Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
But if US is so much full of bigotry and Trump (literally Hilter), then why so many people (including muslims) are flocking there? You don't want to come to US (and you are not muslim I assume), but they want it so much to move to US. If it is so bad there I was expecting the exodus from there, rather than more and more immigrants and refugees coming. And you know the answer - because it is good for them in US (and in all other western countries full of racists, xenophobes, mysoginists, etc) Because they don't believe in all this BS spread by the leftist / marxist propaganda. The real ignorance is to believe in this propaganda.
Because some of them come from worse places than the US, as you have already pointed out. Donald Trump is only one side of America. America has long had a reputation of freedom and of welcoming strangers, and even though both the US and Canada historically held prejudiced views of many peoples, including Jews and the Japanese and Germans it didn't stop those earlier immigrants from coming. The fact that non-WASPs still hoped to immigrate to the US or Canada doesn't change the fact that they faced prejudice and bigotry so I don't know what argument you are making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
In think in an act of protest people like me easily spend $10 000 or more a year traveling in the USA .... should just stop going. If enough people take their money else where we can graciously return the slap in the face. Just like many other nations do especially to developing countries ... if they dont like their leaders ..... they move their money and business out. Lets see how places like Florida do when foreign tourist choose to go elsewhere. No nation really can afford to get shut out of the global game if the want regain prosperity. So far I see a lit of doors starting to shut in Trumps face.
I was thinking the same thing, the girl should just stop shopping in the US and spend her dough in Canada.

But as another person stated, IF she did provoke them, it's not a good idea to be provoking border patrol agents, especially during these times. I cross the US Mexico border all the time and they literally have the power to do ANYTHING to you- detain you, beat you up, etc....no thank you.

Last edited by rosa surf; 02-09-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I am well aware that bad things .. worse things happen all over the world.

But when a nation that is suppose to be part of the world leading the was for progress ex social justice and equality takes such as significant nose dive it is reason for everyone who values these things to speak up ... speak out and push back hard!

When you have a fire burning in your neighbour's back yard you dont just shut the door and close the blinds hoping it wont spead.

What is going on in our global neighbour's backyard could likely spread... I am not going wait around hoping it all pans out because people that suppose this type of hate and injustice are not waiting around to spread their messages.

In point form why this matter so much to me:

- I am woman .... making sexism socail okay works against all of best interests
- I have family living in the USA
- I love to travel and want to be able to feel safe when doing so
- I am of Arab descent and my comfort when travelling will be indirectly and possibly directly impacted
- I am married to someone who could be at risk due what is going on in the USA
- I support anti-racism, Gay rights, cultural and religious diversity which all appear to be directly being threatend by what is going on in the USA

So in short ... I am not okay with my rights and values being threatened. Anyone who does not understand how big a deal this situation is needs to wake up. Alot of damage can be done it 4 years.

I feel the same way living in a border region and traveling back and forth between countries. People seem to forget how much all of can affect millions of people.

My husband is an LPR and now I am scared to travel abroad, we already bought tickets to go abroad soon. I don't know what could happen. Some rash decision could be made and he might end up stuck somewhere.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
I think America has a huge divide and it has never been so obvious then during and after that election. Most of the world saw America the good and great world leader .... but now the ugly aspects of America have boiled to the surface and they seems to be all embodied in what Trump appears to represent.

America is not Trump ... he is one of the faces of America ( that represents that worst aspects of America in my opinion).

People want to take part if America the great... the land where you can make all your dreams come true... they want to have freedom ... liberty and justice ... the don't want Trump's America ( America the global bully, sexist, homophobic racist America).
Do you really think our lives are that different compared to before the election season and now?

I think the internet and news can really get to some people and make them paranoid, get out and experience the real America. as in taking a trip there, not reading CNN articles.

Go to a random gas station or grocery store and observe what you see...

Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do you really think our lives are that different compared to before the election season and now?

I think the internet and news can really get to some people and make them paranoid, get out and experience the real America. as in taking a trip there, not reading CNN articles.

Go to a random gas station or grocery store and observe what you see...
Exactly. US is a great place with great people. That is why it attracts so many immigrants... And so many haters who are just envy.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Exactly. US is a great place with great people. That is why it attracts so many immigrants... And so many haters who are just envy.
And its a really complicated place of course, many people can look at it and black and white, they see Trump was elected and label it a hate filled racist nation...

however there are many reasons to vote for him, many just like the idea of a non politician as president, many like his anti-corruption/anti-establishment positions (nothing to do with race what so ever)

also at the same time you have states who are legalizing marijuana for recreational use left and right and we are one of the few nations that have same sex marriage recognized.

shoot the majority of Americans didn't even vote for Trump

i was very surprised how many protested against the immigration ban that was attempted by Trump, i knew there was going to be backlash but i wasn't expecting such a huge turnout to support a very small immigrant population, good to see so many people who are standing for the rights of those immigrants.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

This Swedish rape thing is still being told as fact? Different countries define rape in law very differently.
Exactly. It is tiresome hearing about how groping and being dry humped on public transport is as bad as rape. Someone throwing a handful of semen at you is not the same as being raped even you do invite it by wearing a slutty skirt.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ......,

[quote=rosa surf;47141013]I was thinking the same thing, the girl should just stop shopping in the US and spend her dough in Canada.

But as another person stated, IF she did provoke them, it's not a good idea to be provoking border patrol agents, especially during these times. I cross the US Mexico border all the time and they literally have the power to do ANYTHING to you- detain you, beat you up, etc....no thank you.[/QUOTE
USA customs does not have the right to assault anyone. Anyone who accepts that treatment after the incident takes place is part of the problem. If it happend to me of would make sure it hit the front page of as many news paper and it went viral ...... I would not back down and ensure there was an inquiry and I got justice. These people work for the government... the government works for the people...... so I dont put up with the BS on my side of the boarder and you have the biggest drama if any country pulled that BS on me once back home.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM

[quote=klmrocks;47143391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I was thinking the same thing, the girl should just stop shopping in the US and spend her dough in Canada.

But as another person stated, IF she did provoke them, it's not a good idea to be provoking border patrol agents, especially during these times. I cross the US Mexico border all the time and they literally have the power to do ANYTHING to you- detain you, beat you up, etc....no thank you.[/QUOTE

USA customs does not have the right to assault anyone. Anyone who accepts that treatment after the incident takes place is part of the problem. If it happend to me of would make sure it hit the front page of as many news paper and it went viral ...... I would not back down and ensure there was an inquiry and I got justice. These people work for the government... the government works for the people...... so I dont put up with the BS on my side of the boarder and you have the biggest drama if any country pulled that BS on me once back home.

They've abused their power for many years (over here), it is something that is well known by OUR COMMUNITY. Scary things have happened to people I know and I have heard of worst things that have happened to others. The general public will of course discredit it, especially nowadays.

They have power, control, weapons and sometimes power trips. Some of them are very nice and professional, some are disgruntled and angry. Not a good idea to provoke one of them.

Last edited by rosa surf; 02-10-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Exactly. It is tiresome hearing about how groping and being dry humped on public transport is as bad as rape. Someone throwing a handful of semen at you is not the same as being raped even you do invite it by wearing a slutty skirt.
It's also tiresome having men telling women what they should and shouldn't be offended by. Groping is disgusting, invasive, offensive.

It may not be the same as rape, but both are INVASIVE and unacceptable. Having a random dirty man come and grab your private parts is the grossest thing a woman can experience. All adults must learn how to control themselves. If you can't keep your grubby hands to yourself when you see a short skirt, you should probably stay home. Blaming another person for your idiocy is a cop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada