Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I agree with this 100% ...

I know that people in the Windsor-Detroit area don't cross border shop for milk and eggs. Maybe a few do that .... but they are just idiots ...
You can get a dozen eggs at No Frills or Food basics generally between 1.99 - 2.34... why the heck would you cross the border to get a dozen eggs for what 1.89 if yer lucky lol... No name 2Litre lemonade for 99 cents is the BEST btw..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 05:19 PM

342 posts, read 511,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My experiences pretty much mirror this to a "t". I have almost always found a Canadian store equivalent where I can buy cheaper clothes/shoes etc... If I have to buy a Tommy Hilfiger sweater sure its cheaper at a Premium outlet mall in the U.S but most of my clothes I buy are from Canadian retailers importing clothes directly from Asia (pretty cheap) or when I actually travel internationally which i do often I buy then (nothing beats buying a suit in Thailand lol) .. Even groceries I shop for at No frills and I save tons of money. One thing about milk... Is 3.99 expensive for 4 litres of milk in either the U.S or Canada? I pay that amount for 4 litres in bags. Even a loaf of white bread is easy to find for a buck at dollarama for instance. I agree Gas and alcohol is def cheaper in the U.S for sure.. Cigs too but I don't smoke so don't care.

Now I do live in Toronto (oodles of retailers and stores with international importers so there's tons o competition here) and i've made it my mission to find the most value for the goods I get here.. Bargains are absolutely to be found that can lower C.O.L substantially. Yer right though, by the time I factor in travelling expenses to get to Buffalo and potentially hotel costs there isn't that much of an incentive for me to shop in the U.S.. The few times I do go - I will stock up on items that I do find cheaper there.. There is an brand of instant mashed potatoes I like in the U.S I can't get here.. I can get another No name brand as cheaply here but it isn't as good.
Wow. I highly suggest you try living in the US and it will quickly become clear how badly you are trying to sweep this under the rug. American goods are usually 30-50% cheaper. I know because I live here now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsuWOGbYag

Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Wow. I highly suggest you try living in the US and it will quickly become clear how badly you are trying to sweep this under the rug. American goods are usually 30-50% cheaper. I know because I live here now.
What nonsense. I live in the US too and don't agree with your assessment.

Sure Kalamazoo, MI maybe much cheaper than Vancouver, BC. But I don't see how a place like Chicago is 30-50% cheaper than Toronto. I could make the argument that Toronto is cheaper by 20% for everyday items (cell phone rates, food/ number of options, etc).

Old 01-03-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsuWOGbYag
I've shopped at many U.S retailers including dollar stores and major grocery store chains like Kroger and even their more value concious one's - forgot the nam and the difference in price most certainly is not 30-50 percent.. It may be for some items if you ONLY will buy a certain brand.. Have you ever shopped at No Frills, Dollorama, Urban Planet or Food Basics and bought non name brand goods or do you insist on only U.S brands?... I don't shop at Walmart for most items including their overpriced groceries - Walmart is simply not good value and this guy is citing Walmart. Literally I just bought 12 boxes of K.D at No Frills for 6.99 - thats 58 cents CAD per box of KD. Cigs and alchohol are about 30 percent more expensive in Canada due to Sin tax... Gas too is more expensive here.. Actually taxes are generally more here in Canada but at the same time we get things in return.. There's also another expense you find in the U.S that you generally don't find in Canada and that's road tolls - not prevalent her but prevalent in the U.S - so sure we pay more for gas but one way or another 'the man' is gonna get you in either country...

I can't remember the last time I bought alcohol in either Canada or the U.S.. My friends who go to Cuba always bring me a 1 litre bottle for 3 CUC which is about 4 bucks Cad... I've got 10 bottles right now and always stock up..

Anyway This guy in your video is trying to sell a book and probably comparing only certain brands of goods without taking into account other options and other competitors - Shopping at Walmart - pffft certainly not for groceries and even clothing and furniture I can find at local stores for far far cheaper than Walmart! Chinese retailers in Toronto are where its at for buying home furnishings - the prices are unbeatable.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-03-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You can get a dozen eggs at No Frills or Food basics generally between 1.99 - 2.34... why the heck would you cross the border to get a dozen eggs for what 1.89 if yer lucky lol... No name 2Litre lemonade for 99 cents is the BEST btw..
lol .... Yes.

What people don't realize is that food in the US is cheaper than Canada by huge margins (>30%) only if you live like a hobo. That is, buy big bags of frozen "chicken" and ground "meat/beef" from cheaper stores like Walmart.

If you live in a nice part of a city (even mid sized) in the US - the options can be very expensive. Even stores one level below Whole Foods are expensive! For example, a good quality steak (say organic) is not 50% cheaper in Chicago vs Toronto. Those who think that are idiots.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I've shopped at many U.S retailers including dollar stores and major grocery store chains like Kroger and even their more value concious one's - forgot the nam and the difference in price most certainly is not 30-50 percent.. It may be for some items if you ONLY will buy a certain brand.. Have you ever shopped at No Frills, Dollorama, Urban Planet or Food Basics and bought non name brand goods or do you insist on only U.S brands?... I don't shop at Walmart for most items including their overpriced groceries - Walmart is simply not good value and this guy is citing Walmart. Literally I just bought 12 boxes of K.D at No Frills for 6.99 - thats 58 cents CAD per box of KD. Cigs and alchohol are about 30 percent more expensive in Canada due to Sin tax... Gas too is more expensive here.. Actually taxes are generally more here in Canada but at the same time we get things in return..

This guy in your video is trying to sell a book!
hahaha! Good points. These people wont believe you even if you give them specific examples. I have made the point so many times on this forum that cell phone, internet, cable are all cheaper in Toronto vs most of US now. Yet to hear a counter argument.

Heck .. I live in the US and I am paying more for everything except alcohol and few items like electronics/clothes...!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Wow, I had no idea of this. It just goes to show how insular most Americans are, if getting a passport (a one-time thing!) is a major issue for them. I wonder if they would like a taste of my life - having been born in a Third World country and now living in a small city in Canada, I have to fly to either Toronto or Vancouver each time to get a visa for just about every country I want to visit. If all the money I've spent on visas (including travel to the aforementioned cities, pay cuts for taking days off work, and the visas themselves) had been invested in stocks, I'd have made $100K by now.

Yet, despite being so sheltered, so privileged and so un-worldly, Americans look down on those who start off with a disadvantage but manage to make things work. Amazing.

I've been to the U.S a few times but I have no desire to visit again. It's an arrogant nation full of mostly arrogant people who have not seen the world.
So, I guess you personally know all 320 million American people to say something like that. I have never in my life looked down on anyone and most of the people in my everyday circle are pretty much the same. My parents didn't raised any of us to think like that. I know many people, family and friends who started out with disadvantages and nobody looked down on them. That's part of the American way, that you can start with nothing and work your way to the top if you are willing to work hard. Maybe some American people but I'm sure the vast majority of us don't think anything like that. And I have personally seen much of the world, lived two years in japan. What a thing to say.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
hahaha! Good points. These people wont believe you even if you give them specific examples. I have made the point so many times on this forum that cell phone, internet, cable are all cheaper in Toronto vs most of US now. Yet to hear a counter argument.

Heck .. I live in the US and I am paying more for everything except alcohol and few items like electronics/clothes...!
Well i've even shown the EXACT same items at Best Buy at the Canadian stores and U.S stores and put the links to them showing EXACTLY the same price for equiv TV or Tablet yet no response to that.. I even pointed out that Best Buy Canada offers free shipping if you buy 25 dollars worth of goods - in the U.S its 35 bucks...

Anyway I refuse to buy overpriced brands in either Canada or the U.S... If you're open minded and know where to shop there are good bargains to be had here - you just have to get it out of your head that you need to buy Tommy Hilfiger or you need to buy brand X...

I'm glad you're providing a counterpoint (Canadian living in the U.S) to the same old rehashed arguments that Canadians can't provide insight onto the matter because we haven't lived in the U.S..

I haven't lived in the U.S but i've sure shopped there and in Canada and the price gaps aren't always what they are made to be portrayed as.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
This is not uncommon as many think, more common they many would believe.

Plenty of Canadians and Americans who have never been to each respective countries. It is the case with many countries around the world.

Africa, Asia, Europe(where EU residents can travel visa free), Latin America, etc.

Heck there are many people who have never been to regions within their own country, like a Canadian in Toronto has never set foot in Vancouver, an American on the West Coast who has never been on the East Coast, South or Mid West.

Take the UK, plenty of English people have never been up to Scotland or West in Wales.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Wow, I had no idea of this. It just goes to show how insular most Americans are, if getting a passport (a one-time thing!) is a major issue for them. I wonder if they would like a taste of my life - having been born in a Third World country and now living in a small city in Canada, I have to fly to either Toronto or Vancouver each time to get a visa for just about every country I want to visit. If all the money I've spent on visas (including travel to the aforementioned cities, pay cuts for taking days off work, and the visas themselves) had been invested in stocks, I'd have made $100K by now.

Yet, despite being so sheltered, so privileged and so un-worldly, Americans look down on those who start off with a disadvantage but manage to make things work. Amazing.

I've been to the U.S a few times but I have no desire to visit again. It's an arrogant nation full of mostly arrogant people who have not seen the world.
There isn't much to do in Canada that we can't do in the United States... sorry sweetie but that doesn't make us insular.... we have plenty to do in our own country, with Vegas, NYC, Yellowstone, Florida, Disneyworld, California, D.C and Hawaii (just to name a few places)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada