Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 PM

525 posts, read 454,126 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm planning on becoming a doctor (if I somehow get into med school!) and then immigrating to Canada, preferably to a rural area. Of course, once I get to Canada, I want to do whatever I can to help it. So I was wondering, which provinces/territories need doctors the most? And what specialties?

I'm willing to tolerate the cold, but probably not the prairies (this might sound a little odd, but as someone who has grown up in a fairly forested area, I NEED trees!).

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post

I'm willing to tolerate the cold, but probably not the prairies (this might sound a little odd, but as someone who has grown up in a fairly forested area, I NEED trees!).

Thank you in advance!
Oh.....ok I was going to say Manitoba, but never mind.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
This is three years old, but...

B.C. has plenty of trees.

https://www.doctorsofbc.ca/press-rel...al-communities

Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
They must have some kind of system in place that can tell physicians where there is a need. All you might need to do is contact the college of physicians of whatever province you're interested in going to.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I think you'd probably make more money by staying in the USA and have to deal with a lot less government bureaucracy.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Canadian,+d...+.+bureaucracy

As for trees? nothing but landscape clutter, this is where its at =
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psf662c787.jpg

Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think you'd probably make more money by staying in the USA and have to deal with a lot less government bureaucracy.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Canadian,+d...+.+bureaucracy

As for trees? nothing but landscape clutter, this is where its at =
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psf662c787.jpg
Hmmm. The article is by Dr. Brian Day, a well known advocate for a private system. He runs a private clinic here in Vancouver and has run afoul many times with the Canada Health Act. His agenda is clear, as are his politics. He even did one of the most pathetic interview on Fox News O'reilly show, where he blasted the Canadian system with lies and exaggerations.

The difference in running a private practice in Canada compared to the US is that in Canada you actually have less paperwork. A doctor in the US needs staff to deal with the myriad of insurers etc.

Some doctors in the US have had enough.

This U.S. doctor is moving to Canada. Find out why.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
The rural Maritimes in general would be a great place to begin a search. These areas have serious shortages, have historic charm, and are climatically average for southern Canada. They aren't overly isolated or remote, and there's always a small city within a reasonable commute.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM

525 posts, read 454,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Hmmm. The article is by Dr. Brian Day, a well known advocate for a private system. He runs a private clinic here in Vancouver and has run afoul many times with the Canada Health Act. His agenda is clear, as are his politics. He even did one of the most pathetic interview on Fox News O'reilly show, where he blasted the Canadian system with lies and exaggerations.

The difference in running a private practice in Canada compared to the US is that in Canada you actually have less paperwork. A doctor in the US needs staff to deal with the myriad of insurers etc.

Some doctors in the US have had enough.

This U.S. doctor is moving to Canada. Find out why.
Yeah, my parents are doctors, and they have a LOT of junk to deal with. Not to mention more lawsuits.

If more doctors move from the US to Canada, it would probably be a good thing; it seems like you have a brain drain problem.

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/jcdum...?cb=1443707259

Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The rural Maritimes in general would be a great place to begin a search. These areas have serious shortages, have historic charm, and are climatically average for southern Canada. They aren't overly isolated or remote, and there's always a small city within a reasonable commute.
The cost of living is quite low, too. Property prices are low. You can live quite grand in a rural area on a doctor's salary.

But the biggest shortage of doctors is probably in rural B.C. right now:
B.C. family doctor shortage worsening, despite campaign promise

Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Yeah, my parents are doctors, and they have a LOT of junk to deal with. Not to mention more lawsuits.

If more doctors move from the US to Canada, it would probably be a good thing; it seems like you have a brain drain problem.

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/jcdum...?cb=1443707259
I'm not sure though if they measure brain drain by counting only the Canadian doctors that leave, and not new doctors from other countries coming in? I've heard that it's not easy for some foreign trained doctors to get licensed to practice in Canada.

Doctor shortages are not just a Canadian issue. The US is facing a shortage of about 90,000 in the 9 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada