Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 12:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is nobody's fault. Of course people should be free to buy cheaper products. Just don't blame China for "stealing" jobs, because that's a retarded accusation. You can't enjoy the benefits and then criticize those who make cheaper products. That's all I am saying.
Well, I completely agree with you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think that botti is being objective in his own way, from the viewpoint of an immigrant. I think people sometimes have the idea that immigrants should be almost overly grateful ( the if-you-don't-like-it-here-go-back-home comments ). Some immigrants are very critical of the country to which they immigrate because they miss the familiar things in their original country and because it can be extremely stressful to immigrate into a different culture. As they continue to find heir place in a new society, their views change. I have heard very critical things from immigrants to both the U.S. and Canada about their adoptive homelands.

Some immigrants go the other way, and idealize the new country to an almost ridiculous extent. Perhaps it is partly a way of of keeping the scary aspects of immigration at bay. Being an immigrant is a brave and scary thing. It is a process.
It is certainly understandable that there is a large culture shock and change that comes with moving to North America from many other parts of the world. It is a different point of view than I'm used to hearing, where it seems like the immigrants that do speak about the issue, idolize their new country a lot as you stated.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:47 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think that botti is being objective in his own way, from the viewpoint of an immigrant. I think people sometimes have the idea that immigrants should be almost overly grateful ( the if-you-don't-like-it-here-go-back-home comments ). Some immigrants are very critical of the country to which they immigrate because they miss the familiar things in their original country and because it can be extremely stressful to immigrate into a different culture. As they continue to find heir place in a new society, their views change. I have heard very critical things from immigrants to both the U.S. and Canada about their adoptive homelands.

Some immigrants go the other way, and idealize the new country to an almost ridiculous extent. Perhaps it is partly a way of of keeping the scary aspects of immigration at bay. Being an immigrant is a brave and scary thing. It is a process.
Thanks

I forget to respond to his post earlier. Yes, I have no desire to visit the Prairies, or the Maritimes, ever, however, that doesn't translated into "disdain". Those places simply don't interest me, and that's all. For example, I have no interested in visiting 80% of China either, or Switzerland, because that's not my thing. It doesn't mean I disdain those. I am just uninterested.

You are right that some immigrants can be critical of the host country. I do that a lot, sometimes rightly, and sometimes probably excessively, but that's my right. Just because I moved to a developed country now doesn't mean everything I see and experience is superior to the old country I came from. And I think one of the greatest benefits of receiving immigrants is not just their skills and taxes, but also their way of looking at things. People who lived in Canada for generations, especially those who don't travel that much may be stuck in certain mindset and have trouble to go beyond that. Sometimes local people can be offended like "why are you criticizing since you choose to be here" - that's a faulty logic which I won't dispute. I like any Canadians have the right to be criticize Canada that I live in, work for and pay taxes to. Of someone thinks I have less a right to do, then that's his problem.

I do see many immigrants after moving to Canada find everything in their home country abominable and desperately try to convince everyone the new country is far better in every aspect. I truly have no respect for these people because these people don't know critical thinking. They hold a deeply biased view about both countries which are not helpful to anyone. Trust me, I know plenty of Chinese immigrants who never say anything about China and always put everything in a negative light. What can I say... I mean just look at those completely clueless grannies who hold boards in Chinatown talking about "Chinese government's organ harvesting". I pity those soulless people who cease to care about truth or lie any more.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It is certainly understandable that there is a large culture shock and change that comes with moving to North America from many other parts of the world. It is a different point of view than I'm used to hearing, where it seems like the immigrants that do speak about the issue, idolize their new country a lot as you stated.
Not just immigrants, but many who didn't immigrate at all.

The kind of mindset they have and the heavy bias they display is revolting. I have been watching this talk show where this eloquent man who is supposed to have read a lot of books and is trying to educate people constantly looks at the US in such rose-tinted glasses, often with such self-hatred that I couldn't continue listening to him any more (despite his many valid points elsewhere).

Let me give you an example: in one episode he was explaining why the US used to pass anti-Chinese legislation. Instead of denouncing the racism back then, he said that it was because the Chinese workers were too thrifty, not sociable, culturally closed and most of all worked too hard! During the entire 50 minutes, he never said anything wrong with the racist policy, but rather that the Chinese workers were discriminated against because of their own fault and that the almighty Uncle Sam had a point! -- since when being thrifty, shy and working too hard becomes a sin worthy of mass prosecution!

Trust me, there are so many utterly clueless people who grossly idolize the US (and the Western countries), including some of my own family members. You can't imagine how many times I try to argue with them.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:

The kind of mindset they have and the heavy bias they display is revolting. I have been watching this talk show where this eloquent man who is supposed to have read a lot of books and is trying to educate people constantly looks at the US in such rose-tinted glasses, often with such self-hatred that I couldn't continue listening to him any more (despite his many valid points elsewhere).

Let me give you an example: in one episode he was explaining why the US used to pass anti-Chinese legislation. Instead of denouncing the racism back then, he said that it was because the Chinese workers were too thrifty, not sociable, culturally closed and most of all worked too hard! During the entire 50 minutes, he never said anything wrong with the racist policy, but rather that the Chinese workers were discriminated against because of their own fault and that the almighty Uncle Sam had a point! -- since when being thrifty, shy and working too hard becomes a sin worthy of mass prosecution!

Trust me, there are so many utterly clueless people who grossly idolize the US (and the Western countries), including some of my own family members. You can't imagine how many times I try to argue with them.
Yes I can, yes I can.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:16 PM

525 posts, read 454,126 times
My family immigrated to the US, and whenever the topic of the US comes up, it's always my two siblings (Team "America is the Greatest Country in the World") vs my parents and me (Team "America is the Greatest Bully in the World").

Sometimes I like to joke about how my dad, despite having a negative opinion of the US like I do, is one of the most American Americans in the world because he actively chose to move here; the rest of us were just dragged along.

I also find it funny how I spent my entire childhood in the process of becoming an American, and now I'll spend my adult life trying to figure out how to leave the country I came to!

Having said that, all of us have both good things and bad things to say about the US, and I'm incredibly lucky to live in the first world.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think that in some cases immigrants don't actually voice their opinion, if negative, of the country they immigrated to, to the natural born citizens of that country. It's not a good way to make friends. I've lived in two other countries and I wouldn't express all my opinions necessarily to the citizens of those countries. I don't find botti's opinions extraordinary and I expect that his opinions will also change with time.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

Yikes. I'm rather shocked someone could actually try to support those racist laws to keep them out. It is a bad idea to look at anywhere through just rose colored glasses and not see the issues in a place, or eventually you will fall down in the quality of life.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
My family immigrated to the US, and whenever the topic of the US comes up, it's always my two siblings (Team "America is the Greatest Country in the World") vs my parents and me (Team "America is the Greatest Bully in the World").

Sometimes I like to joke about how my dad, despite having a negative opinion of the US like I do, is one of the most American Americans in the world because he actively chose to move here; the rest of us were just dragged along.

I also find it funny how I spent my entire childhood in the process of becoming an American, and now I'll spend my adult life trying to figure out how to leave the country I came to!

Having said that, all of us have both good things and bad things to say about the US, and I'm incredibly lucky to live in the first world.
There is a Canadian movie called Mambo Italiano. It's a comedy about an Italian immigrant family in Canada. I remember one line that made me laugh.

The mother and father are fighting and she says something along the lines " You said, we're going to America! No one told me there are two America's !! "

Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is a Canadian movie called Mambo Italiano. It's a comedy about an Italian immigrant family in Canada. I remember one line that made me laugh.

The mother and father are fighting and she says something along the lines " You said, we're going to America! No one told me there are two America's !! "
Oh that movie was so awesome!! I fell in love with Luke Kirby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada