Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times

Advertisements

Ontario just keeps on piling on the restrictions and taxes, so that would be my vote. The government seems bent on denying us the right to choose how we live our lives and to what extent we can express our opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM

218 posts, read 510,021 times
BC-- a beta test for a brave new world in the West.

Here's one of the most innocent examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2uMRYxzUs

Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quebec by a longshot.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
BC-- a beta test for a brave new world in the West.

Here's one of the most innocent examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2uMRYxzUs
So I guess regulations requiring wheelchair accessibility is " Nanny State " as well?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec by a longshot.
I'll second that..

Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec by a longshot.
Agree, and probably followed by the Maritimes, and followed by BC and Ontario.

Honestly all you need to look at is the taxes.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM

218 posts, read 510,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Agree, and probably followed by the Maritimes, and followed by BC and Ontario.

Honestly all you need to look at is the taxes.
I don't relate to this definition, though what is "the nanniest" is not well defined in this topic. OP, for instance, refers to taxes and regulations, anybody else could put different weights on various things.

Singapore has low taxes and has a nanny state reputation, even has own entry in wiki: Nanny state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I put BC first, especially places like Vancouver and Victoria because I see it as a trial ball, a test for a direction those in power would ideally want to take society with the rest of its cities and people in, it's on the edge.

All the "liberal" tendencies manifest themselves in Vancouver area and BC like nowhere else, while Vancouver is clearly getting attention and thumbs up from the elites for its "Vancouverisms" and lifestyle, and regularly ending up on the top cities to live lists made by organizations with interesting affiliations and sources of money.

Quebec, on the other hand, is a failed model nobody cares about now-- you can't sell it as trendy to try to turn every other city, province and state in North America into Quebec.

BC's model is currently in the minds of nanny state planners because of it's success-- ability to be a nanny state and appear attractive at the same time (somewhat similar to Singapore in this sense) while allowing advancing nanny state ideas further, and really testing its limits in the Western World.

Look carefully what is allowed in BC now and what the attitudes are-- and I mean putting various "-isms" before anything else. Look what's the cultural state there and quality of the communities, senseless restrictions, regulations and bylaws (refer to door knob example above). There are not a lot of places in the West where society and people are so fragmented and being transformed by the forceful trends into something new with such ease and at a such rate.

That's why I consider BC the nanniest-- it's the place allowing to implement and advance nanny state ideas by modern statist thinkers with the least amount of resistance, and one of the prominent testing grounds now.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
I don't relate to this definition, though what is "the nanniest" is not well defined in this topic. OP, for instance, refers to taxes and regulations, anybody else could put different weights on various things.

Singapore has low taxes and has a nanny state reputation, even has own entry in wiki: Nanny state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I put BC first, especially places like Vancouver and Victoria because I see it as a trial ball, a test for a direction those in power would ideally want to take society with the rest of its cities and people in, it's on the edge.

All the "liberal" tendencies manifest themselves in Vancouver area and BC like nowhere else, while Vancouver is clearly getting attention and thumbs up from the elites for its "Vancouverisms" and lifestyle, and regularly ending up on the top cities to live lists made by organizations with interesting affiliations and sources of money.

Quebec, on the other hand, is a failed model nobody cares about now-- you can't sell it as trendy to try to turn every other city, province and state in North America into Quebec.

BC's model is currently in the minds of nanny state planners because of it's success-- ability to be a nanny state and appear attractive at the same time (somewhat similar to Singapore in this sense) while allowing advancing nanny state ideas further, and really testing its limits in the Western World.

Look carefully what is allowed in BC now and what the attitudes are-- and I mean putting various "-isms" before anything else. Look what's the cultural state there and quality of the communities, senseless restrictions, regulations and bylaws (refer to door knob example above). There are not a lot of places in the West where society and people are so fragmented and being transformed by the forceful trends into something new with such ease and at a such rate.

That's why I consider BC the nanniest-- it's the place allowing to implement and advance nanny state ideas by modern statist thinkers with the least amount of resistance, and one of the prominent testing grounds now.
BC is quite divided. The typical person living in Fort St. John, Cranbrook, or even Kelowna can't stand the government regulations like they have Vancouver and like they keep getting from Victoria. The only reason Vancouver can afford to live so high off the hog is that they milk the interior of its wealth. Interestingly, they lobby hard to bite the hand that feeds them by protesting mining, forestry, and oil & gas projects. Even the hippie places on the Island, Central Coast and the West Kootenays aren't big fans of the nanny state outside of environmental regulations.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
BC is quite divided. The typical person living in Fort St. John, Cranbrook, or even Kelowna can't stand the government regulations like they have Vancouver and like they keep getting from Victoria. The only reason Vancouver can afford to live so high off the hog is that they milk the interior of its wealth. Interestingly, they lobby hard to bite the hand that feeds them by protesting mining, forestry, and oil & gas projects. Even the hippie places on the Island, Central Coast and the West Kootenays aren't big fans of the nanny state outside of environmental regulations.
Can you give details? What regulations exactly does Vancouver have the people in the rest of the province should even care about?

Milk the interior? Explain.

Most of the protests seem to happen by First Nations in the area the mining is being proposed.

Forestry protests seem to happen when companies want to forest old growth, or destroy places like Clayoquot.
Sounds good to me.

Oil and gas. Again people in the Vancouver area are protesting an unfair process that the Cons have set up.
They also don't want to risk destroying the lucrative tourist industry that Vancouver has by having tanker traffic increase way above what it is today.

People seem to throw around this term " nanny state " loosely.

How is BC a " nanny state " if ALL the things in your post are about people PROTESTING against the government?

It seems it's you who are proposing people to not protest, take what the government tells them is good and to shut up about it.

Do you see the irony now?

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-29-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
I never said BC was a nanny state, so I don't need to give examples. I don't like the term, but I will give an example anyway. Here in Vernon, Interior Health (a branch of the government) demanded that the city spend 70 million dollars upgrading their water treatment plant to improve the quality of the water even though engineers and scientists say that the current treatment plant is sufficient (the miltimillion dollar plant is only 4 or 5 years old). The city told them they wouldn't do it, and if Interior Health really wants it done, they pay for it.

What I am saying that BC is very much divided philosphically. This is because the wealth is largely generated in the oil and gas fields, and largely spend on the south coast. A lot of people on the Lower Mainland protest interior projects like Prosperity and the LNG. The interior folks are largely in favour of Prosperity, as was the BC government, even though it got nixed by the feds twice now.

In terms of the regulator divide between the south coast and the rest of the province, we can look at gun control as an example. People on the coast are far more supportive of it than those in the interior. I would say that a typical NDP supporter in Kamloops dislikes the gun registry more than a typical conservative voter in Vancouver. This is why the long time former NDP MLA from Kamloops was against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada