Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

I've been away too long, haven't been up to Canada since 2006 (OMG 10 years!) when I did a roadtrip to Quebec City. This time I want to go somewhere I haven't been before. Of these two Eastern cities, which one would Canadians find more interesting to visit? Or even to live in for some additional perspective.

Enroute (from ABQ)this summer I'll be flying into Boston for a week, then I'll head east to one of these two cities and then probably do a layover break in Toronto on my way back to NM. I think nearby hiking (or bechcombing) outside the cities, and taking in the breezy salty air, nature's AC in a sense will be a fantastic escape from the desert heat to come this summer. And of course having fabulous food and chatting with the locals.

I know Halifax is bigger. By viewing google streemaps Halifax looks more modern and St. John's looks a little more old school. The coast near St. John's looks more rugged and challenging to hike. Would a side trip to Cape Breton be comparable for rugged coastal hiking? I think I'm leaning more towards St. John's even though Halifax seems a lot easier to get to. Fishing for some thoughts here on both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
I think both cities have a lot to offer, but I would pick St. John's and Newfoundland to visit. They have a very interesting culture, the old town in St. John's looks really different and the geography is just amazing.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I like Halifax a lot and would choose it over St. John's as a place to live.

But to visit? St. John's by a mile.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am planning a visit to Newfoundland late this coming summer. I plan on visiting Gros Morne National Park as well as some of the more out of the way places like Burgeo and other small towns. I have all manner of tour books and travel information. I even have a Geological tour and Guide. I am also interested on Celtic music and lots of other things.

I know that my fuel costs will be higher but I am more concerned with the cost of lodging. The hotels listed in the tour books list most of the lodging at over $100cdn per night. Are there any zero star motels available. I only want a place to sleep that has a bit more room than the passenger seat of my car. It is not because I am cheap but because I want to have something left over for fish chowder and Screech.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
airbnb.ca shows rooms for $43-57, apartments $57-83+, too, in St.John's.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM

I am planning to visit Newfoundland late this Summer. I expect the trip will take at least three weeks. I have read all manner of tour books and have several road maps as well as a geology map with guide. I am interested in how people make a living where they live, the geology and other natural resources, Irish and other folk music, and the really out of the way places like Burgeo. I intend to stop at both National parks.

My primary concern is the cost of lodging. Most of the offerings in the tour books are well over $100cdn a night. Are there any lower cost motels even if they are no star rated? I am not fussy over lodging. Note: I rode a motorcycle from San Francisco to New York and slept mostly on picnic tables.

This may be a double post.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 AM

nuala - I forgot to check that source. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:10 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
If I went with St. John's, I'd probably stick around there for about 4 nights, but would rather stick to the the city and periphery around it. Seems like there is some very good hiking options, right on the edge of town. I'd love to see Gros Morne, but that's a 7 hour drive away from St. John's so I'd save the western and northern reaches of the island for another trip.

If I chose Halifax, I'd definitely make time for a side trip to Cape Breton or maybe even PEI.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

But to visit? St. John's by a mile.
Why?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why?
It's just a lot more unique than Halifax in many ways: culture, geography, architecture, layout.

Halifax feels much closer to the North American mainstream IMO.

I am big on "unique" places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada