Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Are there cattle ranches in all Canadian provinces (and places that raise boeufs in Quebec)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
There are likely slaughter cattle in all provinces, however the main industry is in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Yum beef.

Here's a link for beef. ( which backs up mikes claim )

Industry Fast Facts

Here's an image for dairy cows.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Yes but we call them farms here. My brother raises beef cattle along with sheep.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes but we call them farms here. My brother raises beef cattle along with sheep.
I wonder if that's regional, since we cal them ranches here in B.C. Farm wouldn't sound odd to us though.

DOUGLAS LAKE RANCH | FLY FISHING | CATTLE COMPANY | RECREATION & ACCOMMODATIONS | BC CANADA

Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I wonder if that's regional, since we cal them ranches here in B.C. Farm wouldn't sound odd to us though.

DOUGLAS LAKE RANCH | FLY FISHING | CATTLE COMPANY | RECREATION & ACCOMMODATIONS | BC CANADA
In BC I don't think it's a regional thing so much as it depends on the product and the very different breeds of cattle and their respective acreage range and feed requirements. I have acquaintances in both the dairy and the beef cattle industries in BC and they're typically called Dairy Farms (all dairy products) and Cattle or Beef Ranches (all meat products) but I've also heard the beef ranches occassionally being called farms too. Cattle ranches are typically bigger, more spread out for browsing range than dairy farms are. We have a lot of dairy farms in the lower mainland and a lot more cattle ranches up in the interior where the cattle have so much more free range available to them.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:

I always thought it was an east-west thing. Growing up, everyone had a 'farm' and it was generally understood that 'ranches' were really big places, involving thousands of acres, cowboys and cattle out on the range.

But then it began to be understood that a lot of westerners were calling their small acreages a 'ranch' and some of the lustre came off that word around here. We kind of thought then that if that wasn't just like those Albertans, to call a small farm a big name. More recently around here, people have begun to call their twenty acres a 'ranch.' But most people, even those with many thousands of acres still call their farm a farm around here.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In BC I don't think it's a regional thing so much as it depends on the product and the very different breeds of cattle and their respective acreage range and feed requirements. I have acquaintances in both the dairy and the beef cattle industries in BC and they're typically called Dairy Farms (all dairy products) and Cattle or Beef Ranches (all meat products) but I've also heard the beef ranches occassionally being called farms too. Cattle ranches are typically bigger, more spread out for browsing range than dairy farms are. We have a lot of dairy farms in the lower mainland and a lot more cattle ranches up in the interior where the cattle have so much more free range available to them.

Yes, I should of been clearer. Dairy farms I always call farms, not ranches. Beef/Cattle I call ranches. When I think of a ranch, I think of cattle being rounded up.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I always thought it was an east-west thing. Growing up, everyone had a 'farm' and it was generally understood that 'ranches' were really big places, involving thousands of acres, cowboys and cattle out on the range.

But then it began to be understood that a lot of westerners were calling their small acreages a 'ranch' and some of the lustre came off that word around here. We kind of thought then that if that wasn't just like those Albertans, to call a small farm a big name. More recently around here, people have begun to call their twenty acres a 'ranch.' But most people, even those with many thousands of acres still call their farm a farm around here.
In the end what really matters to me, is that we keep a strong Dairy and Cattle industry in Canada. I ONLY buy Canadian, unless there is no other choice OR it's an imported cheese that simply isn't made here.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
In the end what really matters to me, is that we keep a strong Dairy and Cattle industry in Canada. I ONLY buy Canadian, unless there is no other choice OR it's an imported cheese that simply isn't made here.
Likewise for me too, Nat. Not only because I want to support our own economy but also because our meat and dairy products are free of many of the steroids and other medications that are allowed in certain other countries. Additionally, something else that matters to me is that Canada raised meats (beef, bison, pork, lamb and poultries) all looks and tastes different and better to me and I've grown accustomed to that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada