Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 12:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,172,498 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I would like to immigrate to Canada, and are both currently employed in the US. Of course, the first step is for us to be hired full-time in Canada (and sponsored for a work visa, which makes things substantially tougher).

I'm a software engineer (with a university degree), as is he (Ph.D) both with several years of work experience.

When applying for jobs, is there anything we should be aware of that might be different from job hunting in the US? Whether it's a nuance easily overlooked by applicants from the US, or broader cultural differences in the approach/expectations applicable to job hunting/interviewing, it'd be helpful to know. For starters, I know there are certain differences in spelling, which I'll be careful with. Things like that.

Gracias for any other input

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 08-03-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,393,001 times
Looks like no one has followed up ... I'm guessing because really there are no big differences. The same things that U.S. employers are looking for, Canadian employers will be looking for. I know in Victoria at least, there is a push to recruit tech companies from the U.S. to relocate here ...

I've worked in both countries and can say the important thing is your particular job situation, manager, company and not the country you are working in. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM

74 posts, read 88,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I would like to immigrate to Canada, and are both currently employed in the US. Of course, the first step is for us to be hired full-time in Canada (and sponsored for a work visa, which makes things substantially tougher).

I'm a software engineer (with a university degree), as is he (Ph.D) both with several years of work experience.

When applying for jobs, is there anything we should be aware of that might be different from job hunting in the US? Whether it's a nuance easily overlooked by applicants from the US, or broader cultural differences in the approach/expectations applicable to job hunting/interviewing, it'd be helpful to know. For starters, I know there are certain differences in spelling, which I'll be careful with. Things like that.

Good luck with your job hunt. Canada is very much a "rules driven" culture. So don't be different. Don't stand out in any way that's not unimpeachably positive. They drool over credentials here. Credentials seem to matter much more than your actual skills or personality. There's also great ego in people in positions of power. I guess it's the same in the US, but here it seems more prevalent. Don't challenge authority or corporate scripture here. Doing so will not not seen in the "entrepreneurial" or "creative", it will merely get you (very politely of course) never called back.

Canadians are almost all very, very polite. Don't let that fool you. Beneath that veneer they're less accommodating and kind than Americans (to the extent one can generalize about hundreds of millions of people. But as a general rule, it's true).

Good luck to you in your hunt.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,330,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Hi everyone,

I have to ask you.....with these kind of qualifications....why Canada??

The US is so much better for professionals especially in IT.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,330,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAndres View Post
Good luck with your job hunt. Canada is very much a "rules driven" culture. So don't be different. Don't stand out in any way that's not unimpeachably positive. They drool over credentials here. Credentials seem to matter much more than your actual skills or personality. There's also great ego in people in positions of power. I guess it's the same in the US, but here it seems more prevalent. Don't challenge authority or corporate scripture here. Doing so will not not seen in the "entrepreneurial" or "creative", it will merely get you (very politely of course) never called back.

Canadians are almost all very, very polite. Don't let that fool you. Beneath that veneer they're less accommodating and kind than Americans (to the extent one can generalize about hundreds of millions of people. But as a general rule, it's true).

Good luck to you in your hunt.

+ 1

Overall I absolutely agree.

Canadian politeness, especially in the corporate world it's only skin deep, I much prefer to clearly know where I stand in my relationship with others especially in a working environment.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 PM

74 posts, read 88,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
+ 1

Overall I absolutely agree.

Canadian politeness, especially in the corporate world it's only skin deep, I much prefer to clearly know where I stand in my relationship with others especially in a working environment.
I think that's a fantastic point: it would be great to know clearly where one stands. Very tough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada