Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,996 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Let me briefly introduce myself: I'm originally from Turkey and in my late 20s. I studied finance in my home country and got an MBA degree from a reputable US university. I'm married to a Polish citizen and currently living in Poland. We both work in financial services and make a pretty good living with the standards of the country.

Regardless of the financial stability and my legal status in the EU, I find it hard to settle here or any other country in Europe. I previously worked in France and frankly I would take Poland over it any day. We are seeking a place which could be a home for both of us.

As legally immigrating to the US is next to impossible for us -thanks to the one of a kind immigration policy which prefers random individuals and crooks ready to game the system, over professionals with credentials-, we are considering going through the lengthy but reasonable skilled worker immigration path of Canada.

I'm wondering what I should expect from being an immigrant in Canada. Would my US education and European work experience help me get a decent white collar job? I don't plan going back to college again. However, I'm OK with living in a rural setting; I have no problem with moving to a small town with limited amenities.

Would the community let me feel like a Canadian (one thing you can not achieve in Europe even if you move to the neighboring country) after some time? I really enjoyed the welcoming and friendly people in the US (I have been to TX, CA, AZ, and CO), should I expect the same in Canada? More importantly, how would the people approach an Eastern European and a Middle Eastern (as I'm usually labeled abroad although I don't agree)?

I know I asked a bunch of questions, I don't expect answers to all of my questions, just sincere insights from locals and experienced "drifters" like myself

Cheers!

P.S. I really like the vibe of this forum, my very first post but I have been following it for a few years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowl View Post
I'm wondering what I should expect from being an immigrant in Canada. Would my US education and European work experience help me get a decent white collar job? I don't plan going back to college again. However, I'm OK with living in a rural setting; I have no problem with moving to a small town with limited amenities.
While I don't know very much about financial services in particular as this is not my field, I think that you should be able to find a decent job with experience like you describe. What kind of financial services do you work in? Perhaps it could require some adaptation if you work in a field that relies highly on knowledge of something like tax law and you don't have much knowledge the local ones, but otherwise I can't imagine in your situation in particular you would face much trouble. Financial services seems like the sort of industry with a highly mobile and international workforce, and you have a degree from the United States and many years of work experience in advanced economies with competitive labour markets so I can't really see the lack of Canadian experience being a huge impediment to finding work as it might be for, say, someone with a degree in accounting from India and no work experience. Certainly, I don't see that someone with such a qualified background as yourself would need locate to a remote rural setting, but with such a willingness to do so I, at least, feel confident you will be able to find some form of decent employment, at least as perhaps a retail banker at the very least if your skill set is for the most part not transferable (and I imagine that is not the case).

Quote:
Would the community let me feel like a Canadian (one thing you can not achieve in Europe even if you move to the neighboring country) after some time? I really enjoyed the welcoming and friendly people in the US (I have been to TX, CA, AZ, and CO), should I expect the same in Canada? More importantly, how would the people approach an Eastern European and a Middle Eastern (as I'm usually labeled abroad although I don't agree)?
The answer to that question is absolutely yes. That's one of the most obvious and defining characteristics of settler societies like Canada vs. old world ethnic nation states as one finds in Europe and Asia. I would say English Canadians in particular are marked by that characteristic, and require probably less then almost any other culture would before locals start to let you feel like "one of the gang", a true Canadian like any other. This is particularly the case in the larger centres where there's lots of ethnic diversity and newer immigrants and people with immigrant heritage, but it also exists to a great extent in the more ethnically homogenous smaller communities. I think the difference from Europe will be quite marked and noticeable in this respect. In comparing the degrees to which this exists in different groups I would rank it English Canadians > Americans > Quebecois >> Europeans generally.

How would people approach an Eastern European and a Middle Easterner? Canada is home to many millions of people of Eastern European descent, and significant immigration to Canada from Eastern Europe has been ongoing for well over a century, especially Ukrainians and Poles. As such, you will find almost no negative stereotypes or animosity towards Eastern European immigrants as a class exists here and she will be thought of as ordinary. For yourself, I think you will also find Canada comfortable and accepting. Certainly, there are some people who are uncomfortable with highly devout Muslims who make great shows of public faith, but even they could generally care less if a person is a moderately religious Muslim in such a religiously diverse society as Canada, and the fact of being ethnically middle eastern looking is basically just not really an issue at all. On the whole we're probably the Western country with the least friction between the local Muslim population and the majority, which isn't to say there's none at all, but that translates into you looking middle eastern not mattering much in terms of social implications or employment.

As for should you expect welcoming and friendly people like you met in the US south? No, the culture is actually quite different in most areas of Canada (keep in mind it is a very big and regionalised). Canadians are indeed friendly and helpful to strangers, but are more live and let live, reserved, "polite", and averse to causing potential offense. As such we are the types of people who would go out of their way to help you find your way if you were lost and asked for directions, but might not be the most gregarious in the supermarket. Compared to people in Texas we would be quieter on the whole, less demonstrative and perhaps not as easy to make "fast friends" with, but we have our own strengths as a people and are friendly in our own way as well as quite tolerant of differences. What we are is just a bit quieter in general.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 01-14-2015 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 01:49 AM

Thank you for your encouraging and insightful response! I might be a little bit hesitant due to the fact that the internet is full of rants of bitter immigrants.

I'm actually ready to take a step back in my career as long as I won't have to give it up at all. My wife wants to have a master's degree, and I want to support her without having to derail my career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Certainly, I don't see that someone with such a qualified background as yourself would need locate to a remote rural setting
As long as I don't feel isolated, I'd actually prefer living in quite suburbs or a mid-size cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
, I think you will also find Canada comfortable and accepting. Certainly, there are some people who are uncomfortable with highly devout Muslims who make great shows of public faith, but even they could generally care less if a person is a moderately religious Muslim in such a religiously diverse society as Canada, and the fact of being ethnically middle eastern looking is basically just not really an issue at all.
I'm not a religious person, nor I want/expect to see the habits of my homeland in other countries. I just don't want to be constantly reminded that ''I'm a long way from home.''

I plan to spend my vacation in Canada this year as a way of testing the water, and experience the life there first-hand!

Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowl View Post

As legally immigrating to the US is next to impossible for us -thanks to the one of a kind immigration policy which prefers random individuals and crooks ready to game the system, over professionals with credentials-, we are considering going through the lengthy but reasonable skilled worker immigration path of Canada.
You might find it equally tough to immigrate to Canada. heres some points to ponder.
Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Questions and answers

http://www.itc-canada.com/tools_and_...orkers_faq.htm

http://www.canadavisa.com/quebec-ski...orker-faq.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/preparing-...interview.html

Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 AM

I'm aware of the bureaucracy, however immigration policies of the US and Canada are way too different (apples and oranges). One might even ask if the US has an immigration policy at all, yet still tens of thousands of people immigrate every year without a streamlined and transparent process. As far as I'm concerned, Canada's system is similar to that of Australia.

That being said, I'm wondering about potential job opportunities for someone with a US degree and daily life once I arrive.

Last edited by Sowl; 01-15-2015 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
you are right Canada's immigration system is 100 times superior to America's.

I don't think you will have much trouble finding a good job in the financial services sector.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:43 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Sowl

I been an immigrant in both countries, the US and Canada.

Canada definitely offers some good opportunities in your sector, especially Toronto.

Be aware that you may run into the famous stupid excuse of "not having a Canadian working experience" to lowball your salary...do not fall for it.

United States has a totally different immigration system based mainly on specific companies needs, not tailored for independent immigrants unless you have really highly sought after skills.

It is a definitely tougher nut to crack but, on the other side, it offers significantly more opportunities than Canada.

If I were in your shoes, since you already have residence rights in the EU, I would try my chances in London before trying Canada.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-15-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are right Canada's immigration system is 100 times superior to America's.

It's different, not inferior.....it sucks for people on the outside because it is way harder to get in but if you find a way to get through you are int he end well rewarded for the effort.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:46 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sowl

I been an immigrant in both countries, the US and Canada.

Canada definitely offers some good opportunities in your sector, especially Toronto.

Be aware that you may run into the famous stupid excuse of "not having a Canadian working experience" to lowball your salary...do not fall for it.

United States has a totally different immigration system based mainly on specific companies needs, not tailored for independent immigrants unless you have really highly sought skills.

It is a definitely tougher nut to crack but, on the other side, it offers significantly more opportunities than Canada.

If I were in your shoes, since you already have residence rights in the EU, I would try my chances in London before trying Canada.
The OP asked about what it's like to live in Canada, the friendliness of the people, and the local environment. And you told him to go to the UK and America? Did you not read the OP's post?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:49 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
It's different, not inferior.....it sucks for people on the outside because it is way harder to get in but if you find a way to get through you are int he end well rewarded for the effort.
You mean the perverted diversity green card lottery and the annual H1B lottery? Please find me a similar system in another OECD country as complicated and unpredictable as that. There's an immigration bill sitting in the Senate since 2013 that specifically addresses these shortcomings, but it will never see the light of day under GOP controlled Congress.

It also sucks for tens of thousands already studying and working in America. Just imagine the outcome if your H1B is not selected in the random lottery even if you have a perfectly stable job with a willing employer sponsor: immediate job loss upon OPT expiration and deportation in 60 days. I have several friends from top Ivy Leagues whose lives were screwed up by H1B lotto and had to relocate to Canada and the UK due to more predictable immigration process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada