adequately patrol our northern regions in the future. We need a pipeline to get the crude moving east and west to terminus, either to upgrading facilities or off loading so selling on a world market without heavy discounting as applied by the U.S. with their current control/manipulation of the Petro-Dollar. We need major infrastructure investment in keeping with a renewal of our manufacturing capabilities.

Healthcare being just one, although of the highest priority, item in the bag needing money thrown at it at a time when we are competing on a table tilted heavily towards those nations with cheap labour pools and Universities putting out more graduates per year than we have working citizens. Our government is trying desperately to be all things to all people and they will fail continually until they realize courting votes with promises not kept no longer gives them a seat at that table.

Our healthcare will remain on a par with the other leading examples only so long as it continues to get the devotion and philosophical 'no one left out' attention from all Canadians it required to inaugurate it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada