Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 18,800 times

Advertisements

Given opportunity to immigrate to Europe or USA how many of you would like to immigrate???
Europe most of the countries more income and longer time off work
USA more diversity in climate and more income as well but less time off

I am Canadian citizen but thinking about moving out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM

183 posts, read 218,468 times
I would love to live in the US somewhere warm as I become older.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Don't think I would ever want to leave Canada, let alone Toronto. I love visiting the States and Europe but never felt compelled for an extended stay.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:30 PM

Toronto yesterday -20C , far from being desired place

Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas667 View Post
Given opportunity to immigrate to Europe or USA how many of you would like to immigrate???
Europe most of the countries more income and longer time off work
USA more diversity in climate and more income as well but less time off

I don't know if I'd permanently immigrate. It might be fun to spend an extended stay working and living in another country, but I'd like to build my life and raise kids here, in the country I grew up in and feel most at home in.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Already did.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:25 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Quote:
Europe most of the countries more income and longer time off work [Emphasis added.]
I'm not sure that the former is true -- it may be for your field, though; I don't know -- and in some of the major European countries, the latter often works out to be true only if you're lucky enough to have a full-time permanent role (i.e., you're not considered to be contract staff). Many young French folks, for instance, work on contract if I'm not mistaken (if they're lucky enough to be employed at all). Working on contract often results in being excluded from some of the nicer perks, even in some European countries as I understand it.

Quote:
USA more diversity in climate and more income as well but less time off [Emphasis added.]
For the ambitious, yes, America can be very rewarding. For the less motivated, however, there seems to be less of a "fat middle ground", something that still seems to exist in Canada. That fat middle ground seems to be disappearing in Canada, though, with it having disappeared completely from some local job markets. If you want to live in the States, then you have to be ready to work and to work very hard.

Most American jobs do tend to offer underwhelming paid time off and many Americans are either afraid to take the holiday time they earn/they're granted or they don't take that time off so they can boast about how industrious they are. I don't get it, but there you are.

Quote:
Do you have or can you obtain citizenship of an EU nation, either by virtue of birth or descent? It can be tricky to live and work there without it. It's harder still for the US, except by using TN status under NAFTA, and that's not meant to be used as a permanent means to live down in the States. Lots to think about. Good luck with it all.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM

I am EU Citizen, currently in Canada but thinking about going back, lack of opportunities and low salaries make me think about going back to EU, most of the jobs that I have done in EU were paying more (I work in IT)

Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
I am EU Citizen, currently in Canada but thinking about going back, lack of opportunities and low salaries make me think about going back to EU, most of the jobs that I have done in EU were paying more (I work in IT)
Roles in Vancouver don't tend to pay well in many fields. Being the only comparatively mild city in Canada, employers there know they can get away with paying less. I'd love to live there, but it doesn't make any financial sense for me to do so. Also, in some fields, Canadian roles, even those in the best paid markets, pay less than roles in other leading countries. I know that I've always made more -- 50-100% more -- working outside of Canada than in it. Even adjusted for the cost of living, I've come out ahead working outside of Canada.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:43 PM

I would not mind going to Toronto but as far as I can see pay over there is not that great either, and are 6 times more people, very few jobs I see advertised on the net, simply it is very hard here, too bad cause I like it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Roles in Vancouver don't tend to pay well in many fields. Being the only comparatively mild city in Canada, employers there know they can get away with paying less. I'd love to live there, but it doesn't make any financial sense for me to do so. Also, in some fields, Canadian roles, even those in the best paid markets, pay less than roles in other leading countries. I know that I've always made more -- 50-100% more -- working outside of Canada than in it. Even adjusted for the cost of living, I've come out ahead working outside of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada