Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 11:30 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

In the new issue of Classic Trains magazine is a picture of a Canadian National freight passing the community of St-Jacques, Quebec in the 1940s. There is a beautiful twin-steepled church in the background with a school next to it. This is what it looks like today:

https://goo.gl/maps/AAmJaaSy1fB2

Not knowing French, I sent an English-language e-mail to the town's website asking if the church was still in use. I wonder if I will get a response. Looks like the railroad is long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In the new issue of Classic Trains magazine is a picture of a Canadian National freight passing the community of St-Jacques, Quebec in the 1940s. There is a beautiful twin-steepled church in the background with a school next to it. This is what it looks like today:

https://goo.gl/maps/AAmJaaSy1fB2

Not knowing French, I sent an English-language e-mail to the town's website asking if the church was still in use. I wonder if I will get a response. Looks like the railroad is long gone.
Yes, it appears that church is still in use, judging from a quick Google search.

I wouldn't put too much weight into a non-response if they don't answer. One of my kids worked on a school project last year on a religious order and their multiple messsages went unanswered and they were in French. Small religious organizations in Quebec these days tend to be understaffed and overworked.

BTW this town was originally settled by Acadians from the Boston area who had previously been deported from Nova Scotia. This happened just a few years prior to the American Revolution.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
I sent the e-mail to what I think was the town hall or chamber of commerce.

I see a grain elevator near where the railroad used to be.

https://goo.gl/maps/CtEHpmrUHwn

Looks like corn is grown there. I thought it would be too cold to grow that far north.

https://goo.gl/maps/s5TobLeXr1L2

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 02-22-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 08:02 PM

Corn is grown all over southern Quebec, even way past Quebec City going east.

My house sits in what used to be corn fields, and there are still many corn fields nearby - like 2 minutes away by car.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 PM

Corn is also an annual plant, so if you have decent soil and warm summer temperatures, you're fine. Rivière-du-Loup, 2 hours NE of Quebec City, still averages highs in the 20s C (from 70F to the low 80s) during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada