Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Trudeau will always say the wrong thing.

His life was so privileged such that he believes the role of Prime Minister to be glamour.

Trudeau: "there's much more work ahead of us than behind us"
There are questions about misrepresenting the facts, whether this is a toxic regression rather than a revolution.

How's that working?
Columnist views are waiting for change, not regression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

His life was so privileged such that he believes the role of Prime Minister to be glamour.

There are questions about misrepresenting the facts, whether this is a toxic regression rather than a revolution.

How's that working?
What are you talking about toxic regression vs revolution? Also, why do you think someone from a 'privileged' background can't be a good leader?

Quote:
Everyone from western Canada who moves to Ontario knows that they are perceived as redneck buffoons. Where does that come from?
I've learned to be very cautious about those who speak with such broad brush strokes. Sort of like 'everyone' from western Canada who moves to Ontario knows that they are perceived as redneck buffoons. Essentially, you're asking the wrong person where that perception comes from because I don't have such perceptions. I typically judge someone for who they are as a person and not 'perceptions' - perceptions are dangerous. Treating a human being with respect and being open minded are qualities.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2016 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-06-2016, 03:06 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Everyone from western Canada who moves to Ontario knows that they are perceived as redneck buffoons. Where does that come from?
I don't know. I'm originally from Ontario, but have lived in Alberta for years. When I'm back in Ontario, and speak with strangers (such as in the hotel bar, for example) about coming from Alberta, current events, my job, etc., with people who do not know me, they just take me as I come. No "redneck buffoon" BS; and indeed, the Ontarians I've met are more interested in hearing about daily life in Alberta (which is really not very different from daily life in Ontario) than they are in telling me that I'm a "redneck buffoon."

There are exceptions, of course, and I did meet one [expletive deleted] in an Ontario hotel bar who insisted I couldn't be a real lawyer because I wasn't called to the bar in Ontario, and an Alberta lawyer wasn't a real lawyer anyway. But he was pretty drunk, and the bartender eventually threw him out.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I don't know. I'm originally from Ontario, but have lived in Alberta for years. When I'm back in Ontario, and speak with strangers (such as in the hotel bar, for example) about coming from Alberta, current events, my job, etc., with people who do not know me, they just take me as I come. No "redneck buffoon" BS; and indeed, the Ontarians I've met are more interested in hearing about daily life in Alberta (which is really not very different from daily life in Ontario) than they are in telling me that I'm a "redneck buffoon."

There are exceptions, of course, and I did meet one [expletive deleted] in an Ontario hotel bar who insisted I couldn't be a real lawyer because I wasn't called to the bar in Ontario, and an Alberta lawyer wasn't a real lawyer anyway. But he was pretty drunk, and the bartender eventually threw him out.
Yeah, where I live people don't assume Albertans are redneck buffoons either. Although the average person would expect them to have significantly differing political views.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:

How's that working?

You are very right about that, whenever Trudeau has to make a choice between two things for example he will, according to Conservatives, always make the wrong one no matter which one he makes.

With the wildfire in Fort McMurray for example if Trudeau went there he would have been grandstanding and getting in the way of the workers but by not going there he showed that he does not care about Albertans. At least we had 9 years of Harper to find what we disliked and hated about his policies the right wing had full on hatred of Trudeau and his government since October 20 2015.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Trudeau is also tight-lipped about F-35 purchasing decision.

I rememeber him saying no but so far he didn't say a thing.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

He should say no. I believe they're re-tendering the project. The F35 is a debacle. We should just get the SuperHornet and be done with it. As much as I like the idea of an Uber Griffen or a Rafale.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

I am just guessing but I would think he would want DND to get back to him with a new review of the needs for the new plane to ensure that the report is not bias due to input of the previous government. And I think any government replacing any defeated party would do that due the complicated matter and the change in focus of DND.

I will not comment on what DND needs as I don't know planes very well or the needs of our Air Force.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

I actually read an article a few years back that Calgarians spend more as a percentage of their income on museums and the performing arts than any other city in Canada. My Doctor is an Albertan and he seems pretty comfortable as an urbanite.. I would never have guessed where he was from until he saw a kid in the Dr's office in the waiting room with a Cagary Flames jersey and high fived him and said he was from Alberta.

Besides the BIGGEST redneck Mayor of a big city this country ever had hailed from Toronto so..... um yeah lol..

Old 05-06-2016, 06:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I actually read an article a few years back that Calgarians spend more as a percentage of their income on museums and the performing arts than any other city in Canada. My Doctor is an Albertan and he seems pretty comfortable as an urbanite.. I would never have guessed where he was from until he saw a kid in the Dr's office in the waiting room with a Cagary Flames jersey and high fived him and said he was from Alberta.

Besides the BIGGEST redneck Mayor of a big city this country ever had hailed from Toronto so..... um yeah lol..
I've been to Alberta many times and I like Calgary. It's not a place I would choose to live ( I like an ocean ) but the city has nice parks, a nice downtown....although a little dead at night.

As for the people, the only rednecks I met are out in more rural areas, but that's true anywhere.

Several of my friends are from Alberta. Some Calgary, some Edmonton and some from really small towns.
None of them are rednecks in any sense.

I use to have to deal with a lot of people from Alberta on a daily basis and even travel to Edmonton ( company jet...those were the days LOL ) and Calgary. Alberta and Albertans do have a different view and it does tend to be a little right of centre overall. That is a generalization of course.

EDIT: Fusion2, have you been to Calgary or The Rockies?

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-06-2016 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada