Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
You must be one of those Americans who think that Canada is limited to the cities of Montreal and Vancouver. Sorry, we don't want your legal drugs or republic. I'll keep my Queen, Stephen Harper, and our moral values, thank you very much.
WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM

430 posts, read 481,614 times
Buffalo area. or maybe because there are so many canadians there it looks like a part of canada itself.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 PM

110 posts, read 104,107 times
I live close to Idaho so I have interacted with them more than any other State. We hold similar political and moral beliefs. There are differences but, I'm not sure they are greater than the differences I might have with someone from eastern Canada or Quebec.

Maybe the greater differences might be found between city folks and those who in rural areas.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
LOL that's good one that is!!!!

The entire USA is infected with extreme rightwingitis. You would most likely consider our very conservative Prime Minister to be a communist.

USA- Leftwing, now that is a classic oxymoron.
I spy a politics & other controversies poster

Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Don't forget that Toronto and Montreal especially are often considered part of a larger "east coast" region of large cosmopolitan cities, and histories are quite intertwined (Americans settling in Ontario but also the immigration of about one million French Canadians to New England during the Industrial Revolution.) There are many similar ethnic communities - Irish, Jewish, Polish, Italian, and more recently Carribean, for example - with similar immigration histories and I've found its not uncommon for people to have relatives on both sides - prior to the 1960s it was quite easy to move from one country to the other. The automakers have had factories on both sides of the border for years, Montreal has a history of Jazz, and New York and Montreal have a rivalry over who makes the best bagels. Not to mention a lot of brick and rowhouses architecturally. So I think you have a different history and vibe than in the prairies or west coast, although I certainly don't mean to say the Canadian cities feel like New York, as each is unique and more low key IMO with obviously Montreal being French and Toronto having more anglo influence. I've never been to Boston so can't compare.

Last edited by docwatson; 01-12-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 06:44 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
You must be one of those Americans who think that Canada is limited to the cities of Montreal and Vancouver. Sorry, we don't want your legal drugs or republic. I'll keep my Queen, Stephen Harper, and our moral values, thank you very much.
You're aware that marijuana is illegal in 46 states, and still technically illegal in all of them on a federal level, right? Not to mention overall use of the plant is far more tolerated in Canada outside of the states where it's been legalized.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
I live close to Idaho so I have interacted with them more than any other State. We hold similar political and moral beliefs. There are differences but, I'm not sure they are greater than the differences I might have with someone from eastern Canada or Quebec.

Maybe the greater differences might be found between city folks and those who in rural areas.
I think the entire country of America is actually fundamentally very similar, even places like Alaska and Florida.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Which state echos your Canadian culture. I'm going to guess Minnesota or North Dakota? Perhaps Alaska too.
Wong question. How about some pride in Canada? Better place to start.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Which state echos your Canadian culture. I'm going to guess Minnesota or North Dakota? Perhaps Alaska too.
Uhhhh.... people from Toronto or Montreal would be pretty hard pressed to relate to places like Minnesota, North Dakota, and Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada